If you've been playing guitar for a while, try your hand at theory. Don't waste your time learning songs.

However, if you've just started, then here are my recommendations:

Pantera: Floods, Walk*, Domination, The Sleep & Cemetary Gates
Metallica: One, Fade To Black, Master of Puppets*.
Death: Moment of Clarity*, Crystal Mountain & Story To Tell.

*=Especially hard/useful.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
heartbreaker by led zep lol
I'm only Welsh, give me a break!!

Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Airline 2P DLX
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender Strat
Yamaha FG 450SA

Peavey ValveKing 212
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop SW95 Crybaby
Shit load of Picks
Try your hand at some lamb of god. The stretches in Laid to Rest are great for a warm up, Hourglass is just one crazy riff after another, and Faded Line is just amazing all around. If that isnt hard enough, 1. Youre insane 2. Try some Trivium, Rain is a good song, and so is Like Light to Flies. In Flames is great for good riffage as well.
ur name is slashrules, play slash!
november rain by guns n roses is quite hard (trying myself at it whenever i'm bored)
or u take some scales and try yourself!
You only live once, so give a **** and HAVE FUN!!!

Equipment:
Fender Fat Strat HSS
Les Paul Replica
Fender Frontman FM210R with 65watts
Boss DS-1
Korg AX3G Multieffect-Pedal
Quote by Devdude25
Try your hand at some lamb of god. The stretches in Laid to Rest are great for a warm up, Hourglass is just one crazy riff after another, and Faded Line is just amazing all around. If that isnt hard enough, 1. Youre insane 2. Try some Trivium, Rain is a good song, and so is Like Light to Flies. In Flames is great for good riffage as well.

+1
Lamb of God is harder to play than Trivium... o.0 weirdo... unless you're talking about Sacrament...

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dream_theater/metropolis_part_tab.htm

That should keep you busy for a while.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
i need to record a song for my music exam and the harder it is the more marks i get.
i can already play a lot of Gn'R stuff like sweet child o mine, welcome to the jungle, paradise city, knocking on heavens door, civil war, 14 years and loads more
vai stuff or malmsteem stuff is hard

if you want to go redneck though, try zakk wylde's farm fiddlin'
Quote by slashrules!!!
i need to record a song for my music exam and the harder it is the more marks i get.
i can already play a lot of Gn'R stuff like sweet child o mine, welcome to the jungle, paradise city, knocking on heavens door, civil war, 14 years and loads more

Well...If you ever heard of Buckethead,( my favorite guitarist) go buy the album by him ,"Colma" and learn the song ,"Big Sur Moon", He has some insane stuff, "NottingHam Lace" by him is awesome too..I'll post links for Nottingham Lace..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYxrdrzmuUw
"For the Love of God" by Steve Vai is pretty awesome...Technical stuff, hehe..
Good Luck!
Last edited by Chubbes_Hammet at Mar 9, 2007,
Crossroads.. Clapton (Cream)

or..

Learn all the modes, the harmonic/meldoic/natural minors, and the minor/major and blues pentatonic scales.

thats kinda hard (gettin yourself to remember it all) but once youre done, youll be glad
Try learning modes up and down the fretboard. That'll keep you thinkin' for awhile.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Crossroads Duel... YYZ by Rush... Satch Boogie by Sattch himself... Erotic Nightmares by Steve Vai..
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
If you want to ace that music exam, I wouldn't recommend any metal, since most examiners are more classical/blues-based. Try some Rory Gallagher or Little Wing by Jimi Hendrix.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
^ you can go metal, i would just recommend something with some classical sound to it ala malmsteen, satch or paul gilbert. if you can play a flamenco piece you'll prolly get an A just due to the fact that flamenco is such a difficult style initially.
well dude if your lookin to ace and exam, i agree with sTx and z4tweeny, metal although one of the better genres(my opinion) might not get you were you want. so a little classical influence is always good so malmsteen might be the way to go, especially if you mastered the sweep arppegios technique
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Try your hand at some Jazz. You'll never know what hit you.

Exactly. Jazz is the way to go.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
You could always learn free bird. it may be long but that solo is pretty tough. if that doesn't do it for you, you could always learn Jordan by Buckethead... good luck with that one...
Thunderhorse by Dethklok is technical and fast
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
heres one for you if you dont want to play jazz, cowboys from hell, average difficulty. its harder then walk. then play the whole song with the guitar placed on the back of your head.
Pure improv over odd chord changes at a fast tempo. wooh! Fun stuff!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Mr Crowley.

That's a beautiful solo, cant see a teacher giving bad marks if you do it well.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Pantera sucked

*prepares flame-proof shield*
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Glasgow kiss-joe satriani

I do indeed meen John Petrucci getting mixed up lol
Trust in me and fall aswell.
Last edited by moro_sky at Mar 13, 2007,
I hope he means John Pet, you can't even think this is a Satch song, it's way different.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
Some Eric Johnson. Desert Rose or Cliffs of Dover.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
if you really want something to get your teeth into, try "cliffs of dover" by eric johnson,
that'll keep you busy for a while!
it's a fantastic track and took me quite a few days to master.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Quote by Oasis-fanatic
Pantera sucked

*prepares flame-proof shield*

i don't know how to respond to this

i really don't
Dude you can never go wrong with some oldies.
Robert Johnson, or Jerry lee louis, I couldnt see you getting bad marks for some of thier work. if your looking more technical Racer X owns lives man.