Hey guys I'm new to these forums (yay ) and I had a question about crate amps. I was thinking about getting a bigger amp for gigs and stuff and was looking at these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT3500H-350W-Guitar-Head?sku=487793

and

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-G412-100W-4x12-Cab?sku=487711

I play a variety of music ranging from progressive rock to metalcore... hope this helps!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by ERA
anywhere from 500-1000

Okee doke.

If you are willing to spend that much money, you don't want to be spending it on a solid state half stack.

Don't be afraid of a tube combo. Tube watts are much louder than solid state watts.

Take a look at a Peavey Valveking (that full warranty 2x12 looks like a great deal).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Okee doke.

If you are willing to spend that much money, you don't want to be spending it on a solid state half stack.

Don't be afraid of a tube combo. Tube watts are much louder than solid state watts.

Take a look at a Peavey Valveking (that full warranty 2x12 looks like a great deal).

Here's the thing though man, that Crate actually sounds better than the Valveking. If you want gain that is, and this guy does. And yes, I've tried them. Side by side comparison, no lie. I was taken aback by how good the Crate GT sound for solid state amps. I'm even considering the GT1200H myself, for a measly £250 I can't go far wrong.

It may not have the tube responsiveness, but it sure sounds better than what is essentially the cheapest (LARGE) tube amp on the market. I really hate the sound of Valveking personally, and for Metalcore like KSE, they definitely aren't the best choice.
Quote by Vermintide
Here's the thing though man, that Crate actually sounds better than the Valveking. If you want gain that is, and this guy does. And yes, I've tried them. Side by side comparison, no lie. I was taken aback by how good the Crate GT sound for solid state amps. I'm even considering the GT1200H myself, for a measly £250 I can't go far wrong.

It may not have the tube responsiveness, but it sure sounds better than what is essentially the cheapest (LARGE) tube amp on the market. I really hate the sound of Valveking personally, and for Metalcore like KSE, they definitely aren't the best choice.

+1.

I can't stand the tone of a valveking unless you completely crank it, which you probably won't be doing any time soon.
Dickless.
The under $1000 tube amps don't work well for metal (I have one). Find a nice solid state probably unless you can go for a high end tube amp.
Dude. Its Great.

I own the GT3500H and 2 Blue Voodoo cabs. The First review on musicians friend that says best high gain head w/o paying 2000 for mesa was writen by me. Everything I have to say is in that review.

DO NOT get a valve king combo. Its no where in the same ballpark. People on this site are so bias to tube. I love my GT3500H, you'll like yours too.
A nice high-quality solid state will sound better than a cheap tube amp for heavy distortion. If you want good cleans though, you need to go for the tubes.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I owned a Crate Blue Voodoo 120 watt head for my first amp. With the 4X12 cab, it wasn't bad at all. Then you work your way down the line.... once you know it, YOUR BROKE!
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by Ubershall404
People on this site are so bias to tube. I love my GT3500H, you'll like yours too.

Amen, bro... people are SO biased to tube, it is sad. There are many solid-state amps out there that rock!