View poll results: Tiny Terror vs. JCM 800 with Attenuator
Tiny Terror with Orange 2x12 Cab
7 28%
JCM 800 Combo with Attenuator
18 72%
Voters: 25.
Orange Tiny Terror with a Orange 2x12 Cab

JCM 800 Combo with a Attenuator

I will be playing mostly classic rock and some 80's metal. (GNR, VR, Zeppelin, Aerosmith)

Both will primarily be played at house level volumes, except for gigs.

Comment on your vote if you can please.

Thanks
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Last edited by VRGNR08 at Mar 8, 2007,
DANG. Hard choice, my dear friend.

I can vouch for the tiny terror, considering I've played it, but not the jcm 800. From what I've heard, JCM 800's sound more like "IM IN YOUR FACE AND PUNCHING YOU IN THE FACE...*screams*." while orange is like "IM IN YOUR FACE...GIVING YOU A MUFFIN...THEN PUNCHING YOU IN THE FACE...*melodic grunts*".

...lol. Anyway, I say it all depends on your opinion on the amps. Have you ever tried em' out?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Lol Jinskee. I knew you would respond.

I have tried the TT, and i love it. I played a JCM, at a guitar center, so i couldnt get it to break up and get nice distortion, so i have never been able to play one cranked, hence the attenuator clause.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Well, the tiny terror is still quite loud and you could get it to break up easily in your home.

But for the attenuator, you do lose a bit of tone, but considering you're going to be playing at gigs and all....it is quite a tough choice.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
JCM800

With an attenuator, I'd pick a JCM800 over the Tiny Terror any time.
Sent from my iPad.
Yeah i know, and i cant find anywhere where i can play a JCM cranked.
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Just tell them at the guitar shop you want to hear it cranked. If you're gonna buy an amp that expensve they should let you test it as much as you want.

If you're gigging I think I'd go JCM 800, as much as I love the Tiny Terror you can't beat the look of a Marshall stack behind you in a rock band. And I agree with womever, JCM 800 is the amp that most 80s metal was played through.
How early do JCM800's break up anyway, before your neighbors cal or not?
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
:0!!

OH! Just realized he put up the bands...

I say go with the jcm 800, it'll hit those tones.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by VRGNR08

Really depends on the wattage...

More wattage = more headroom. So it'll be easier to breka up.

I say about...5-6 is when it starts to break up.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by VRGNR08

1 or 2 (not O'clock)
Normally, I'd say 800 all the way, but after gigging continously for the past two years with the JCM 900 4100 (100w head)...I would say Orange. It got kind of old when just about every soundguy and bar owner we dealt with has told me to turn down (I was only playing on volume #5 with the power reduction on!). The tiny terror (I've never played it, but know from experience what 15 watts of Class A tube power can do) is probably a better choice because you can really drive it hard and get all the dynamics, break up, harmonics that cranking a tube amp can give you. If you play a large venue, you'd be micing your cabinet anyway.
I'm actually looking for a Rocker 30 head to play through my 1960A cabinet (V 30's) and possibly replace the JCM 900.
I love Marshalls. They're what rock was built on and is still building on...but for real world situations, sometimes smaller is better and in this case I say Tiny Terror.
How's the Rocker playing these days, Jinks?
Demea, I would give you a review of it, but today has been crappy and I really don't feel like writing one lol.

Sorry, I'll get back to you on it. But all I have to say is..it's flipping great.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Im still kind of in a toss up. One of the things pulling me away from the TT is EL84's, im not huge on them. Anyone know what can be swapped with EL84's (kt88's, el34, 6550's)? Anyone know?
Gear:
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
As long as the transformer will support the different tubes (it should as its a high quality unit). It would have to be rebiased of course, but check with Orange (or a good amp tech) before you quote me on that. I think the pins are the same?
My JCM 900 I thought would take EL34's no problem, but when I took it to be retubed, my tech advised against it as it came with 5881/6L6 tubes from the factory and it's a cheaper transformer and may damage it with the hotter output of the EL34's. Possibly saved me a few hundred bucks in the near future
- E

Jinks, I dont need a long review, I think you just answered my question, though...
I'm officially on the lookout for one.
I have yet to see an amp be able to swap EL84 with high power tubes like an EL34 or 6L6. I think the pins are actually different on the EL84. I've seen higher power amps be able to use EL84 with the help of something like a THD yellowjacket, but it doesn't work the other way around.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I have yet to see an amp be able to swap EL84 with high power tubes like an EL34 or 6L6. I think the pins are actually different on the EL84. I've seen higher power amps be able to use EL84 with the help of something like a THD yellowjacket, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Yeah, I wasnt sure of the pin orientation. Never did that swap, either.
I voted for the Tiny Terror, and I don't care if I'm behind in the polls, because I'm right.

That amp will nail your 80's heavy rock with little problem, and switchable down to 7W will sound awesome in the bedroom. At 15W with the matching 2x12, it'll be loud enough for small shows, and you can always mic it on the occassions that it won't be.

The real major difference between the two choices is that with the Orange, you'd be getting an outstanding cabinet. So if the time arrives down the road where you want a bigger amp, you can just get a head to sit on top of it. And the Tiny Terror will ALWAYS be a great practice amp. Forever and ever. If you ever practice in a rehearsal studio, you can bring that little head in it's gig bag and hook it up to their cab!

With the combo, when the time comes to upgrade it, you'll probably be looking to sell it. Just doesn't have nearly the versatility of the TT stack.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
In terms of tone, JCM800, but for practicality, the Tiny Terror. You'll still need the JCM800 loud in order to get a great tone though.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30