i am looking into getting a gibson les paul studio. i dont know much about studio guitars and i was wondering... is the "studio" part just a name or do they not sound very good live??? because i want a guitar that i can record with and play live with...
The studio just means that it doesn't look as fancy-shmancy as the standard, the sound is the same live as it is any where else. I know a guy that just got a lp studio in black and as far as I know he's pretty tickled with it.
The main differences are cosmetics and pickups. The Standards come with Burstbuckers, and the Studio comes with Alnico. I myself have a Studio, the stock pickups were excellent but I swapped them out for EMG's anyway.
The Studio is a great great, but some people feel the need to replace the pickups.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
I've heard from owners that the studios aren't as sturdy as the standards.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I don't own one, but I've played one before. They seems fairly nice. Stock pickups aren't too bad. Basically, I think they're just a little more compact and plain looking then the Standards and other LP models. Still should have a good sound live.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
The pickups are the 490 (neck) and the 498 (bridge). They are the same pickups that come stock in an LP Custom. I have also heard about bad experiences with their sturdiness which is why I did not buy one. Plus they have the 50s rounded neck and I am a 60s slim taper neck player.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head
Mesa 412 slant cab
Monster Power Pro 2500 Power Conditioner
TC Electronic G-Force
SKG Rack Case
Yamaha acoustic
Quote by mrmnson
The pickups are the 490 (neck) and the 498 (bridge). They are the same pickups that come stock in an LP Custom. I have also heard about bad experiences with their sturdiness which is why I did not buy one. Plus they have the 50s rounded neck and I am a 60s slim taper neck player.

Yep
Jackson USA SL2H Snow White
Peavey JSX 120w head
BVS412 slant cab w/V30's
Furman RR-215 Dual EQ
TC Electronic M300
Last edited by gojira at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by Bazilisck311
I've heard from owners that the studios aren't as sturdy as the standards.

They're sturdier than standards. I just got one and it plays great IMO. I would reccomend getting one.
they are basically standards without a maple top and binding, great guitars and only 999.99 at guitar centers now
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210