Hey, a friend of mine and I have been writing and covering a bunch of songs lately and we really want to record them.

What would you guys recommend?
Do we need to buy a whole fancy computer for it?
A 4-track recorder?
I've never recorded anything except on a crappy built-in mic on my crappy laptop, which sounds like ass, and on my cellular, which also sounds like ass.

We want something decent, y'know?
And we don't necessarily want to spend a fortune on it.

We're playing guitars, if that helps.
Acoustics, but possibly with amps as well.

Any help at all would be awesome; I really want to dive into this and learn all that I can before purchasing anything.

Thanks!
-rené
Do you ever foresee yourself doing stuff with electric guitars/basses? Then you might want to look at Toneport UX2 (although you'll only be able to record 2 inputs at a time).

Otherwise, check this out:

Alesis Multimix 8USB Mixer
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Get a couple decent (100~)mics, stands, and some kind of mixer which plugs into your computer via USB or Firewire (preferred, if you have it) that way you can just record right to your PC and you don't have to buy any retarded sound cards or anything.

Its the cheapest way to get a decent quality recording. Messing with sound cards and other interfaces only creates problems with resources (your PC isn't good enough) or conflicting hardware (sometimes different parts don't agree with eachother)

At most it should cost you around $400. Most mixers capable of plugging in to your PC come with software and everything you need (except mics and a computer) to record.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 8, 2007,
hey thanks guys, i appreciate that.

so basically i'll need to buy some kind of mixer that plugs into a computer and some mics, right?
i don't know a lot about mixers, so i'm assuming it will be everything i'll need?

i do appreciate the help.
i'll start looking for a good mixer now.
-rené
Quote by yufli
hey thanks guys, i appreciate that.

so basically i'll need to buy some kind of mixer that plugs into a computer and some mics, right?
i don't know a lot about mixers, so i'm assuming it will be everything i'll need?

i do appreciate the help.
i'll start looking for a good mixer now.

Yeah.

There's two ways to do it right..

You can either buy a mixer that plugs into your computer

Or buy a sound card for your computer and a mixer to plug into it.

The first option is really easier. It might cost slightly more, but you don't have to deal with any hardware issues like you do sound cards AND it will be easier to install, its more compact.. it will work on almost anyone's computer, etc. You have to use recording software anyway, and most good mixers come with that.

I use an Alesis multimix, which I like alot. Other units I'd reccomend are by M-Audio or Behringer units in the same class.

If you're only recording (1-2 tracks at a time) with it and not using it as a mixing board and stuff you could easily get a 2-4-6-8 channel interface that will do the job for under $300. Add a couple mics (depending on what your taste would be) and you'd bring the total to around $500-$800. If you went used you'd get it even cheaper (at least half price for the mics) and stuff.

Make sure to get decent quality mics and cables and experiment with micing technique and pre-eq. It takes awhile to learn where the sweet spots are for recording and stuff but once you figure it out you should have a blast.