I have been Playing guitar roughly for over 2 years and i have been changing my strings one by one and it gets annoying, but ive heard that if u take off all of the strings at the same time the neck gets messed up i dont see how but im jw is it true?
No. It doesn't to my knowledge. I could be wrong but i doubt it.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

maybe 50 yrs from now, but by then u should be a huge rockstar so it doesnt matter
I don't think it does. I've watched multiple prpfessionals show how to change strings, and they've never said anything about it.
it will get messed up. There is so much tension in the six strings it can actually shorten the neck when the strings are on. So when you take them all off at the same time the neck can expand causing warpage and the like.
yes it does,when you take all the strings off, neck doesnt have any tension on it to counterbalance the truss rod and the truss rod bends can bend the neck,if that makes any sense? sorry if its confusing
the only time takin em off one by one makes anything easier is when u have the floyd rose. those can be a pain to tune when u change all your strings at once. its alot easier when you do it one by one. if you dont have floyd rose though you should be fine
ok thanks i got another question i usually change my strings every 3-4 months is that normal? lol
Doesn't really matter when you change your strings, once they sound dull or whatever, change them. I change them pretty infrequently too, and yeah.. if you're going to take off all the strings and leave the guitar like that for a long time and THEN put new strings on, the neck would prolly be screwed (I once left a guitar in the closest stringless, then noticed the neck getting a hump so I loosened it) but I wouldn't imagine anything bad would really happen.
Quote by RPGoof
Doesn't really matter when you change your strings, once they sound dull or whatever, change them. I change them pretty infrequently too, and yeah.. if you're going to take off all the strings and leave the guitar like that for a long time and THEN put new strings on, the neck would prolly be screwed (I once left a guitar in the closest stringless, then noticed the neck getting a hump so I loosened it) but I wouldn't imagine anything bad would really happen.

Can you further describe said 'hump'? I left my guitar stringless and nothing happened at all.
it will not harm your guitar in anyway unless you would leave the strings off for a few days.
Hmmm, it makes no difference what so ever for string changes. Think about it how a guitar is made, do you think they have crack teams of string ninjas waiting at the end of production line to string up new guitars in case the necks explode and decapitate their staff???

Don't leave the strings off forever, but leaving them off whilst changing strings should make no difference.
I really don't see anything bad happening unless there's bad conditons like humidity levels or something. I have an old guitar from my grandfather that I've been working on that has been stringless for about a year now and it's neck is still perfectly straight. It's sitting in my closet right now.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
course it wont snap if you r just changing the strings,,,,the necks hardly a twig is it? lol
As long as you put the new strings on fairly quick, nothing happens. But if you let your guitar stand without strings for months the neck will need to be adjusted and the intonation might be off.

I once saw an acoustic that hadn't had strings on it for several years and the neck was bending BACKWARDS. Not cool!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
if u dont know how to set up ur guitar, u should swap strings one at a time.

like said, dont ever leave the guitar unstrung for any length of time.

-if u have a TOM bridge, it might pop off after taking off all the strings.
-if u have a trem bridge, u might need to readjust the springs in the back cavity, after taking off all strings.
-if u swap to a lighter gauge, ull find ur guitar relaxes a bit, after swapping off the strings, and u can pick up some fret buzz.

all these things are fixable. BUT if u dont know how to. and dont feel like learning, then swap one string at a time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011