OK... Here's my problem... I'm composing a song, in which there is a part wherre three guitars play together... One does powerchords, the second does arpeggios over the powerchords, and i want the third to be harmonized with the second... and i'm sure that these are the good arpeggios... usually, when a harmonize a lead, or a solo, i always use thirds, but here, when i try to use them, they sound as shit. and i'm sure that they are the good M/m thids cause I have the sccale right in front of me... what should i use? fourths, fifths, or is there another way of doing it??? thx for your help
Quote by KoRn-Tristan
OK... Here's my problem... I'm composing a song, in which there is a part wherre three guitars play together... One does powerchords, the second does arpeggios over the powerchords, and i want the third to be harmonized with the second... and i'm sure that these are the good arpeggios... usually, when a harmonize a lead, or a solo, i always use thirds, but here, when i try to use them, they sound as shit. and i'm sure that they are the good M/m thids cause I have the sccale right in front of me... what should i use? fourths, fifths, or is there another way of doing it??? thx for your help

Im not to sure about harmonizing guitars, but I do know lots about harmonizing voices, and I imagine they are similar. If the 3rd doesnt work, try the 5th. Im a fan of 5th harmonizations myself. Youll just have to mess around with it.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Try using sixths as well. Remember that you can play diatonic sixth where you makes each interval major or minor depending on what fits in the key, or you can make every interval major or every interval minor and just not care about the key.

Use your ear and good judgement.
Bangoodcharlote has become a boondock saint!

Definately try fifths.

Failing that, try all the other intervals! If you don't like the sound of any, then perhaps that guitar should do a more melodic thing.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Maybe you should start learning the basics of four-part harmony.

As for intervals that will work, though, try any of these:

m3, M3, P5, m6, M6, P8, m10, M10

Make sure to avoid parallel perfect consonances and ghost notes (similar motion to perfect intervals).
5ths are usually the easiest, but you will get a more interesting and unique sound out of other intervals that have been posted
Quote by nightwind
Bangoodcharlote has become a boondock saint!
He also sigged you!

Yeah, we rented the movie on Tuesday and I watched it alone when I got home from school. Then I watched it with my mom and sister Wednesday afternoon and then with my dad and sister Wednesday night. I also downloaded the song during the main opening credits (the cool Irish one).

Good movie...we all liked it a lot.

Edit: Does anyone know what the Latin part of their prayer means?

To contribute something about music: don't lock yourself in to using just one type of interval. While it is easy to write something in powertab and then move it up 7 frets (for a 5th harmonization), it might sound better to use some fifths, some thirds, some sixths, and so on instead of straight fifths.

I'm just throwing out suggestions; I don't know what those intervals will sound like in your riff, but you get the idea.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Mar 8, 2007,
dont just use major thirds, try minor thirds and such, once you mess around you should come across the right sound, its a theory thing, where certian steps of the scale will be major, and certian minor, so eventually itll work out
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
well i'm using both thirds actually, minor and major, and i look in the scale to chose... but if i'm in harmonic minor scale (e.g. Dm H), sometimes i can use both thirds, or none, these tmie which one i take??
Quote by KoRn-Tristan
well i'm using both thirds actually, minor and major, and i look in the scale to chose... but if i'm in harmonic minor scale (e.g. Dm H), sometimes i can use both thirds, or none, these tmie which one i take??
This is when your ear becomes important, er, remains important.

Just screw around and see which sounds better.
|---------------------------------------------------------------
|--0-5-8------8-7----------10--8-7-12--10h12p10--8--
|-----------6--------8--10------------------------------------

what would sound good with this?
for harmonizing

in drop C