Can anyone PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE explain to this innocent mind of mine, the difference between and overdrive and a distortion? i'm confused which is which. thanks
Overdrive I think is the distorted sound that you hear when valve amps are pushed hard. Not sure exactly what distortion comes from.
distortion is just electronics distorting the signal.
overdrive is when the valves are pushed with a loud signal, it distorts.
its also a smooth "clipping"

i hope u know but this topic has been covered so much on UG.
use the search button.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Yea Overdrive is the sound your tube amp would make when being pushed to the limit and distortion is just a much more gritty heavier sounding effect

if you listen they sound quite different and its very distinguisable
There's a place where a depth charge ignites.
overdrive is a cleaner sound thats not so heavy and comes from a tube amp. distortion is just a heavier sound
Distortion originated when people tried to mimic the sound of overdriven tubes...
Overdriven tubes are vaccuum tubes that have warmed up and are allowing more that normal levels of current being pushed through them....

It's difficult to explain... Overdrive is more clean that distortion (if your using class A power tubes that is)

Overdrive sounds warmer, richer and cleaner than distortion...
distortion is just fuzz noise
overdrive is is what it sounds like. It simulates the sound of your power amp section being overdriven, so it is more of a smooth tone. Your power amp is the section of power tubes that break up naturally when pushed hard or turned up. Distortion is simulated overdrive, or a pre amp version of the same thing. So there is more gain, more saturation or buzzier tone. more harsh sounding. over drive should be used for blues jazz rock, sutff that doesn't call for tones of gain. distortion is for metal and saturation. Or a lot of sustain. but you can get that from the right overdrive/amp/guitar combo to.
okay re-reading that made no sense... I apologize...

Overdrive is when tubes are pushed, because of the nature of tubes it produces a more natural distortion that is pleasing to the ear.... Richer and warmer that Distortion....

Distortion is an ADDED fuzz noise on top of what the guitar is already doing...

at high levels of Gain (overdrive) it will kind of begin to sound like distortion, get all "fuzzy" (i can't think of any other word to describe this) and such, and if your using a solid state amp then that is exactly what your getting... but when you are using tubes your ear can detect the difference cause distortion caused by overdriven tubes is naturally pleasing to the human ear

(i work in a guitar store... it's been a long day)
you're all horribly wrong. it has nothing to do with tube vs solid state

it's the same thing. same exact thing. they mean when an audio signal clipps because it's being pushed to hard.

think of tubes/diodes/ any sort of sound producing device as a tube, and the sound as a wave being pushed through that tube. the amplitude of the wave (size) increases with volume. eventually the wave get's to big to fit entirely in the tube so it get's clipped at the ends. that is distortion/overdrive/drive/gain/crunch/ what ever.

but the two terms are used to describe varying levels of signal clipping. for instance overdrive is more commonly used to describe very light signal clipping, where as distortion is used in accordance with more of the signal being clipped.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
and in terms of pedals, and overdrive i just a softer version of distortion, that tends to be a bit more tube-like.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
In addition to what gpderek09 (the only one so far who seems to know what he's talking about) said, overdrive also usually compresses the top of the soundwave after clipping, producing a softer edge that translates to a smoother, more harmonic tone. Tubes do this by nature, and overdrive pedals are designed to emulate it.
Distortion, on the other hand, clips the waveform pretty straight off, so the edges are sharper and the tone is harsher.
Fuzz is simply an extreme version of distortion where the signal is amplified and clipped to the point where it approaches a square wave.
So for an extreme tone such as Slayer or other metal, which uses tube/valve amps for their sound, are they using overdrive or distortion?
I guess this is what gpderek09 is saying.
If you have moderate clipping (tube or otherwise) it's OD, if extreme it's distortion.

As for pedals, ODs try to emulate the sound of a tube amp.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
they are using Overdriven amps, which is emulated with Distortion pedals, even though it wont be an identical reproduction.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Quote by gpderek09
you're all horribly wrong. it has nothing to do with tube vs solid state

it's the same thing. same exact thing. they mean when an audio signal clipps because it's being pushed to hard.

think of tubes/diodes/ any sort of sound producing device as a tube, and the sound as a wave being pushed through that tube. the amplitude of the wave (size) increases with volume. eventually the wave get's to big to fit entirely in the tube so it get's clipped at the ends. that is distortion/overdrive/drive/gain/crunch/ what ever.

but the two terms are used to describe varying levels of signal clipping. for instance overdrive is more commonly used to describe very light signal clipping, where as distortion is used in accordance with more of the signal being clipped.

+1, nice post.

In technical terms they're the same, but in guitarist speak, overdrive tends to be smoother and less severe, distortion tends to be harsher. Plus, there's overlap.

^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?