hi i'd like to know if any of you can tell if a japanese fender standard stratocaster will be a good buy. from what i know, it has a BASSWOOD body, maple neck and a maple/rosewood fingerboard. will the sound be any different from an american strat?
Yeah. Basswood tends to scoop the sound a bit I believe, whereas Alder is a bit more middy. I think at least.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
honestly i have no idea. haven't even gone to try it out. besides i'm rather picky bout the colour, i'm looking for a sunburst only
yeah i played an early 80's jap strat not so long ago right after playing a more modern MIA, the MIJ blew it out of the water just a gorgeous guitar to play
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
i have a 1985 MIJ strat as you see in sig,WOW!! i love it!! check the forum for the thread with pics for it, search "what do you think about it" Comment
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
I have an MIJ made somewhere between '84-'87 (acutally my dad's, but i can use it as much as i want to) and we compared it to an American Vintage '62 Strat and the MIJ was just as good.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
People bum the MIJs, apparently they are great. I have one question though: How do I get my hands on one? None of the current range are MIJ are they? All MIM and MIA, AFAIK.

So are they expensive to get, from the apparently golden 80's era? They raise my interest. I hear talk, good talk, but as is I haven't even seen one
Ack, I want a MIJ so bad...
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
made in japan are definately a good buy man excellent build quality my mij blew right bymy mexican strat in build quality
my gear

1986 mij fender strat contemparary 22 (fuckin schweet)

laney tf200

big muff "ramshead" clone

alvarez acoustic (also fuckin schweet)
very nice guitar.

/thread

I love my new one. Artic white, pearloid pickguard, gold hardware, rosewood fingerboard. Plus the tone.......oh the tone....
Quote by Kurapica
Yeah. Basswood tends to scoop the sound a bit I believe, whereas Alder is a bit more middy. I think at least.

yeah im pretty sure basswood is middy.
http://www.suhrguitars.com/wood.aspx
now im defenatly(sp?) sure
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm
and again.

i like my basswood/flame maple top ibanez, but i spose that is just me.
but i do hear those mij starts are the shiz, if i get a strat ill be defenatly(sp?) be looking for one.
Quote by Jinskee
Ack, I want a MIJ so bad...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Intermession!!!

You have one of my dream guitars.

/hates.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
they are not expensive, i bought mine for 500 USD
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Kurapica

..Scoop? As in scoop the mids? Not at all. Alder is more focused to the treble side of things, and Basswood tends to be focused in the mids. A great tonewood, if you ask me. Cuts through the mix.
Quote by 7PlaGues
older MIJ strats, up until the 1987 era, are great high quality guitars. they are equivelant to modern day americans. I own MIA, MIJ and older koreans and I love them all. can you post pics of the one your looking at or serial number? im always looking for more MIJ strats

What happens to the MIJ strats after '87? Would an '89 MIJ be a lot worse then an '87? (I have a chance to buy a '89 ).
Quote by Amart
What happens to the MIJ strats after '87? Would an '89 MIJ be a lot worse then an '87? (I have a chance to buy a '89 ).

I would be interested to know as well. I have an 84-87 MIJ Strat (according to the serial info on fender's website) Is there any way to tell if it is basswood or alder?
Quote by 7PlaGues
older MIJ strats, up until the 1987 era, are great high quality guitars

I just bought a 1988 MIJ strat. Does that mean it isn't as high quality? lol

It's the best guitar I've ever played. I definately recommend MIJ fenders.
mine:
I have a 93. they are not all the same. some are better then others. I've had three mij's ,a mim and a mia.The mia had the best build quality overall.finish,pickups,hardware.But this mij is the one i would pick up and play. It has the best feel and tone of any of my strats. Lovely resonant body,rolled edged neck. It's the only one I've kept. .I'd still like a mia if I can find a good one.
Quote by Amart

I'd like to know too