title pretty much sums it up.

I have played both and its a close race.

long story short my les pauls head stock broke off, Im trying to choose between the two but right now it would ultimatley have to be the viper . Im a sucker for active pickups...

but

I need your always helpful advice fellow UGers'

Thanks Alot in advance
runnig shoes gripping the tarmac like gun metal magnets

Roger Water- The pros and cons of hitch hiking
Last edited by The Crowing at Mar 8, 2007,
whats kind of music do u play?...the viper should be more of a metal guitar cuz of the EMG's and the Sg should be more of a rock guitar
Get the SG, the SG is really comfortable to play, light, has a great shape, and the sound is good.

and along with what mini said, if your more of a metal person buy the viper, but if your more rock buy the sg
I normally play stuff on the heavier side (slayer, Iron Maiden) but i also love to play mellow pink floyd/beatlesque stuff

I just love the active pickup.

I think the viper looks just the slightest bit cooler but different strokes.

well by nature the SG will be a smidge more versatile since it DOESNT have active pickups, and if your a penny pincher ( like myself ) the SG will hold value much better since, after all, it IS a gibson. and its value might even increase as the years pass, whereas the vipers will diminish. that last bit was purely about money and stuff, not quality or anything... although those words should be directly related ( shakes fist at Mr. President of Gibson )

however, i owned a viper for a while, and couldnt seem to put it down. i play shred, metal, hard rock, etc etc, and when im just too worn out to get into heavy stuff, maybe some bluesier stuff, or softer rock. the viper suited all these styles very well, and the shorter scale made the strings alot of fun to dig into with bends, vibrato etc etc.

only beef i had was that man...those EMG pickups put out like HOES....and thats ALOT. and while thats what you want for metal, hard rock, and shred, it can really take the fun out of trying to dial in a real pure, sparkling and warm clean sound. but then i hardly played clean. so. you get the picture. good luck deciding, and my vote still lies with the viper.

well The Crowning, you are already saying that you prefer the viper, so go and get it!
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
both are great axes, but ill say SG, just because its my all time favorite axe, and you can always put actives in it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I had a Viper for a while, with the actives in it. It toaaattllyy rips! Compared to the price you would spend on a decent sg, I would go for the Viper, hands mutha frieken down.(GET THE VIPER 400!)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
wtf? how did u break off the head stock on ur guitar first off?
Member #19 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM Ibanez4life SZ! to join!
I cant believe no ones asked the models of the guitars he's lookin at. Im gonna guess its a sg faded and an esp/ltd viper 400 maybe.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Quote by imarocker
wtf? how did u break off the head stock on ur guitar first off?

its known to happen with gibsons a lot, headstocks snapping off and stuff...jsut from pressure and banging around your guitar. Even if its in a case, ive known people who have dropped their case and snapped their headstocks. But this guy i know knocked his LPs headstock off, got it repaired and it sounded different, but it sounded rad.

anyway...yaaa...you seem pretty into the viper, just get the viper already!!!
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
viper all the way, i have the one with the Sd pups and it handles every kind music perfectly.

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
Get a viper, they look sooooo much better, I'm getting one soon.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by Nyukka
Schecter....hellraiser FR FTW!!

gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Viper FTW.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Viper is an SG with two less knobs and different pickups, you can change an SGs pickups, you cant stick the lost electronics on a Viper.

Unless you want a Baritone or 7 string SG get the SG but if you want a baritone or 7 string get the 7 string or baritone viper.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Viper is an SG with two less knobs and different pickups, you can change an SGs pickups, you cant stick the lost electronics on a Viper.

A viper is thicker than an SG and sounds more like a LP to me than like a SG...
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know