Okay, so far i've been practicing on Harmonic theory, and i've gotten stuck on Pinch Harmonics now.. for a while. I know it doesn't get much simpler than "Grip your pick, only have a little bit of the tip showing and hold your thumb out near the pick", but that doesn't seem to help at all, even when I hit near the sweet spots (Near my neck pickup, or in between the guitar, respectively.)

One of two things happen: I either get a note, or a note that stops as soon as it starts.

On the other hand though, using my pick and then holding my thumb lightly on the string gives me the pinch harmonic, but it's so damn outrageously slow to use that technique, that I can't keep in time with (insert any Zakk Wylde song or Van Halen song with artificial/pinch harmonics here).

I know I can do it, but there's something I'm not doing right here. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
John

(On a side note: I use my middle finger and my thumb to hold my pick, just like EVH does. This shouldn't make it harder, truth be told, because many people comment on how more accessible P. Harmonics are using the middle finger and thumb.)
My Gear:

Epiphone G400
Eddie Van Halen Strat replica
Yamaha Pacifica
Kustom Solo 16R amplifier
BOSS ME-30 Guitar Multiple Effects Pedal
DigiTech RP100 Modeling Guitar Processor
Last edited by JAHoffman at Mar 8, 2007,
practice, practice, practice
took me a while to get them down, but eventually it started to come to me
I've looked at a few videos, actually. I'm trying to see what everyone's doing, but it doesn't seem to help much.
My Gear:

Epiphone G400
Yamaha Pacifica
i think it helps to bend the string up a little and a little slow too, or bend the string by tilting ur guitar neck up
Quote by Uglúk
practice, practice, practice
took me a while to get them down, but eventually it started to come to me

I agree 100%
takes some practise

Normally - A harder pick will give off better harmonics and higer distortion

-- Soem guitar's don't work the same as others

if you hit a pinch harmonic on the g string 9th fret on the sweet spot with the amp off it should sound pritty good

When u plug into an amp u can do the exact same thing exact place on the string but no harmonic it is sometimes diffrent once on an amp you have to fool around and find the sweet spot with your amp on.

personally theres really no easy way to explain how to do a pinch harmonic or show it (being played) just try your best and don't give up

also Pinch harmonics don't work very well on lower end modles of guitars (my own expirence's)

You should get a feel for it.
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
I'm trying the vibrato with my Pinch harmonics, too. Once or twice when i'm using my thumb after picking to get the sound, I get what i'm looking for. But what i'm trying to do is get instant pinch harmonics with the thumb and the pick simeotaneously hitting the string.
My Gear:

Epiphone G400
Yamaha Pacifica
And just for the record, I understand what everyone's trying to say, it just isn't working. I usually practice with the 7th fret on the G string.
My Gear:

Epiphone G400
Yamaha Pacifica
Quote by JAHoffman
On the other hand though, using my pick and then holding my thumb lightly on the string gives me the pinch harmonic, but it's so damn outrageously slow to use that technique, that I can't keep in time with (insert any Zakk Wylde song or Van Halen song with artificial/pinch harmonics here).

that's not a pinch harmonic you're talking about...seems like a natural harmonic.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Actually, it's a touch harmonic. Anyway, that's not the point. I'm trying to figure out how I can hit the string with both my pick and thumb without the thumb hitting the string too hard.
My Gear:

Epiphone G400
Yamaha Pacifica
Thumb should hang off the pick alittle more than usual...I'm sure you hear that alot but what I have seen is no one saying, "hold your pick at a different angle then usual".

I hold it on a different angle than usually and it works for me like that.
Try diffrent pickups and all that jazz, and its a lot harder to do them with the gain low.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I know it's not my pickups, they have alcino 5s, and my Gain is set to 8.
My Gear:

Epiphone G400
Yamaha Pacifica
Quote by Vanquish
Try diffrent pickups and all that jazz, and its a lot harder to do them with the gain low.

Absolute crap. The only problem people seem to have with low gain is that they don't get the traditional scream that P.H.s are known for, I can get them perfectly well with no amp at all, they're just a bit quieter than normal notes is all.
I tend to sort of flick my hand when I do them. As I play the note, I flick my hand so the pick is angled perpendicular to the strings. Try adding vibrato with the left hand. I find them easiest on the 5th + 6th strings.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30