My friend is a great artisit and I had the idea to have him draw custom artwork for my next strat project's body. I was thinking I will just shoot the body with a satin white finish and then let him go to town with different colored Sharpies and then put a satin clear over it all. Does anyone have other suggestions or tips or anything?
They are great looking pieces of art and I kinda got the idea from John Mayer's Crash Strat, but I love to build my own guitars and want mine to be a one of a kind for me. I just need to know if it is safe to use a Sharpie and clear over it or if anyone has another good technique.
Yeah, it would be no problem to use sharpies, once you get the clear coat on they wont chip or anything.
^ Since when do Sharpies chip? Last time they either smudge or go purple.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Yeah it should work fine but I think make sure you use GOOD quality sharpies so the colour won't fade/change. And when you spray the clear over it try not to mix it too thin or spray too thick coats 'cos the thinners might eat away at it?

Sounds like a cool idea. Post pics when it's done.
Don't use Sharpies!!!

Use Duplicolor Scratch Fix 2in1 - Click here.

It's lacquer and you can use Duplicolor's Clearcoat to finish the art.

"Scratch Fix 2in1™, comes with two unique applicators. One applicator, a Roller Ball pen tip, is an accurate tool for fine chips and scratches. User friendly and precision like no other touch-up tool in the market today. The smooth, controlled tip can be used at various angles providing confidence when making a repair. The second applicator is the Taper-Tip™ brush. The Taper-Tip™ brush allows for pin point or broad stroke use and can be used at any angle."

Quote by Ippon
Don't use Sharpies!!!

Use Duplicolor Scratch Fix 2in1 - Click here.

It's lacquer and you can use Duplicolor's Clearcoat to finish the art.

"Scratch Fix 2in1™, comes with two unique applicators. One applicator, a Roller Ball pen tip, is an accurate tool for fine chips and scratches. User friendly and precision like no other touch-up tool in the market today. The smooth, controlled tip can be used at various angles providing confidence when making a repair. The second applicator is the Taper-Tip™ brush. The Taper-Tip™ brush allows for pin point or broad stroke use and can be used at any angle."

And if you call now we will include a pair of yellow socks free!

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
^ Yellow socks? Yellow socks don't go with anything. Unless you own yellow pants, and if you do, you got bigger problems than your socks.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
If you want to use sharp test them by spraying some finish on top, I can imagine the line "blurring" under the clear.
Quote by Will_Minus
^ Yellow socks? Yellow socks don't go with anything. Unless you own yellow pants, and if you do, you got bigger problems than your socks.

exactly.... they always send useless stuff when you "call now!"

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
You can use sharpies.Just spray light caots of finish to avoid blurring or running of the pen markings.But why a satin finish???
Thanks for all advice so far. I'm gettin so anxious to get it finished now. I dont know why satin... just thought it would more like a paper texture then gloss would... give it an artist look maybe.