Alright, so I've been playing for about 2-3 years and I think it's time for me to buy a new amp. Right now, I have a Crate FXT 15, Boss Metalzone pedal and a American Fender Strat(I changed the bridge pickup to a Duncan Hot Rails.) As the title says, I'm looking for a metal amp. I play prog metal and I want a nice, heavy tone(think Necrophagist) but I also need the amp to be able to produce a good clean sound(think some of Opeth's stuff, especially Damnation) as well because I change up sounds within my songs. My price range is around $500-$750 and I've already thought about the B-52 AT-112 60-Watt 1x12" Tube Combo Amp, Traynor Custom Valve 50 Blue and both the F series and DC series for Mesa Boogies. Any thoughts on the amps I've mentioned or any suggestions of what to buy would be great, thanks.
GMO INC.
shoooo this is tough. enough gain to make a hott rails metal, but nice cleans.

i'd say mesa dc combo, or peavey XXX.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Wow, I kinda feel sorry for you, cuz, despite you posted the ever-popular "I need a new fillintheinstrument" thread, you didn't word it half bad, and yet no one bothered to dignify you with a response.

I'm a little partial, but definately try to get a used Mesa off ebay for your amount, and a lower wattage F or DC would be a great choice. Because, honestly, those other amps probably aren't gunna cut it without a lot of outside help, like a lot of preamp push. You might not find exactly what you're looking for with the Mesa for months, but don't worry, when you find it you'll never turn back.

And if you really wanna play that heavy of metal, dude, maybe it's time to dump the strat while you're at it too?
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
^ +1
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Yea, I know, I have a really picky taste. I can get a pretty nice metal sound(at least in my opinion) with the strat and the mt-2 through my crate and I won't dump my strat as it's an American from the 70's I believe and well... yeah, buying another guitar would be pointless in my opinion as I already have a great one. Have any of you played the dc or the f series? I've been looking into those for a while and I'm thinking of getting a f30 or a DC-3 off of ebay where they hover around 600-700. Oh and HavokStrife, what do you mean by outside help?
GMO INC.
well, he ment it as you might want something with higher out put pick ups.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Eh, it would be hard to find a high output pickup for a single coil slot wouldn't it?
GMO INC.
you can always get a new pick guard and just get a good bridge pup. use the neck for you cleans and such.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ he's after shimmery-ish cleans. from what i can gather anyway. although it would be worth a try.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Well, currently, whenever I play clean parts I flip to my neck posistion which still has the standard single coil already then when I play heavier stuff or want a less warm sound from my clean stuff, I go to the hot rails. And would the strat have a humbucker slot beneath the pickguard? I really don't want to unscrew it now and mess up my guitar's wiring...
GMO INC.
strats have H/S/H/ routing. they just put S/S/S pickguards usually.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Well, that opens up a lot of options then . Regardless, I'll probably end up getting an amp first, probably a Mesa I guess, then see if I can tinker around and find a sound that I like. If I were to change the pickguard, do you have know of any humbuckers that would suit me?
GMO INC.
what all do you want it to do?

off the top of my head i'd say dunacn full shred. it's really well balanced, very defined.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Since I'll be using the bridge pickup mainly for the heavier, distorted stuff, I guess something that can get that tone that is leaning towards a technical/death metal sound.
GMO INC.
well it's the pick up opeth use. with a good amp you should be able to do tech death easily. especially a peavey XXX or 6505. if you chose to go that route. i'm not sure about the mesa f or DC amps.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Hmm... I'll have to say go for a Ampeg VH140C. I think a few may pop up on ebay every now in your price range. It's just brutal rawness with a great clean channel. Used by Suffocation, Immolation, Gorguts, and Cynic, just to name a few. And like a said, a decent clean channel. One of the most brutal sounding solid states around for the price, IMO.
I'm going for the same basic idea as you, and also have an american with the hot rails in the bridge, though it's not my main guitar. I'm going for the mesa f-50, my friend got a great sound out of it in about 2 minutes at guitar center the other day. He has a b-52 at-100 full stack, and is going to get an f-50 as well for his next amp. You know it must be good if he's willing to lose 50 watts/5 speakers just for the tone of this amp. Most people say the cleans are godly, and the distorted channel with the boost can do anything short of full on death metal, which is fine with me, but you may want an overdrive or something if that's something you need. Most people suggest a noise suppresor pedal as well if your going to be playing it at really high volumes, I know I will.....
a 5150 with a strat neck pickup pulls off cleans as good as any. But with your budget, you can't get much. If you can get around 800 you can get a used 5150II off of ebay and possibly score a used cabinet locally. A 5150II should do everything you want, because with my strat I can pull off what you listed; although I prefer my jackson with EMGs for metal.
That loser shit's right out the window!
if you want better cleans from the 5150/6505, get the either II or + version, or the combo, which is biased much warmer than the head version.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I'd look into either a Peavey XXX or 5150/6505, or a Mesa Boogie F-50 combo. (The Mesa Boogie will have better cleans)

As for the guitar, you can probably get a new pickguard for it and fit a humbucker (if no routing required). Otherwise, there's also "stacked" humbuckers that will fit in a single coil slot. And they're higher output than hot-rails.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I have a Ampeg SS-70, which is just the earlier model of the Ampeg VH-70. These are the same things as the Ampeg SS-140 and VH-140, by the way. The SS and VH series, from what I have heard/read, are the same tone. My SS amp kills it on the distortion.

Some guy posted above that the Ampeg VH series has really good distortion for death metal. I completely agree. I bought my SS-70 amp for that "death metal distortion" and I am very happy with it.

If you are looking for a very specific Death metal type tone, I encourage you to look at the Ampeg VH and SS series. You have to search craigslist and Ebay for them used.
Alright so I've checked out all the amps you guys have suggested so far and honestly, it seems like I'd be happy with all of them so I guess which ever comes by cheapest, will be my top choice. I do have one last question though. Would there be a large tone difference if I got a half stack or a combo? I'm leaning towards combo because of its portability.
GMO INC.