Has anyone on here played this amp? Ive read some pretty good reviews about it and I know that it is solid state but I was just wondering if it is good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-XXL-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481356
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
I know some people here hate 'em with a passion.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yeah i thought so. im saving up to buy a XXX and i was just wondering how these are.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
well i own one and i play in a metalcore band and its pretty good for what it is, it has so many different possiblities, it has three different voicings on each of the three channels which is so cool, the distortion on it is nuts, id highly recomend a noise gate though, its a loud one, as all SS's
I just listened to the soundclips on Musiciansfriend and it sounded awesome. I think people are just too caught up in this tube vs SS debate and wont give SS amps a chance. Plus, if your gonna play metal, SS amps probably have the best distortion for that.

I think the most important thing is whether you like it or not. Dont let people pick amps for you or try to change your mind onto something you wont be happy with, try it and make sure you like it, and if you do that is all that matters.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Mar 21, 2007,
Quote by DeadMansCurve
Plus, if your gonna play metal, SS amps probably have the best distortion for that.

well even though i play metalcore and SS does fine, you cant beat tube amps, because SS amps have nothing on Mesa, KranK, ENGL, Framus, and ill admit it.
I have a Peavey XXL 2x12 combo for practice. For a SS amp, it's quite a buy. 3 channels with 3 different voicings for each channel, independent EQ, volume and gain controls, global reverb and master volume. There's a damping switch on the back for a little more control over the low end.

The Ultra channel has an active EQ, so the EQ's are pretty responsive. The Ultra channel also has way too much gain, more than anyone could possibly need. I have a Boss EQ-20 in the effects loop. Stick an EQ in the loop and you can really get the XXL to sound pretty impressive for a SS amp.
^To ESPKrankVHT, yeah, I guess that nothing much can beat a cranked up high gain metal amp, but Randalls have some of the best heavy distortion you can get. Ive never played a Mesa, Engl or anythink like that, but i was next to some guy playing a Mesa Stiletto halfstack, and that did sound pretty awesome. But, these amps are way too overpriced, except for Engl, which are reasonably priced.