The way I have my amplifier set up, essentially, none of the knobs are less than 1 o'clock. It's pretty much boost everything (but boost some things more than others; I still have an EQ Curve, I just have the curve rather high). The only cutting I do is on my active bass itself (I turn the mids to just below half).

My question is, would it make a beneficial difference to my tone if I kept the same general 'shape' to my EQ curve but toned it down a little, compensating with louder volume?

For example, my Bass is set to +9db. My Low-Mid is set to +6db. My High-Mid is set to +12db and my Treble to +15db. If I turned everything down 6db (+3, 0, +6, +9) and turned up the volume, would my tone sound better, or would it be the same?

I'd try it, but my gear is at my drummer's and my dials are set rather exactly; I'd rather not futz around with them and lose my exact settings if it won't make a difference.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Your tone would sound different. The frequencies wouldnt be boosted as much - volume does not equal boosting of frequency. you should try though,. because it might give you a better tone...

To be honest mate, i keep my amp flat and shape on my bass always. Never touch the EEQ on my amp
Rather than mess with your amp if you're worried about losing your settings here's something you can try instead:

Open up whatever program you listen to music on (Winamp, iTunes, WMP or whatever) and listen to some well mixed music you like (ideally on some decent headphones but good speakers are fine)

Listen to the song through and then open up the equalizer on the program. Boost each frequency by a bit and listen to the song again and listen to the difference in sound.

See if you think you should try lowering the EQ curve on your amp!
Interesting approach smb, I'll check it out. I read in a bass magazine that some metal player doesn't boost his knobs past 2 o'clock or cut them past past 10 o'clock; but then again, he said he loves a round even tone that doesn't interfere (and nobody notices), and I'm not really going for that. In a power trio setting, the bass is half the melody, so I need to be in the front of the mix.

I've been considering lowering the frequencies because I know when n00bs crank their car subwoofers up, the kick drums start to have notes. They boost the frequencies so much that something that is supposed to be atonal starts to sound like it's a note. Anyway, I was just worried that my cranking of knobs is robbing me of my bass' natural tone, and I'm hearing too much of the amp's tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I was just worried that my cranking of knobs is robbing me of my bass' natural tone, and I'm hearing too much of the amp's tone.

Precisely why i leave my amp flat.
I have the EQ on my amp bypassed quite a lot of the time too - mostly when I'm using my Artcore bass.