I've been getting fret buzz on my 5th and 6th strings and may try to adjust the truss rod slightly, is this something i can do alone without the assistance of a professional?
Gear:
PRS Standard 24
PRS SE Custom
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
BOSS BF-3, TU-2
if its only on the 5th and 6th strings it could be that the action is too low. look down the neck, you should be able to see if its bent or not, but don't adjust the trussrod unless you are sure its needed.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes, all you need is an allen wrench and either take the neck off, or if your lucky, your guitar has a truss adjustment at the headstock (like new strats). I believe that if follows standard rules (righty tighty, lefy loosey). Yeah I still use that rule from time to time, vanta fight about it?
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Slight adjustments are fine to do on your own but if as you're fiddling you can see you're making it worse and you can't get it back, take it to a pro. Any major adjustments should be done by a pro because at least if they break the neck they'll replace it.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
that's the thing, the action is too low on those strings...would i adjust the truss rod to solve that problem?
Gear:
PRS Standard 24
PRS SE Custom
BOSS BF-3, TU-2
No.

As Blompcube stated, the only reason to touch the truss rod is if the neck itself has a problem.

Buzzing strings does not necessarily mean thats the problems in the neck.

What type of bridge do you have?
If the action is too low across the whole of the neck then you need to raise the bridge a little bit. If it's just in that two fret area then it's a truss rod job.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thats not right.

It could simply be that those two strings' saddles need to be raised a little.
It's the RG120 bridge...tremolo bridge
Gear:
PRS Standard 24
PRS SE Custom
BOSS BF-3, TU-2
Could it also be the frets themselves? Would having the frets filed possibly remedy the issue, especially if it's only on a couple specific frets that the buzzing is occuring on?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Yes maybe Hakael but that could be like breaking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

PMaurer take a look at this; CLICKY

That gives instructions to adjust the action all various types of bridges. Follow the instructions and raise the action a little on the two strings. That should sort it.
would i want to turn the truss rod clockwise or counterclockwise for fret buzz at teh 1st fret?
Gear:
PRS Standard 24
PRS SE Custom
BOSS BF-3, TU-2
if uve got buzz on the first fret u might have a back bow.

fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Low E at the last fret. where the neck meets the body.

look at the middle frets around 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there u dont have enough bow.

measure and repost
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i fretted both the 1st and 24th frets on the 6th string and near the 7-9th frets, there isnt even a clearance...the string is touching all of them...
Gear:
PRS Standard 24
PRS SE Custom
BOSS BF-3, TU-2