I'm not afriad to admit I'm an idiot on guitar. that having been said, can someone tell me how to tune my guitar to this olf blues unison tuning Starting at A440 (is that even right? )

D-Tuning, DADDDD, old Blues Unison as I'm told?

please help this dumb soul....don't make fun...i know i'm an idiot already.
well heres a guess

tune low E down to D
keep A
D- duh
G tune down to G (use a heavier string)
B tune up to D
high e tune down to D
You'll need to replace your G and B strings.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Wow.. I don't think I've ever come across that tuning before..

Cool though! 5 D's!?
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

There's one with six D's. It's called an ostrich guitar and was pioneered by Lou Reed.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Wow.. lol. I can't imagine how that would work...
Quote by holybassbatman!
Most people on UG are teenage boys who think that the only way they can assert their 'dominancy' is by making others feel low and bossing them around. More than likely in real life they are subject to bullying.
True?

What a stupid tuning, you'll never make any proper chords. Stick with standard, or Open G or Open D.
Quote by augmented
What a stupid tuning, you'll never make any proper chords. Stick with standard, or Open G or Open D.

Are you serious?? There is no such thing as a "stupid" tuning.

To threadstarter- Some dash board confessional songs use that tuning. Screaming infedelities i know for sure, if i can remember the others, i will post them.

I like that tuning, but it helps to have a second guitar so you dont have to keep changing tunings.
Not Enough AssHatery
That tuning looks like my report card. I'm guessing that is played with slide?
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by MySweetFracture
Are you serious?? There is no such thing as a "stupid" tuning.

Yes... but there is such a thing as a tuning that requires you to stretch over 7 frets whatever to play a chord. Inefficient I think might suffice.

You could do some pretty sweet slide riffs with that tuning though
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber
Yes... but there is such a thing as a tuning that requires you to stretch over 7 frets whatever to play a chord. Inefficient I think might suffice.

Who said he's playing chords?

And who said he's playing "normal" chords?
Just let the good times roll.
isn't that the reason of the tuning? is for slide's? cause when i see on youtube people playing blues stuff the comments sound like here, and the poster replied saying this tunning is good for slide's and also is Open G. i dunno though, i never really played blues. and if thats not the reason, id like to know what the 3d's help cause that tuning looks cool. good post too.
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs
Quote by unconstrained60
Who said he's playing chords?

And who said he's playing "normal" chords?

Ill be honest you got me. He never said that.

I am a little vexed however how you dont see my logic; playing a major chord on that tuning will be unnecessarily difficult, will it not?
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by notoriousnumber

I am a little vexed however how you dont see my logic; playing a major chord on that tuning will be unnecessarily difficult, will it not?

A bit pessimistic, Mr. Number

Playing things that would be extremely difficult in standard are now effortless. You could get some reaaaal sweet dissonance going.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by notoriousnumber

The thing's that you don't use tuning like that to play major chords, you create chords based aroung the low 3 strings (which is basically dropD tuning) and keep the higher 3 open to get a fuller sound.

just listen to old Dashboard, Sun Kil Moon, José Gonzalez, Joni Mitchell or John Butler to see how those kind of tunings create rich atmosphere.
I stick to standard tunings for the sake of keeping my mind safe from exploding.
Quote by augmented

your an inconsiderate, unintelligent f uck just for saying that.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Your guitars intonation is set for standard tuning i assume. Once you put yourself in another tuning step down drop d any change you make ( asuming your guitar was set up properly) the adjusted strings will not play the notes that they are theoretically supposed to on a givin fret. Going from standard to drop d isnt a big deal but what you have in mind is a very drastic change. Play notes on some of your frets and check with a tuner after you do this and you will see its all ****ed up.
And for you drop c and b players if you haent set your guitar up for this your freted notes are way out of tune (more than usual i know i guitar is never perfectly tuned on all frets) even though your tuned properly on the open strings.
Find out about playing using drones threadstarter. I can't remember which acoustic guitarist was famous for doing it, but I listened to a track by him and thought it was great. A very original sound. Good luck.