..to upgrade my gear from my beginner's set that I got when I started playing 3 years ago.. i'm thinking of going with this:

guitar: Epiphone Les Paul G-400 SG
amp: Marshall (MG Series) MG50DFX

Good choices? Other recommendations? For guitar I'm looking in the 300-400 dollar price range, and for amps about 200-300 price range.

Thanks
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
sounds pretty good...i've got an epiphone sg and it plays great. no idea 'bout the amp but i got a line 6 spider amp works pretty well
Quote by hippieboy444
run from the MG!

what he said about the MG. flee from MGs like you would flee from the plague.

consider instead the Roland Cube amps in that price range, or perhaps even shelling out for a decent 10-20 watt all tube amp. with the roland youll thank yourself right now. with the tube amp youll thank yourself in 3 years when you can actually appreciate it. good luck.
I would agree on Hippieboy with the MG series, but if its for you, then go for it.
Always remember to try stuff out before you buy
yeah there right about try it out first but i only spent 140$ on the amp it is just for practice so i have no complaints
Quote by lumberjack
what he said about the MG. flee from MGs like you would flee from the plague.

consider instead the Roland Cube amps in that price range, or perhaps even shelling out for a decent 10-20 watt all tube amp. with the roland youll thank yourself right now. with the tube amp youll thank yourself in 3 years when you can actually appreciate it. good luck.

the Roland Cube is right in my price range (the 30 watt at least)

I'll have to go to a few music shops this weekend to check a bunch of amps out to choose, it's always good to have an idea before though.. I don't want to look like a n00b, haha
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
Quote by ExplorerFreak
Since you are obviously a Coheed and Cambria fan, you could raise your guitar budget about 100 dollars and get this...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Korina-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518234

haha, Coheed are my hometown heroes. They reside about 10 minutes from where I live, and Claudio and the guys got their start at a local venue where a lot of bands play now. inspiration at its finest, you know?
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
Do your self a favour and dont get the mg. Go around music shops and find a 15 watt tube combo and pick it up. the guitar is decent though. If you cant go the tube route go for a roland cube , not 15 because it has no modeling feature i belive, or the vox valvtronix series
Quote by lbc_sublime
heh i haev a marshall and paople always bitch bout marshalls but i like it

Marshalls are excellent amps, just not the MG series.
Quote by gsr2k6
Do your self a favour and dont get the mg. Go around music shops and find a 15 watt tube combo and pick it up. the guitar is decent though. If you cant go the tube route go for a roland cube , not 15 because it has no modeling feature i belive, or the vox valvtronix series

Alright, thanks for the help.
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
My friend has an MG series amp, it''s not TOO bad. The distortion I think sounds like crap, but other than that its fine, but if your gonna be playing stuff similar to Coheed I would steer away from the MG series.
Yeah, I'll check out the other Marshall Amps as well
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10