Ok. So I have a pile of old shorted out patch cords in my closet from the past 3 and a half years. I was wondering if there was a way for me to be able to re-use them. I'm assuming only one of the ends (if that is what went wrong) would have shorted, so if I figured out which ends are still good, or bought some extra ends, would it work to solder them to the wires to make custom sized patch cords to go between pedals and such?

Thanks.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
yeah, i've done that. but if the cable is shorted out, be sure not to use that part of the cable. i warn you though the quality of resoddering is not always good.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
^ Is there a certain way to re-solder the wires together? I've never done anything like this, and it's be nice not to have to buy more patch cords.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
well first you cut the skins off about 2 inches up the patch chord, take off the plastic coating, unwind the wires, and then sauder them to the metal piece that connects to the phono jack. fairly simple. but trust me, your better off bying another patch chord. because if ity shorted out once, its likly to short out again
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I've done this plenty of times. I've recycled patch cord into cheapo mic cables, pedal connector cables, foot-switch cord...It's pretty much how I taught myself to solder/wire stuff.
u never know when old patch cords come in handy.
I was looking at the end of one of my cords and it has a capacitor. Do all cables have them? I'm not stealing the thread, just figured it fit nicely
Quote by livrockdie
I was looking at the end of one of my cords and it has a capacitor. Do all cables have them? I'm not stealing the thread, just figured it fit nicely

No. What kind of capacitor is it? High/low rating; high/low voltage?
Your wireless unit? That might make more sense. It's probably due to the wiring of the unit itself.

How do you know it was the jacks themselves that shorted? If it is, fixing them could be as simple as bending a metal contact.

But now I have to recommend you go buy some quality bulk cable, and some quality jacks. I've heard Planet Waves have good jacks, and I know they sell bulk cable.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club