Ok ive been wanting to play drums for a while. And lately ive been considering getting a set maybe this summer if i get a decent summer job and i have enough left over. But i know pretty much nothing about drumming. Anything i should take into consideration if i buy a set, like anything i need to make sure the set features, what / what not to buy, ect. just give me some suggestions, if any of you have experience in drums.
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
i would just get a very basic set that will be durable and reliable.

go used for uber cheap drums.
official member of the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement.
Get one thats decent enough it will hold up, and look around, because drumkits do sound differently.

Also look for ones that don't have flimsy cymbals, i've played beginners kits where you can pop the symbal the other way on the high hats just by pressing your foot down hard enough, and sometimes they can crack easy too.

So shop around and ask questions, try looking at used too, sometimes you can get really good deals on decent drumkits.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
If you want something that will last a while and is worth upgrading, get a cheap Pearl , Ludwig or Tama set. They only thing you really need when starting out on drums is 2 rack toms, a floor tom, bass drum and a snare as far as the drums. Then for cymbals you need a hi-hat and a ride/crash cymbal. After that, just upgrade and add more stuff as you get better.

I was gonna buy a Ludwig set off a store on ebay last summer, maybe they're still selling them, it was about $400 and came with all the drums listed and a set of Ziljian cymbals, which was the selling point of them
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Do yourself a favour, save up enough money to buy a mid range kit, like a Pearl export or a tama rockstar. If you buy a begginer kit, youll end up spending $200 just to get it in tune.

I recomend a Tama rockstar, and paiste 301 cymbals, i think?, might be 301.

Avoid zildjian at all costs.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by nick dixon
Do yourself a favour, save up enough money to buy a mid range kit, like a Pearl export or a tama rockstar. If you buy a begginer kit, youll end up spending $200 just to get it in tune.

I recomend a Tama rockstar, and paiste 301 cymbals, i think?, might be 301.

Avoid zildjian at all costs.

I personally don't like Paistes at all, a drummer I know used to play them a few years ago and he hits his drums hard and he'd break the cymbals really easily and ended up switching to Zildjians. I like those better, but I guess it's just a preference, I haven't heard of anyone I know playing Paistes lately so I don't know if they're any better now, this was a while back =P
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by nick dixon
If you buy a begginer kit, youll end up spending $200 just to get it in tune..

Surely, if hes not a retard, he could tune the drums himself?
yea im pretty sure i could tune them. I can hear tone lol just a drum noob, not an instrument noob alltogether. I just would have to study the methods of tuning drums. Most likely a LITTLE different than tuning a guitar string. But hey i figured id have to do a little research here and there so its all good.
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
Quote by viginti_tres
yea im pretty sure i could tune them. I can hear tone lol just a drum noob, not an instrument noob alltogether. I just would have to study the methods of tuning drums. Most likely a LITTLE different than tuning a guitar string. But hey i figured id have to do a little research here and there so its all good.

There are few useful videos on youtube with drum tutorials. That said, there are also some utterly poor ones on there.

Basically:
Tune in a star pattern (most videos will explain this).
The bottom skin should be a slightly deeper pitch than the top, this adds nice tone and reverb to the drum.
Take the drums off stands etc. to tune them, don't leave them on.
As with a guitar string, always tune UP to hold tension, otherwise the skin will quickly slacken.

That's just some basics. You'd probably be better off finding someone you know who plays drums to show you.

Also, when buying, don't be drawn to buy a kit just because it's cheap, the cymbals etc. will most likely be of poor quality and therefore will break easily and sound like crap. Save up a bit more and get a good quality durable kit. I have the Peavey International II Fusion kit (I think) and it's a pretty robust, nice-sounding kit. Just try the kit out in the shop and see how solid it feels and how good it sounds.

And last but not least, look forward to blisters all over your palms and fingers. Good luck .
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by MatrixClaw
I personally don't like Paistes at all, a drummer I know used to play them a few years ago and he hits his drums hard and he'd break the cymbals really easily and ended up switching to Zildjians. I like those better, but I guess it's just a preference, I haven't heard of anyone I know playing Paistes lately so I don't know if they're any better now, this was a while back =P

Well if your friend is breaking cymbals when he plays, should he even be allowed to sit behind a kit?

Quote by TheOneManWonder
Surely, if hes not a retard, he could tune the drums himself?

Most beginner kits come with heads that are single skin mylor, aproximtly 0.5mm - 0.8mm thick, not only is it thin material, but also the heads will not eat properly as the rims will be cheap flanged alloy.

Tuning a kit is easy, and they will tune for about a week, then they will go flat.

you would have to reskin the Bass, snare, toms, and even the resos... leaving you out of pocket, and wishing you had just got a better kit in the first place!
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass