I'd recommend Ubuntu also. But stock Ubuntu won't have all that graphical fanciness. You'll need to download some more programs and then figure out how to get it to work. There are plenty of other valid reasons to get Linux though, so I'd still recommend it.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Linux makes my head spin.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
Quote by Wayward_Son
I'd recommend Ubuntu also. But stock Ubuntu won't have all that graphical fanciness. You'll need to download some more programs and then figure out how to get it to work. There are plenty of other valid reasons to get Linux though, so I'd still recommend it.

What would you recommend with it, then?
Sent from my iPad.
i am always tempted to get linux but im scared of what it'll do to my comp... i wont know how to work it and stuff...

edit: but damn, that looks so kool!

if i got linux, what would happen to all the stuff on my comp now?

is it easy to figure everything out?

how does it cope with protecting your comp?

will some software that i have not work in linux?
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Last edited by instagata0 at Mar 8, 2007,
Woah that looks cool,I love the effects when you drag boxes
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2T Dinky
ESP LTD KH-202
Yamaha APX-5-12A
Antares 12 String Acoustic
Earthfire Jazz Bass
Peavey Valveking 212
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey KB/A 15
BOSS MT-2
BOSS MD-2
Rocktek MWR-01
Quote by paintITblack39
What would you recommend with it, then?

Ehh I'm not positive myself, but it looks from the title of the video you'd need Beryl-Project or something like that.
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
Ehh I'm not positive myself, but it looks from the title of the video you'd need Beryl-Project or something like that.

I'm at the Beryl website and this is me

Sent from my iPad.
if your gonna get linux wait for ubuntu 7.10 - i've used ubuntu 6.06 before and it's metal in a silver sorta way but 7.10 promises to be even metal in a platinum sorta way.

so wait a month or so for 7.10
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
if your gonna get linux wait for ubuntu 7.10 - i've used ubuntu 6.06 before and it's metal in a silver sorta way but 7.10 promises to be even metal in a platinum sorta way.

so wait a month or so for 7.10

I'm very impatient

Do you use Ubuntu, meaning that you can help me if I come across problems?
Sent from my iPad.
If you have the patience, compile Gentoo. You won't regret it, I promise. Also if you're a gaming person like me, check out Wine.
Quote by instagata0
i am always tempted to get linux but im scared of what it'll do to my comp... i wont know how to work it and stuff...

edit: but damn, that looks so kool!

if i got linux, what would happen to all the stuff on my comp now?

is it easy to figure everything out?

how does it cope with protecting your comp?

will some software that i have not work in linux?

You'd have to backup your data. Although, it is possible to partition your hard drive and set it up to dual boot Windows AND some form of Linux. In that case you could rig it up to share files between the two operating systems. The first thing you'll discover when you switch to Linux is that it's a lot of reading and figuring it out. Most of the people in the community are friendly, but often times the best solution to a problem is taking some advice and then solving it yourself.

As for the last three I can answer them. Is it easy? It can be, depending on what knowledge you already have about computers. It also depends what flavor (version, if you will) of Linux you choose. Some are much more advanced than others. I'd recommend Ubuntu for a beginner. Protecting your computer? Well, its less targeted by viruses for the most part, and the permissions system makes it less likely to be infected. However, like Windows, it boils down to the stupidity of the user. You download crap and run it recklessly you may well get infected. Software compatability? Major problem, yes. Some Windows games and programs can be run through WINE (a Windows "emulator" sort of), others cannot. Still others are just replaced by "Linux" versions of software. MS Office, for example, isn't going to work. Instead you'll get OpenOffice, which can save and open MS Office documents and everything, and is mostly similar. Photoshop becomes the GIMP. See what I mean? If you're really interested you ought to start doing some research.
You really should wait for Ubuntu 7.04; It's coming out next month. You can ask a lot of your questions at ubuntuforums.org, which is a great community which will help you in setting things (like Beryl (beryl-project.org)) up.
A/S/L?
that uses beryl, its pretty nice, I used it for a while before switching to fluxbox
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
Quote by Monkey_Pillow
If you have the patience, compile Gentoo. You won't regret it, I promise. Also if you're a gaming person like me, check out Wine.

he's asking basic questions about linux, what makes you think he can configure and compile a kernel?
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
Quote by Hendrix FTW
Don't get Linux, it is communist.

It is quite literally communist, but that's what's so great about it!
Would you do it?

Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Last edited by Wayward_Son at Mar 8, 2007,
Quote by Hendrix FTW

And Communism is awesome. Therefore, Linux is awesome.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Hendrix FTW

then why are you on UG?

Quote by paintITblack39
I'm very impatient

Do you use Ubuntu, meaning that you can help me if I come across problems?

my knowledge isn't great of it but like it's been mentioned the linux family is a very happy place with lots of fun incest

oh and if your desperate you could get the beta or the latest alpha release, though i'd advise not to
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I would either go with Ubuntu, Kubuntu or openSUSE 10.2. I use the latter.

Ubuntu comes with the GNOME desktop environment, Kubuntu is the same as Ubuntu but has the KDE environment instead. openSUSE lets you choose on install.

Google GNOME and KDE and see which you prefer the look of.
Quote by Tiksi
he's asking basic questions about linux, what makes you think he can configure and compile a kernel?

Oh, sorry.

As others have said, Ubuntu is an excellent choice for those looking for a simple start.
Last edited by Monkey_Pillow at Mar 9, 2007,