Can anybody tell me the difference between these two basses, in terms of tonality/weight/etc?

The only differences are the wood (mahogany vs. basswood) and the topwood (bubinga vs other, and I can't really be assed to find what it actually is). I know that the wood used obviously makes a difference, and I'm not cool enough to know the tonal differences between mahogany and basswood.

Also, would it be possible to get the 'honey satin' finish from the studio on the elite? I personally find it completely eyegasmic.

And yes, I did search, but perhaps I didn't search hard enough. If this thread has been done before, a scold and a link would be appreciated.

Edit: Forgot to add, I play a variety of genres, including bands like stone temple pilots, rhcp(even though they're cliche now), incubus, etc. I try to stay away from hardcore metal. And who else is annoyed by the "You've been selected to win two free iPod nanos" ads that somehow always manage to be exponentially louder than whatever music you happen to be listening to at the time?
Last edited by Turdz0rz at Mar 8, 2007,
1) Mozilla Firefox and script blocker will solve that problem in no time
2) I think the Elite is better. I'm no schecter master *koff*Fett13*koff* but I think that's right. Also Mahogany is considered a better wood than basswood usually. Basswood has a very one dimensional tone I've heard. Again I might have my wires crossed but I think that's right. Now we can only wait for the Schecterman to appear.
I havent played the Studio, but i have an Elite in wine red, and ive got to say its one of the most fantastic, versatile basses ive ever played
you can get that thick juicy pop that flea pulls off, the electronics are crisp and clean, and the neck has a beautifully thin profile that makes it easy to jump from string to string, like Geddy Lee often does.
Elite FTW. The bridge is better, but it doesn't have the 3 band EQ. The Elite is just about the best bass Schecter makes. I own one, and I love it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
The Elite is the top of the Stiletto line, that's simple enough. As for the why, well, theres a few reasons. The studio is a bit heavier (not really noticable unless you play an Elite as often as I do), the bridge isn't all that great (the S-tek is the way to go, more sustain, more stability, its got it all) and the 3-band EQ is overkill (2-bands is more than enough to get whatever tone you want). I really don't care for that Diamond custom bridge at all, it has all of the bulk and none of the sustain.

Other than that, they are mostly the same. Same pickups, same wood (minus the maple vs bubinga top), same tuners, etc. Color-wise, I hate the honey satin, though the new color they have on the Studios is kinda nice. The black cherry is dead sexy though. I'd suggest strongly that you go with the Elite.

Oh, and the Studio is a neck-through with a maple neck and mahogany body, they only use basswood on the Deluxe. And you can't get the honey satin on an Elite. Schecter does not customize any of its Diamond series basses, you get them as is.

Quote by lespaul.zim
I havent played the Studio, but i have an Elite in wine red, and ive got to say its one of the most fantastic, versatile basses ive ever played
you can get that thick juicy pop that flea pulls off, the electronics are crisp and clean, and the neck has a beautifully thin profile that makes it easy to jump from string to string, like Geddy Lee often does.

BLACK CHERRY GODDAMNIT! BLACK-****IN'-CHERRY *smites you*
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I really think 3-band EQ's are totally necessary; my 2-band Warwick is a bit limiting. Most 2 band EQ's try to compensate for the lack of a third band by raising the bass (from 40Hz on my Fender to 100Hz on the Warwick) and lowering the treble (from 8kHz to 2kHz).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I really think 3-band EQ's are totally necessary; my 2-band Warwick is a bit limiting. Most 2 band EQ's try to compensate for the lack of a third band by raising the bass (from 40Hz on my Fender to 100Hz on the Warwick) and lowering the treble (from 8kHz to 2kHz).

Agreed. 3-band EQs are very desirable for one main thing: mid boost/cut. It is THE single most important EQ point.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Well, what do u say now, Fett13? Im set on Schecter Stiletto as my next bass, but im split b/w Elite & Studio myself. And agreed, honey satin looks good in ur hands, but on stage, the shiny flashy finish looks better. And 3-band EQ is important. Helps with the mid growl. Also Bubinga top is hawt! I dunno much about the bridges Schecter uses. Plz give an un-biased opinion. Also howz the fretless version? Worth it?
Quote by Your41Plague12
Elite FTW. The bridge is better, but it doesn't have the 3 band EQ. The Elite is just about the best bass Schecter makes. I own one, and I love it.

Too bad it doesn't come in a 6 string.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Mozilla Firefox and script blocker will solve that problem in no time

Adblock Plus doesn't seem to be helping...what filter should I put in?

Oh, and Elite FTW
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by Metalology
Too bad it doesn't come in a 6 string.

Ummm....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio6-Bass?sku=513086

It's a Studio, granted, but it has a 3-band EQ on it.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by Bassface_505
Well, what do u say now, Fett13? Im set on Schecter Stiletto as my next bass, but im split b/w Elite & Studio myself. And agreed, honey satin looks good in ur hands, but on stage, the shiny flashy finish looks better. And 3-band EQ is important. Helps with the mid growl. Also Bubinga top is hawt! I dunno much about the bridges Schecter uses. Plz give an un-biased opinion. Also howz the fretless version? Worth it?

Basically the diamond custom bridge just isn't quite as solid as the S-tek. With the individual sections the S-tek has, you have a very stable platform where the strings have little or no effect on each other. Have you ever noticed that on most bridges when you're tuning, changing the tuning on one string can mess up the tuning on another somtimes? That doesn't happen on the S-tek, they sections have very little ontact with each other (theres just a thin strip set into the bass body itself connecting them). When combined with the neck-through of the elite, you you don't even lose any sustain from the lack of solidaty this creates.

The diamond custom is just a relatively basic bridge. Theres really nothing special about it. Why they didn't use the S-tek on the studio is beyond me, but they didn't. If they had, I would be telling people to get that one over the Elite, but that one diffreence is key. It has significantly less sustain, and its just not as solid. If they put the S-tek on it, it would make all the difference in the world, but without it its just not the same.

The fretless version is one of those things I simple cannot get my hands on. There are only two guitar stores near me, one local and one GC. The local one doesn't carry Schecter, and the GC doesn't keep fretless basses as regular stock. I've only found one MIM FEnder Fretless that was there for about a week, and one Squier Vintage modified Fretless that was there for even less. They don't get many Studios in stock to begin with, and never a fretless. I'd love to try one out, but I simply don't have access to one.

On the note of 3-band EQ though, I still have to disagree. I get all my fine tuning out of my amp. I find that the only real use of the EQ is making it so you can make adjustments without messing with your amp, making it far easier to get a different sound without significant effort. Right now the only thing I even use it for is to compensate for the changes I made on my amp EQ to fit my fretless. I can't find any reason for the 3-band. Theres nothing you can really accomplish with the three band that you can't with a more careful hand on the 2-band and a well-adjusted EQ on your amp.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.