This thread is dedicated to a great progressive rock bands, a band that has received great critical acclaim and influenced many modern progressive bands, but for some reason only seems to have been mentioned like once or twice the history of UG (literally):

MAGMA

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:8qktk65x9krf

I decided to give them a listen because several bands i enjoy named them as a major influence, particularly Japanese weirdos Ruins and prog-metal band Behold... The Arctopus peeked my interest.

Knowing they influenced these manifestations of the forces of awesome, they had to be good. But there's nothing that could have prepared me for what i heard when i first played Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh. Holy crap. This band is nothing short of ****ing amazing.

It's like nothing i've heard before. Like much prog (especially early to mid 70s bands), they have roots in jazz... but this particular album sounds more like an alien gospel choir... one that's up to no good (as you'd expect from aliens preaching the gospel). Or ceremonial hymns of an insane cult. Either way, it's bombastic, spectacular, mantric, dark and grim, yet silly enough to keep it from being too pretentious.

Comparing them to other prog bands is pretty difficult because they're so unique, but there are similarities with the likes of Zappa, Soft Machine and King Crimson. And to a degree: Sun Ra. And Sigur Ros i guess, as that's the only other band i know who sing in an imaginary language. But there's one piece of music in particular that this album reminded me of: Carmina Burana by Carl Orff.

It's not often i'm this enthousiastic about a musical discovery. Only once in a while do you listen to an artist/band that totally ****s with your perception of what music sounds like. The last time that happened was with Mr. Bungle, more than 5 years ago. But this is one of those bands.

If you haven't already, i strongly recommend checking this band out if you're into progressive and original music.

So who else is a fan of magma? Because i am friggin obsessed right now.
Last edited by LKW at Mar 9, 2007,
They sure are.

Don't expect them to sound anything alike though. First of all, i think i ****ed up and confused Orthrelm with Behold... The Arctopus. That's the band that lists Magma as an influence on allmusic.com (and Orthrelm is listed as a follower on Magma's page). Not sure why i confused the two, because i don't like Orthrelm one bit, but BTA are incredible. They did share an EP once, that's probably why. It doesn't even really matter, because neither Orthrelm nor BTA actually sound anything like Magma. So basically i made it up... wtf was i thinking

Either way, allmusic.com calls Magma "the ultimate progressive-rock group" for a good reason: it's just completely unique music that i'm sure some people on UG would really enjoy. It's definitely not for everybody, because it's weird. But if you appreciate creative, original and totally uncompromizing music then you really must give them a listen.

One reply and 17 views in 4 days... i know i should have posted this in the "other" forum...
Nah, in the lack of people is made up with the intelligence in this bit of the forum. Not talking about myself, but everyones so much more with it in this section
Quote by LKW
One reply and 17 views in 4 days... i know i should have posted this in the "other" forum...

Nah, this is the right place to post it... Thing is, you have to remember it's a forum, not a chatroom. And people generally are lazy when it comes to checkout out something new unless it's given to them on a plate.

I haven't heard any of it personally, but I'll check it out.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i downloaded 1001 centigrades a while ago, they are good....and definately different from anything i had heard before....

thats the only album i have heard from them
zeuhl rock mother****er'
saduhsahe8rte38312812!
fadudsnuujn328rj023890~!
fsauh38nx,zx8888z8xxxxxzas32!!!11!
Quote by baron rojo
i downloaded 1001 centigrades a while ago, they are good....and definately different from anything i had heard before....

thats the only album i have heard from them

I haven't heard that one yet. I'm digesting this one album at a time, or else i might OD on their awesomeness. But from what i've heard so far, all their albums are pretty different.
I listened to Üdü Wüdü the other day, also a great album. And it's very different from Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh. The title track immediately reminded me of Sufjan Stevens' cheerful horn arrangements and female backing vocals -- not at all like MDK which is best described as "Zappa writes a Klingon opera" (courtesy some guy at amazon)... yet it still has that signature Magma sound, which is like nothing else.

I'm totally obsessed, last week i even was a top listener on their last.fm page
So I got around to listening to Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh, and...

It's good stuff, that's for sure... But damn, you musn't have heard a lot of the (incredible amount) of fusion bands that were blooming in the '70's all over the world. This stuff is pretty standard '70's fusion sounding stuff imo, still good though of course.

I suggest you check out the bands Guadalquivir, Laboratorium, Mad Curry, Melodia Jazz Ensemble, Alrune Rod, True Myth, Irish Coffee, Waterloo, Laurelie, Boomerang, Mr Brown, Oriental Wind, Krzysztof Sadowski, ...

All this is of course assuming you know some of the big fusion & prog bands of the '70's and on i.e. Return To Forever, Vital Information, Tribal Tech, Karizma, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Yellowjackets, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gordian Knot, Uncle Moe's Space Ranch, Zawinul Syndicate, Chick Corea Elektric Band, Gong, Brand X, ...

Any of those you don't know, I suggest you check them out anyway. Some are more alike Magma than others, better/worse... Tastes, eh?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
resiliance recomend me some good jazz fusion bands of the modern day, or just any good prog bands, that aren't either radiohead or neo-prog like arena or marillion.
saduhsahe8rte38312812!
fadudsnuujn328rj023890~!
fsauh38nx,zx8888z8xxxxxzas32!!!11!
Quote by bloodstained
resiliance recomend me some good jazz fusion bands of the modern day, or just any good prog bands, that aren't either radiohead or neo-prog like arena or marillion.

Umm... Look up.

Click.