So ireally like grunge, right. AiC is one of favorite bands, and so are Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Candlebox(at least their first album is grunge) and Mother Love Bone. I even picked up Temple of the Dog and Mad Season's CD. The only thing is i really hat Nirvana. I like a couple of their singles, but not Smells like Teen spirit. Like i respect for Kurt, but he really wasnt a good guitarist. His singing really annoys me sometimes, and the rest of the band, except Groll, was just bad. No one else really seems to agreee with me though. I dont know. I really like grunge because of the great musicianship, but Nirvana just seems to lack that.
Nerdo-sez-bo wrote:

Bon Jovi can just **** off really.

Life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liquor store, 40 oz to Freedom
how can you HAT nirvana? how can anyone HAT something!????

I love grunge too, but i love it as a whole, not just musicianship. Nirvana has some of the best lyrics i've ever heard, a lot of emotion, and i personally like the fact that they kept their music kinda simple. In Utero's definetly their best album...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
You shouldn't judge Nirvana based on Smells Like Teen Spirit...

and it seems like you just want to start an argument.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
I love AIC but I see where your coming from. At a first look, yes, kurt is a shity guitarist and a terrible singer. But as evening_crow said, he has some great lyrics. the point of grunge wasn't to show off your guitar skills or wide vocal range though... So don't hate nirvana just because they don't seem talented at a glance, maybe they just don't show off.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
Haha - You like grunge because of the musicianship? That's like saying you like hotdogs for their chicken! This is not an attack on grunge, but the main point of grunge is not caring! Musicianship comes second in grunge. Pearl Jam, STP and Soundgarden are probably better musicians than anyone in Nirvana, though (except maybe Groll), but they still can't compare to many other players. Don't like grunge because of the musicianship - like it because of the attitude. Why do you care if you like Nirvana? Just because they're the most famous band of the genre doesn't mean you necesarrily have to like them. I like metal but I don't like Slayer as much as lesser known bands like Children of Bodom and Mastodon. Keep your ears open and don't write off a band based on a few songs you've heard by them (especially on the radio). Wow this is a long post. Anyway - Good luck with the grungage and Nirvana is okay - good melodies (not great singing or guitar playing), but the songwriting is actually pretty good. Cobain was an interesting guy.
Quote by PieceOfMind666
I love AIC but I see where your coming from. At a first look, yes, kurt is a shity guitarist and a terrible singer. But as evening_crow said, he has some great lyrics. the point of grunge wasn't to show off your guitar skills or wide vocal range though... So don't hate nirvana just because they don't seem talented at a glance, maybe they just don't show off.

Exactly!!! Actually, a lot of close friends of Kurt said he was actually rather good at guitar but didn't like playing big solos and stuff like that. Even their producer heard him play and asked him why he wouldn't use those in their songs. A friend of mine had a video of him doing some pretty sweet stuff on guitar...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i dont like any grunge bands that started after nirvana got popular actually. the melvins are the only other grunge band that i really like a lot.
what exactly was the point of this thread btw? trying to start an argument or what?
I like Mudhoney, AiC, Green River, etc. I can't stand Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and now Nirvana annoys me too.
Quote by evening_crow
how can you HAT nirvana? how can anyone HAT something!????

I love grunge too, but i love it as a whole, not just musicianship. Nirvana has some of the best lyrics i've ever heard, a lot of emotion, and i personally like the fact that they kept their music kinda simple. In Utero's definetly their best album...

hehehe. I certainly am not fond of Nirvana either.
LOL
Theres got to be a reason 4 bands getting overrated, and despte average muscianship they are possibly one of the greatest bands of all time. There are so many great songs by them. I don't believe that Kurt had a bad voice either, it really seemed to suit the genre.
Punk-based grunge was where its at- bands like Nirvana, Mudhoney, Green River, Melvins...

They were the peak of the genre, AIC and Soundgarden are awesome too, but Candlebox? Grunge isn't even a genre, because the bands are so different in sound. It was a scene more than anything
i hate it when people say that kurt wasnt good at guitar. just because he used alot of power chords doesnt mean he sucked. he was actually quite good, and very creative
Quote by LynchMobster
So ireally like grunge, right. AiC is one of favorite bands, and so are Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Candlebox(at least their first album is grunge) and Mother Love Bone. I even picked up Temple of the Dog and Mad Season's CD. The only thing is i really hat Nirvana. I like a couple of their singles, but not Smells like Teen spirit. Like i respect for Kurt, but he really wasnt a good guitarist. His singing really annoys me sometimes, and the rest of the band, except Groll, was just bad. No one else really seems to agreee with me though. I dont know. I really like grunge because of the great musicianship, but Nirvana just seems to lack that.
For one, check your spelling. It made it annoying to read sometimes. Secondly, what's the point of this thread. "I like grunge, but only some bands. This is why." Great. So does everyone. Just switch up the bands. Next, Kurt Cobain was never branded as a "great" guitarist, nor did he consider himself one. It's the emotion behind the music, and the effect it had on millions of people, not the technical skill of the musicians. And it's Dave Grohl, not Groll. When you say "you like grunge because of the musicianship," as much as I hate to say it, there's a bunch of the grunge movement that wasn't very technical at all. Nirvana obviously, but the majority of the bands that started grunge in the first place were technically speaking not great guitarists: Mudhoney, Green River, possibly even Mother Love Bone. Everything you've talked about has been said 5 million times before. Use the search bar for Nirvana, and go nuts reading up on it, and do a little research next time. It's fine not to like Nirvana, but much of what you're saying simply isn't true from a fact point of view.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by gatech54
i hate it when people say that kurt wasnt good at guitar. just because he used alot of power chords doesnt mean he sucked. he was actually quite good, and very creative

It's not the power chord wankage, it's everything.
If Mother Love Bone are considered tr00 grunge then they are my favourites.
try out nirvana's "bleach" album. its more grunge than the rest of their stuff