Im getting some buzzing when playing certain chords. How can I get rid of it?

The tuning is: D A D G B D

although both strings that have been dropped are muted

heres the chords:

D| x | x |
B| 1 | 1 |
G| 2 | 0 |
D| 3 | 2 |
A| 3 | 3 |
D| x | x |

I know it should go away when I get better through practice. I just want to know what exactly the problem is so I can focus on it while practicing.

I assume one of my fingers is brushing a string, but I cant pin point it.

thanks
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.
Are the strings rattling because they're too loose or is it buzzing because there is something wrong with the pickups?

By the way you're describing it though, it sounds like your fingers are just getting in the way. Sometimes if you're fingernail gets to close to a vibrating string it makes a strange sound. Like you said, practice more and it should sound better as you progress.
When it happens, stop strumming and slowly pick out each note in the chord until you find the problem. Note what it is that you've done wrong and then work at eradicating it from your playing.

You are right though, with practice, good practice it'll happen less and less and eventually not at all.

Good luck.
If its just chords then its your fingering needs to be better

If its strings then you need to adjust the neck a bit, thats whats causing the buzzing is the neck isn't straight, if you don't know how to fix it then take it to guitar center and they should do it for you for free.
Thats not right.

It could be that the action is a little too low. There are other ways to sort that without touching the neck.
Quote by CorkyMcDoogle
Are the strings rattling because they're too loose or is it buzzing because there is something wrong with the pickups?

By the way you're describing it though, it sounds like your fingers are just getting in the way. Sometimes if you're fingernail gets to close to a vibrating string it makes a strange sound. Like you said, practice more and it should sound better as you progress.

I am playing an acoustic so there are no pickups.

Quote by Free
When it happens, stop strumming and slowly pick out each note in the chord until you find the problem. Note what it is that you've done wrong and then work at eradicating it from your playing.

I tried this but when I pick the strings everything sounds fine. Is there another way to find which string is buzzing, or should I just keep practicing the way I have been and assume that it will sound better with time?

By the way, the song Im playing is Ohio by Neil Young. Ive got the chord changes down pretty well other than the occasional buzzing sound. Also, I think Im having trouble muting the first string, when I mute it I use my index finger(which is on the second string, first fret).
Last edited by ottomated at Mar 9, 2007,
Try fretting every note on the fretboard and see if you can find which one causes the buzz.

Maybe you're hitting the strings harder when you strum than when you pick?

As for muting that low E (or D in this case) I'd use the tip of whatever finger was plaing the A string. Even then I'd try not to hit the string at all.

Keep at it and good luck. Great song by the way.
Quote by Free
Try fretting every note on the fretboard and see if you can find which one causes the buzz.

Maybe you're hitting the strings harder when you strum than when you pick?

As for muting that low E (or D in this case) I'd use the tip of whatever finger was plaing the A string. Even then I'd try not to hit the string at all.

Keep at it and good luck. Great song by the way.

Sorry, Im not sure what the term fretting means.

Also, Im having trouble with the high E(D) string, not the low one. I can generally avoid hitting the low E string.

Here is a diagram of one of the chords.

D|x| | |
B|1| | |
G| |2| |
D| | |4|
A| | |3|
D|x| | |

I use the first finger to mute the high D.
Fretting simply means placing your finger on a fret. So play every fret means play every note.

For muting, sorry my bad, just mute it with your first finger as you are doing. Just let it lie against the string as you fret the B string.