Hey, I've been thinking about getting a Gibson Les Paul Studio...what would you guys say about this guitar...i play hard rock/classic rock/metal
Have you seen one in real life? They don't look nearly as nice as on the Gibson site! I'd either save for a standard or get a different brand, to be honest.
They are very nice guitars, but smb is right, in person they look very cheap.

Try finding a used standard, or a standard faded.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by smb
Have you seen one in real life? They don't look nearly as nice as on the Gibson site! I'd either save for a standard or get a different brand, to be honest.

What are you talking about!? They look so much better up front.

Anyway, I don't really suggest getting a studio...they're good if you find a good one in the patch, but from my experiences...I hate them.

I suggest atleast saving up for a Gibson Les Paul Classic (the secks) or maybe an etlist or a ltd or esp ec-1000 if you're willing to go the stretch and you REALLY want a les paul shaped guitar.

edit: Gibson Classics and Standards look better up front, sorry.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Les Pauls are classics, no doubt. But, if you want to get that great sound with the awesome looks (because no matter how much people deny it, looks matter) then save for the standard. You can not go wrong with a Les Paul Standard
I'd like to restate my suggestion of the faded standard.

Exact same specs, but they cost 700 dollars less, and the finish feels nicer.

Note: It's not faded in the sense that the crappy SG specials are, it's much nicer.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Get the Studio. They look awsome up close. Take a look at the specifications on the web site and compare the studio to the others. If you like paying more for a binding, then go ahead and get the others.

A binding contributes a lot to the tone . . . Not.

Neck Pickups: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker
Bridge Pickups: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
Vox AD50VT
if you want a single cut, get a Washburn Idol. better fret access, shorter guitar, so you dont feel all weird playing in first position, or tuning, and they look a hell of a lot better

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-washburn-WI66-PRO-IDOL-66-Nick-Catanese-BLS-guitar_W0QQitemZ150097926422QQcategoryZ33048QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats just one
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by c10250
You guys don't know what you're talking about. Get the Studio. They look awsome up close. Take a look at the specifications on the web site and compare the studio to the others. If you like paying more for a binding, then go ahead and get the others.

Um....

The neck binding makes a world of difference when it comes to playability.

And those humbuckers....

Are not known for good tone.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Plenty better in that price range, i would rather have an ibanez prestige than what i have now but im happy with what i have. Its an ok guitar. People say the les pauls feel odd, which they do at first, but i got used to it. The distortions i get could be better but my pedal beefs it up. The cleans are great though.
IMHO, a Studio is nothing more than a Standard that only lacks certain aesthetics that don't affect tone I.E. body and neck binding.
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Vox AD50VT
Quote by c10250

Actually, binding matters a lot.

And I've played a studio...and I hated those pickups and...they don't look THAT awesome up close >_>, but they do look nice.

And what are you to say that we don't know what we're talking about.

Just my opinion...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
Actually, binding matters a lot.

Just my opinion...

I rest my case!
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Jinskee

I've played a studio...and I hated those pickups and...they don't look THAT awesome up close >_>, but they do look nice.

Just my opinion...

OK, I guess that if you hate the Pickups (490R Alnico magnet humbucker, 498T Alnico magnet humbucker), I respect your opinion. But I do have to say, those pickups rock IMO, but , indeed sound a bit different than the classic picups.

Personally, I love the sound of the Alnico magnet pickups. . .but to each his own

I would suggest trying them side-by-side and making your own decision.

The "you don't know what you're talking about" suggestion sounded a bit more harsh than was meant by the statement . . . sorry.
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Vox AD50VT
No problem. It's my opinion anyway, what does it matter.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by c10250
I rest my case!

Neck binding makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178
Neck binding makes a BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!

Educate me. Why?
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Vox AD50VT
well I can't find a good pic, but on Gibson guitars the neck binding lays over the edges of the frets, so your strings NEVER get caught under them, and they are infinitely more comfortable to play on.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by hamish5178
. . .the neck binding lays over the edges of the frets, so your strings NEVER get caught under them, and they are infinitely more comfortable to play on.

I have no clue what you're talking about. I am sitting here right now with two guitars in front of me, one with a neck binding, and another without. I can't for the life of me, figure why one would be "more comfortable" to play on, and how strings can get caught under them . . .

I think a neck binding looks awsome, but as far as being "more comfortable", I think it's like saying, "dot inlays are more comfortable to play on than square inlays". It makes no difference.

Maybe I'm just not understanding. A picture might help.
Gibson Sonex 180 Delux
Vox AD50VT
I have a Studio and i love it. If you really want to you could change the pups to burstbuckers but the stock ones are fine imo.
Sig What?
I have a Les Paul Studio and I think it's great. Sure, maybe the Classic or Standard is better, but is it $1000 better? I don't think so.

The Studio, as mentioned before, doesn't have the binding. But I actually prefer it without. I think it looks cleaner, simpler, overall less ornate. I've always preferred the stripped-down look. (Except uncovered humbuckers. Don't like that.)

Studios are gorgeous, I think. The musiciansfriend photo doesn't do them justice. There you can't see the grain of the wood on the top, but mine (purchased from Guitar Center) has the maple in all its grainy glory, which is one of the reasons the Les Paul is the most beautiful guitar in the world. (ES-335s being a close second.)

I can't compare the sound to the Standard or the Classic, because I haven't played them. I knew the Studio was for me for the above reasons.

You can't go wrong with the Les Paul Studio.
Can't stop the signal.
I have 2 studios and 1 Standard and the binding does nothing for the playability it just feels a bit different. And i think the Alpine White Studio is way cool in the looks department.