The 3rd string (G string) keeps coming out of tune on ALL of my guitars. What's the deal? I know I strung it right. The tuners on all of my guitars can't be bad.. Jesus it's always the twilight zone for me.
bend the string.

what i mean is, fret the string on different frets up and down the neck, specifically the 15, 12, 5, 3, 2, 1. then while fretting, use your other had to bend the string up and down while it's in tune (G or whatever string you're strectching). bend it up and down about ten times and then move down the neck doing the same thing on each of the frets i've said.

then retune your string to whatever it should be. what it does is it stretches the string out so that it becomes more pliable and they should stay in tune.

hope it helps!
Change all your guitars strings?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
Change all your guitars strings?

No, I put these strings on last week. It's been doing this with other strings too.
Quote by Zultan
No, I put these strings on last week. It's been doing this with other strings too.

Did you change the gauge? I've noticed my guitar had to get used to it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
Did you change the gauge? I've noticed my guitar had to get used to it.

Yeah.. I went to a heavier gauge. But I don't think that matters. I think I just need to stretch/bend the string a bit, you know, get it broken in.
its the same thing on my guitars...the g string is always slighty off...it might be because its unwound...a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away...) the g string used to be wound...now its not lol i think its so you have more strings for high solos and things like that. or maybe its just cheaper. anyways just retune...if it bugs that much get locking tuners...and if that doesnt work get a better guitar...
Fender american strat and Peavey Predator. Lol, I don't have many guitars.
all guitars ive seen have the g string the first to go out of tune.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
also learn a better stringing technique.

get a few wraps around the tuner. ^ pick up a wound G, locking tuners, make sure ur bridge is just about level, ^^lube the cut in the nut, and let the strings settle in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The G's on Fender Strats seem to be notorious for their G-string tuning, at least mine, a few of my friends, and a couple I've played at the stores.
They're not bad or terrible or anything, it can just be sort of annoying at times.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
I'm pretty sure it's a simple case of stretching it out some, particularly if they are newly strung. Simply do a shit load of bends on that string, and perhaps even "overtune" just a little bit over night to stretch them out a little better. As long as you keep retuning it to the original position, it should be okay sooner or later.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
That happens to me too. When I am using my whammy bar, that string is usually the only one to go out of tune when it does.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Do you stretch your strings after putting them on?

Is the whole G string going out of tune or is it just when you fret it? (non-wound G Strings have weird intonation issues that are fixed by things like an Earvana Compensated Nut).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I am having this same problem with my $700 Ibanez. I have had it set up professionally several times, used nut sauce, graphite, wax, anything you could think of. I have done everything short of replacing the hardware and it still wont stay in tune (the G string that is). It has been doing this consistently for about 3 years now. I am thinking about just selling it because a single bend on the G will drop it almost a half step...thats just unplayable. Help?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
hmmm the same problem has been happening to me on my les paul... most of the times when i bend it goes way out of tune (g string)...soo i just tightened the screws on my tuners and it got a bit better
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Marshall MG100DFX *SOLD* REPLACED WITH PEAVEY CLASSIC 30
Boss GT-8
Breedlove AD/25 SR Plus

I'm TOOcool for sigs