Our heavy rock band is about to start looking for our first gigs in small bars, but I need to figure out what kind of guitar amp would suit these venues.

The main restrictions are money (under $250 US second hand) and size (needs to be light enough for an adult male to carry to the train station and back.)

At the rehearsal studios I usually opt for the sound of the marshall jcm800 over the roland or fender though obviously I'm looking for a combo now. The only effects I have is a wah pedal. Should I go for something with good distortion, or buy a good pedal instead?

Thanks loads in advance for your advice.
well, for that kind of money you're going to be looking at a solid state rather than valve.

you need at least 100W solid state, but 120W or 150W would be better.

Combo solid state at that power are going to be fairly big and heavy, deffinately liftable, but you wouldn't want to lug it far. Just carrying my AVT100 up the stairs in my house is an effort.

In your price range any amp is gonna be quite crappy all round, even 2nd hand (unless you get an amazing 2nd hand deal). What are you looking for tone wise? If you find something with a good clean tone that you like but the distortion is crappy i'd just buy the amp and get a decent distortion pedal to go with it. That would probably suit better if it doesn't come with a foot switch anyway.

DON'T BUY A MARSHALL MG
Are you willing to look used?

I think you can get the Blues Jr around your price range.

But for new, you can get the Epiphone Valve Special, and some of the Crate Palomino series.
Sent from my iPad.
well ive seen blues jrs for $300 used. but he would need pedals with it. it's way out of budget.

i suggest the roland cube series. i HIGHLY suggest the cube 60. find a used one as new would be about $325.

light, portable, high gain, moddler. no pedals to lug around. and the 60 Watter, is loud with a ext speaker out option.

eventually u'll want to go tube but for now, save ur back and ur bank account and check one out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Check out a Kustom Quad-100 DFX. If you said you'd have to find one secondhand, eBay has some occasionally. Anyway, it's a solidstate 2x12 combo (and the best one I've ever heard). Great distortion and beautiful cleans, plus a few decent built-in effects. It's got Celestion speakers in it and they are LOUD.

I feel like 80% of my posts are me always recommending this amp . . . and nobody ever listens, for some reason . . .
Quote by paintITblack39
Are you willing to look used?

I think you can get the Blues Jr around your price range.

But for new, you can get the Epiphone Valve Special, and some of the Crate Palomino series.

The blues jr is loud enough for play small gigs?
Quote by d3baser
The blues jr is loud enough for play small gigs?

Yes.

I bought a Crate Palomino V16 for $250, same size as the Blues Jr., it'll do heavy rock pretty well. My son plays a lot of Wolfmother thru the thing with a Fat Tele. You could also look for pedals used. Pawn shop by me has a few under $40, MXR DS-1 and the like.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
If he's got $250 to spend then I doubt he can get a blues jr or anything similar AND pedals for the price.

Also, a blues jr is hardly loud enough to practice with other musicians, let alone drummers, let alone LIVE.

You might be better off trying to borrow/rent an amp and save for something better with the cash you'll earn from your gigs.
thanks for all your advice. I'll check some of those amps out and hopefully get cranking live soon.
Quote by papersun87
Check out a Kustom Quad-100 DFX. If you said you'd have to find one secondhand, eBay has some occasionally. Anyway, it's a solidstate 2x12 combo (and the best one I've ever heard). Great distortion and beautiful cleans, plus a few decent built-in effects. It's got Celestion speakers in it and they are LOUD.

I feel like 80% of my posts are me always recommending this amp . . . and nobody ever listens, for some reason . . .

+1

They are some of the finest SS amps I've ever heard. Both Me and the other guitarist had one in my band and they did the job perfect. Even with my Fireball halfstack the other guitarist can keep up with his Kustom
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
If he's got $250 to spend then I doubt he can get a blues jr or anything similar AND pedals for the price.

Also, a blues jr is hardly loud enough to practice with other musicians, let alone drummers, let alone LIVE.

You might be better off trying to borrow/rent an amp and save for something better with the cash you'll earn from your gigs.

15 watts tube can do all that.
<spamP

Marshall 1974x.

</spam>

<helpful post>

I would go for a Laney, you can get those on the cheap. 30w, all tube will run about 2-300 used, or if you can't find that, the 15 will do alright i think. toss a boost infront of that bad boy, and you can get distortion very well. It sounds rather like a Marshall on rather light overdrive, but you can crank it with the 15 watt.

All in all the VC15 or VC30 is a fine choice.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.