Someone has offered me a Laney Linebacker 100W head for £100.

I need a head but am saving up for a cheapish valve one - maybe a Valve King.

I played through the Laney at rehearsal last night and to be honest it didn't have enough gain for our style - couldn't get a decent death metal tone.
And I ended up turning it clean and using a patch on my MFX.

Is £100 a good deal, or should I continue saving for my valve head?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Last edited by Dr. B at Mar 9, 2007,
If it doesn't give you the tone you're after what's the point?

I say keep saving for something decent that makes you feel excited about the sound coming from it.l
Valveking head may do the trick for you, but keep in mind that it doesn´t produce as much gain as 6505..If you need a huge amount of distortion, you still may have to use a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal with it. It has enough gain for me though.
If I use a pedal to increase distortion, would I keep the valve character of the distortion?

Because if I'm going to get all the tone from a pedal, surely I may as well have the SS on a clean channel?

What would be the best way of boosting gain and keeping the valve character?
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Umm, I guess the best way to keep the sound quite "natural" is to use a overdrive pedal (for example Boss OD-1 or OD-3 or Ibanez Tube Screamer) with the lead/gain channel as opposed to using a distortion with the clean channel.
Well, since it couldn't get the tone for you, I wouldn't suggest it at all, then.
Sent from my iPad.