Page 1 of 2
My bands getting ready for our first show, and I just want to know, what looks good on stage with a bassist , and what's just plain stupid , because I don't know.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
This is going to seem stupid to some people, because everyone has different tastes, but I move around a lot, like just running back and forth, and do a couple of power hops. Basically just whatever I feel like doing at the time. Don't just stand around. It's a really boring show when the band just stands around.
Try walking around the front of the stage getting the crowed to mosh with you
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Basic is for losers.

Do it to the beat,

Left, right back MASSIVE HEADBAND, repeat.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Watch live videos of your favourite bands and watch what their bassist do.

Rinse and repeat.

If you're not one for moving about, do what Chris from Muse does - standing still, plus POWER HEADBANG!!!!!

I run around, skip about, headband, guitar duel with the guitarists, hold up my bass and play it Slash stylie, jump off the drum riser and show off mah bass face. And that's when I'm not singing lead...
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
You play music. standing around can be okay if you find other ways to show that you're having a good time.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I'm the most animated in the band and guess who gets the comments?

i'll post a video for your viewing pleasure..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn0O_02l4P8
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Watch Incubus's (and yes, it's s's you bastards) "Live at Red Rocks" DVD. Ben Kenney (their bassist) just goes nuts throughout basically the entire show. Running around, jumping from the drum platform, and skipping.

But it's manly skipping. On the manliness scale, it's between a red-meat-breakfast and 10:30 a.m. shadow. Honestly.
Quote by TurdOrz
Watch Incubus's (and yes, it's s's you bastards)

Actually is it not Incubus' or was that a lame attempt at a joke? I'm sorry if I missed it though I don't like bad comedy my bad.

Anyway I've never actually had a gig but from what I've seen of live groups as long as you're conveying to the audience you're having a good time I think you're good. I really like to see a bass player just kinda standing there grooving along to the beat doing a little heel tap and moving his head in loose circles. It shows that he's having a good time but he's still not acting like an idiot. A good example of this to a heavier music is actually in doublebasser's video where he's rocking out showing he's having a good time but at the same time still being calm enough to properly deliver a good bass line.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by IWasHere!
take off ur clothes

Okay, but, do you mean sexually like a stripper, or just rip of my shirt and throw it to the crowd?
Quote by Confused4930
You play music. standing around can be okay if you find other ways to show that you're having a good time.

yeah, just standing around, looking like I'm having fun was my first idea, cuz when I go crazy, I look like a dumbass!! But I have the biggest amp, so I want to look like I'm feeling my sweet beats, I'll probably post it on youtube or something, so you guys can enjoy the fruits of your great advice too!
Quote by Felkara
Watch live videos of your favourite bands and watch what their bassist do.

Rinse and repeat.

If you're not one for moving about, do what Chris from Muse does - standing still, plus POWER HEADBANG!!!!!

I run around, skip about, headband, guitar duel with the guitarists, hold up my bass and play it Slash stylie, jump off the drum riser and show off mah bass face. And that's when I'm not singing lead...

Sounds cool but, I can't find my bands in music stores (videos at least) and I got dial-up internet, I'd also like to know what "headbanding" and "dueling with guitarists" is.
I'd also like to say that I ****ing love your little cat-like-gif-thing, it is ****ing awesome!!!
Last edited by pie_man_25 at Mar 8, 2007,
Watch John Entwistle. He's the MAN when it comes to stage antics (i.e. Just stand almost perfectly still and have this look to total disgust and contempt on your face).

I'm a pretty gigantic guy, so I like yelling at the crowd, doing metal signs, and pointing at people in the audience. After a song, pose like you've just beaten your opponent senseless in a boxing or, better yet, pro wrestling match.

If you're a skinny little kid, try and do some crazy stuff; running around, twirling, and just dancing with the beat.

Don't forget your facial expressions!

But the one thing you should do more than anything is PLAY WELL!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Watch John Entwistle. He's the MAN when it comes to stage antics (i.e. Just stand almost perfectly still and have this look to total disgust and contempt on your face).

I'm a pretty gigantic guy, so I like yelling at the crowd, doing metal signs, and pointing at people in the audience. After a song, pose like you've just beaten your opponent senseless in a boxing or, better yet, pro wrestling match.

If you're a skinny little kid, try and do some crazy stuff; running around, twirling, and just dancing with the beat.

Don't forget your facial expressions!

But the one thing you should do more than anything is PLAY WELL!

yeah, I'm pretty much a twig, 5 foot 7" and only 130 pounds (about 50-60 kilograms), but I love John Entwhistle!! I also note your location is hamilton, if I'm not wrong, that's in south Ontario, you could probably see the show!! (you don't have to)
Well, we go proper OTT cheesy, my band does.... we do the whole lining up thing and machine-gun the audience whilst doing a gallopping riff, all that sort of stuff... one time we made jagerbombs for some lucky people inbetween songs.... jump off stuff.... well, not my lead guitarist anymore, he's quite large and tried to crowd surf during a solo once.... I liken it to the story of Icarus....

then there was the time I got REALLY drunk and played the gig naked.
And then there was the time I was REALLY sober and still played a gig naked
Haha well we'll see how it goes. But I have just over a foot on you and am well over double your weight so I won't be doing any Tasmania Devil routines. I'd say be crazy, but don't seem like a Flea ripoff!

