I recently started playing a lot of lower tuned songs, and because of this, I went to get my guitar restrung with .12s instead of the .9s I originally had. So anyway, I dropped my guitar off at a local guitar shop that I frequent, and they told me it would be no problem, and to return the next day at around 5pm. The next day, I went down to pick up my guitar. I checked it out to see if everything was in working order; everything looked great. I thanked the guy for restringing it. Then he goes "that will be $38.50, please". Something immediately went off inside of my head. The price didn't seem right to me. I reluctantly payed and left, the entire time thinking that I had overpayed. Am I right? Is $38.50 (Canadian) too much to get a set of .12s put on? My guitar has a fixed bridge, if that makes any difference. Also, they were D'Addario strings. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I buy elixers, and I think they're roughly $20-25 a set, and have a great sound.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
I dunno how much it costs for them to put them on for you, but I know strings are only like $5 a set. Sounds like you may have gotten pwnd.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
What kind of strings? I live in Canada so I know strings go from about $7 - over 20. They will charge you for putting them on and may have had to re-intonate and adjust your truss rod to accomodate the tension difference from .09 to .12. So I don't think you got over charged. The lesson is: learn to change your own strings and do all necessary adjustments yourself and you'll save lots of cash.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Next time, stay there and have them show you so that you completely eliminate them outta the picture.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Yea, that seems pretty steep for a string changing. If you don't know how to restring your guitar, you should learn because I doubt you'll want to pay that much everytime you want new strings. I probably wouldn't even pay $10 for someone to change the strings for me.
GMO INC.
the shop u took it to probably put the string on and made sure that you dont get no fret buzzing noise,thats why they charged you so much...

Why didnt you just change the strings urself..
It's say less then $10 for strings would result in some shitty quality strings..
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
yeah i think so, 38.50 [even canadian] sounds like a ripoff...

Quote by Revalk
I buy elixers, and I think they're roughly $20-25 a set, and have a great sound.

i just put a set of elixirs on mine, im no guitar pro... but i think they sound excellent

- next time you should probably buy some elixirs [or other good brand ] and learn to string it yourself, its not very hard

-- i just googled it and D'Addarios come up right away as 8 - 10$... so from this it looks like u got ripped for ~$25... heck of a service charge lol evil guitar sellers
jesus Whats more troubling is that they took a day to restring them... You ripped Xcore
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Maybe they set your whole guitar up, that normally costs about that much.
yeah im pretty sure that they gave your guitar a new set up as well, to accommodate for the heavier strings.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Thanks for all the quick replies, guys. The reason I had it restrung by someone else was because I can remember one of my friends mentioning how he had his done for like 13 bucks or something, and the fact that I'm a lazy asshole combined with the fact that I had the money to kill made me want to have it restrung my someone else. But after this, I'm DEFINITELY changing strings on my own. The only way I'm going to be able to sleep at night is if I keep thinking that they gave it a new set up. And yeah, it pissed me off that it took a day to be done. But in all honesty, the dude probably spent an entire day at it. I told him I wanted it tuned to B, and he just started blankly at me. Then he goes "Umm, you're gonna have to tell me what each string is tuned to so I know". I wouldn't be surprised if I was playing and all of a sudden each string snapped off at once. But yeah, I've learned my lesson this time. Thanks for all of your help, everyone. Time to go down there now and start kicking and screaming like a little child.
well if your neck isnt curved and you dont have any fret buzz or intonation problems thne he gave you a new set up, and if youre tuning to B you should probably be using like 14s

Last.fm
Yeah, they definitely gave me a new set up. I guess I can breathe a lot easier now. As far as the thickness you recommend; I find it more comfortable with .12s; one of my good friends has 14s, and I find it more comfortable playing with the .12s I have now. But thanks for your input. Wow, I'm surprised by the lack of assholes on this forum. This is quite a breath of fresh air (although I'm sure they're out there). Anyway, thanks again!
well most people who tune to B use seven string sets and disregard that high e strings that comes with set. But if you can use 12s without the strings feeling like rubber bands then more power to you.

Last.fm