Ive tryed different distortion pedals today that I had heard online, however, the strat still needs a big boost, so Ive decided to modify mine. Anyways, there are pickups from lace, dimarzio, seymore duncan, etc. After hearing a sound clip it seems the hotrails are pretty good.( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300 )

Anyways, does anyone else have any other suggestions? Im probably going to end up playing punk someday soon so my strat really needs a boost.

P.S. how hard are they to install? My dad is okay at wiring and can sauder so I may be able to do it okay.
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
Last edited by 50's strat at Mar 8, 2007,
dude have you trued the boss md-2.....perfect hard rock distortion. But but not as ugly as the mt-2
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2 12
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Jekyl and Hyde Ultimate Overvrive (the old school one)
dont you like need to sauter them and stuff??
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
cus i was thinking of putting some fender ****ips on my squire
My Gear:
Black Epiphone Les Paul
Boss DD-3
Boss MD-2
Boss TU-2
Boss Ge-7
Digitech Synth/Wah
Quote by 50's strat
Ive tryed different distortion pedals today that I had heard online, hwoever, the strat still needs a big boost, so Ive decided to modify mine. Anyways, there are pickups from lace, dimarzio, seymore duncan, etc. After hearing a sound clip it seems the hotrails are pretty good.( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300 )

Anyways, does anyone else have any other suggestions? Im probably going to end up playing punk someday soon so my strat really needs a boost.

P.S. how hard are they to install? My dad is okay at wiring and can sauder so I may be able to do it okay.

I've noticed that Red Lace Sensors are pretty hot - I've installed it in the neck, mid, and bridge. I don't think you can get away further from true SC sound than this. Not quite good humbucker territory, but close and probably better than cheap buckers.

I have a bunch of DiMarzio Virtual Vintage only, all of them very good and slightly hotter or midier, depending on what model you choose, than a vintage SC. I love them for Blues, classic rock, etc.

No experience with those abominations called hotrails (j/k).

Also, buy a $9 soldering kit from RadioShack, practice for 2 days,and you should be good to go. It doesn't require fine motor skills, just a regular steady hand. It'll make your daddy proud of you.

im fifteen, and i looooooooooooove to solder
also, i have to make a plug for GFS pickups
i just keep loving mine more and more, but they are best for their vintage sets
if you insist on going hot, i had a hot rails, and i liked it, it does good lead, but i have discovered that a good set of single coils kicks a 'bucker's ass any day of the week
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Ive tried looking through youtube videos to hear some of the pickups(better than just choosing a puckup without hearing it first.) and found a few other seymore duncan ones. The jb jr seems to have a little less distortion, which is better for when you dont want it. As for lace sensrs, heard one with the golds and it sounded pretty good, not sure if they are deep enough.(Probably need red) Anyways, anyone have a opinion on which to go with? I have a 50's stratocaster so it has the aged plastic style pickups and lace makes cream ones which are similar, if I buy white then Ill have to do the coffee staining method some of the workers at a local music store told me about.(Is it safe?)

As for installing, thanks, ive seen some diagrams on the forums before, figured I might as well save $50.(A local place sells all their pickups for $100 and have a $50 installation fee, per EACH pickup. 0_0 )
My setup specs:

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Boss dd-6 delay
Quote by forsaknazrael
Seymour Duncan also has clips up for some of their pickups.

On their site? Im looking now.
My setup specs:

Boss dd-6 delay
^Yeah.

If you want a classic strat sound stay away from Lace Sensor pickups for the most part. I've played a strat plus with Gold Lace in it and they do a pretty good job in the neck and mid position but the bridge just doesn't have the strat shimer. I've played another Strat Plus at a music shop near here with a Blue/Silver/Red set in it and it's amazing, but it sounds way too beefy to be a strat. According to the reviews on Harmony Central the power sensors are an amazing strat sound. They're the 2nd or 3rd redesign of the original Lace system if I remember right.

Obviously I like Lace pickups.

For a true strat tone I'd go with Fender Texas Specials. Another idea would be to mix and match a bit. Something like a DiMarzio DP119 Class of 55 in the neck, a DiMarzio DP110 FS-1 in the mid position and a DiMarzio DP116 HS-2 in the bridge. If you do something like that you'll have a very unique sounding strat, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it.
One of the best sounding Strats I've ever heard had Gold Lace sensors in all positions. It sounded very full and rich, my only problem with it was that there wasn't enough high end in the neck for my liking. Chances are that this could have been because of the amp it was playing through - a '68 Bassman
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
The lighter pickups like the fender taxas specials sound nice, however, im going for a more beefy tone. Someday later I could always get 2 noiseless pickups for the neck and middle, but for now im mostly focusing on a deeper sound.(For rock; the single coils sound nice on clean but I need deep sound too.)
My setup specs:

Boss dd-6 delay