BTW, Rob Trujillo's about your height... check out what he does on stage!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'll check out Rob Trujillo, also my band is mostly doing AC/DC covers (I'm changing the bass just a bit though), If you want to come, It's a school thing so I don't know if they'll let you in, but it's only $7.00 at the door, if you don't mind:

1) double crossed, the catholic pop/punk school band
2)all the local emo/screamo bands (there won't be too many, I know the guy who gets the bands in the show)
Nice my band is a AC DC cover band to.Where at u live?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by thefitz
Haha well we'll see how it goes. But I have just over a foot on you and am well over double your weight so I won't be doing any Tasmania Devil routines. I'd say be crazy, but don't seem like a Flea ripoff!

BTW, Rob Trujillo's about your height... check out what he does on stage!

oh no im a total flea rip off. and the crowd loves it.

like, flea, i super exagerate all my motions on stage. i relaly follow th beat and feel of the song, but i exagerate my motiosn alot and make sure teh crowd notices. also, it doesnt hurt to practice in front of a mirror and ask friends for their oppinions before doing it, or you could look relaly stupid.

here's some things i keep in mind before a show.
look stupid before acting stupid, dress appropriately.
better to act stupid than act nervous. no one wants to watch a stiff, but everyone loves a clown.

let go of ur insecurities, and you'll have more fun, and so will the audience. ugh, unless u play metal, cause looking stupid for metal ppl isnt all that great. i play mostly pop-punk alt funk indie stuff more upbeat so yea.
Last edited by SocKo? at Mar 8, 2007,
Well, obviously concentrate on the music and just do what feels natural to you and what you feel from the music. Don't force anything.

I however tend to dance around on stage with my bass, like crazy russian feet dancing. It's awesome and made me a name as the guy who danced around at a formal Jazz band school concert...
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by thefitz

The "I am so detached while my flying fingers do the walking" groove. John Entwistle and Bill Wyman pretty much personified this approach.

Play good solid bass and let your ass follow as it will always works for me.
I do some really crazy stuff on stage. Sometiems I look like Flea doing a slap solo, sometime I jump around like I am on crack, sometimes I do power banging using my waist instead of my neck (concidering using your neck ****ing HURTS!)

I suggest jumping around and running around like a lunatic.

If you are the kinda Bassist jsut to stand in the back with the drummer, I want your address so I can personally beat the musical self confedence in you!
I follow a simple routine.
do what i want as long as it doesn't interfere with my flawless virtuoso technique ( / sarcasm)

I'm pretty chill.
I use a rockbox stool thingy, which is cool, and in general, look at the crowd, metal signs, headbanging. I'm pretty much built like Fred Flintstone, so running around on speed isn't possible, especially since i use wired gear.

I let my guitarists and vocalists take care of being outrageous twirling screaming maniacs.

it doesn't help that i can't do much more than one thing other than play bass at the same time.

just go out and have fun.

-DC

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Since we're always using wires, I usually just jump about a bit, or will perhaps walk a little and meet up with the guitarist and play together. Just do what you feel like.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
lol trujillo is mad dog.

play facing the guitarist like rhcp sometimes do, than that way, you wont have to face the audience!
Quote by pie_man_25
My bands getting ready for our first show, and I just want to know, what looks good on stage with a bassist , and what's just plain stupid , because I don't know.

Why stay on the stage when you can go in the crowd/on the speaker stacks?
I play properly

Besides, metal and running around like a headless chicken while wearing no clothes = rediculous

anyway, all i usually do is headbang a bit (glasses though, so its either go blind or be dull) and walk around the stage
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Indie, there's nothing wrong with with playing naked if it's good enough for hewhocannotbenamed from Blag Dhalia's band of weird ass misfits featuring Nick Olivieri, it's good enough for me

And don't worry, I've nearly learnt how to ride a bike without training wheels... I will find you... yes I will
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Indie, there's nothing wrong with with playing naked if it's good enough for hewhocannotbenamed from Blag Dhalia's band of weird ass misfits featuring Nick Olivieri, it's good enough for me

And don't worry, I've nearly learnt how to ride a bike without training wheels... I will find you... yes I will

I've started my driving lessons (finally) so in however many months time i'll probably come and abduct you...

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Deliriumbassist
if you're gonna abduct me, I expect to be treated like a gentleman and an officer.... no sodomising after 11

I'll just drive down the M6 and kick you out halfway, forcing you to walk home

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote by metaldud536

The Dwarves are such an amazing live band. HeWho can't play for shit but he's so entertaining.
Well I'm 6' 4", and 195 lbs, so I'm a decent size, but don't actually look that bulky. I guess being conscious of my size, I tend to just walk around with the beat, occasionally dance, guitar duel, hang out with the drummer. Whatever. As long as you're not looking down the whole time and not moving, you'll be fine. Just do what feels natural. Go crazy if you want.

Oh, and don't swing your guitar around you unless you're really damn practiced at is.

Oh, and it can be spelled Incubus' or Incubus's according to what I learned in school. Both are valid forms, though Incubus' is generally looked upon as being "more" correct.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Page 1 of 2