Im looking for a nice tube amp, a bigger combo or a half stack even, for under a grand. The main one im looking at is this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-YCV80Q-Custom-Valve-4x10-Combo-Amp?sku=480962

I play alot of rock, classic rock, blues, but also alot of metal. Is there a amp that would suit me better for under a grand with great cleans but really nice distortion. I know the Traynor isnt a metal amp but I can get a overdrive pedal. I was thinking the B-52 AT-100 Head and a cheap 4x12 untill I can afford a nicer cab, But I have heard mixed reviews on the head.

such as...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-AT100-100W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-with-Tri-Mode-Rectifier?sku=481303
+
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-So-Cal-412SL-4x12-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=480264

It has to be under a grand including shipping. Ive think im pretty much decided on getting a new amp instead of a guitar. Right now I have a rg350dx and a peavey valveking 112
I'd probably be more inclined to buy a half stack than a 4x12 combo, but that's just me.

Traynor's are pretty sexy though.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Thats what I was thinking with the traynor, Its a nice amp, but it would be kind of a pain to move and such, a head I can just put in my car or what not. I just dont know about the B-52 ST and AT-100s. They seem like the only higher gain options with high wattage heads in my price range. I have heard good things about the cleans on the AT-100 also though. Anyone know the differance between the AT and ST series?
I *think* the only difference is that you can switch to different rectifiers on the AT-100.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
You can also do that on the ST-100 according to B-52's Website, And theres 100 dollars differance in price.
Quote by gsr2k6
You can also do that on the ST-100 according to B-52's Website, And theres 100 dollars differance in price.

Indeed.

0/1.

Independent master volume on the Overdrive Channel of the AT and a bright switch on the clean channel?
Quote by utsapp89
Hmm would that really be the whole 100 dollars difference? Seems like these 2 amps would suit me but I wanna find out if the At is worth it
Along with the independent volume and bright switch there is assignable contour on either gain on the AT. I personally think the ST is a better deal.
It seems like im leaning twords the ST-100 + some type of 350-400 dollar cab or the traynor now. Time to decide which I get lol.
Tubadude owns that Ashdown Cab on there and says its pretty decent, especially for the price.

What other accessories do you need?

Something to record with?

Mics?

Guitar stand?
Quote by utsapp89
Nothing really, just a speaker cable and a few fx pedals that im picking up this weekend. Guitar stand would be nice lol. If its a 100 watt head it dosent send 100 watts to each speaker right? it would send 25 to each in a 4x12?
Quote by gsr2k6
Nothing really, just a speaker cable and a few fx pedals that im picking up this weekend. Guitar stand would be nice lol. If its a 100 watt head it dosent send 100 watts to each speaker right? it would send 25 to each in a 4x12?

I'm fairly certain .
Quote by utsapp89
Used soldano. Might run, like, 1100, but if you can spare it, It's worth it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Thing is i only have a thousand dollars credit to work with and it has to be from musicians friend to get financed. Will the ashdown cab work with the ST-100? That would save some money for the cables and such
Ashdown Fallen Angel 412

Switchable 8 or 16 ohms.
Rated at 120 Watts.
Can handle up to 280 Watts.

I don't see why not.

Quote by utsapp89
I owned a B-52 AT-100 head for about a week. The fx loop had a short in it so I took it back. It wasn't a bad sounding head for the money, a whole lot of gain. I bet you could go to a local GC and talk them down on a B-52 half stack or possibly even a 6505. It's amazing how much I've been able to get them down to when I show them some money. And MF is owned by GC anyway.
Jackson USA SL2H Snow White
Peavey JSX 120w head
BVS412 slant cab w/V30's
Furman RR-215 Dual EQ
TC Electronic M300
I just ordered the ST-100 after hearing soundclips, reading reviews, etc. And the ashdown fallen angel 412, hopefully it works fine for the head but I dont see why it wouldnt, it had some decent reviews and cant beat the price, i got a blem one for cheaper to make up for the shipping. Some monster cables, and a guitar stand. Should be set for a while :-D
why do people insist on buying brand new? this leaves me entirely baffled. I've seen people selling dual rect.s on craigslist for little more than a grand.

not like you're lookiing for a dual rec., but i think you get my meaning. maybe its just me
i heard that the at is better
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Ive heard both, If this one dosent do it for me I will just send it back and get the At.