I've searched everywhere and I can't find out what in the hell does a footswitch do. I know this sounds very noobish, but what exactly does a footswitch do?
well a basic footswitch will go from a clean to distorted channel, like a 1 button switch, the button triggers the different channels, there are alot more complex ones that go from 3 different channels, add a boost, and turn on/off your effects loop, so basically it just allows you to switch things from your foot instead of having to change it all from you amp itself
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
not much, honestly. does the cube have a footswitch jack?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by dertjoe
well a basic footswitch will go from a clean to distorted channel, like a 1 button switch, the button triggers the different channels, there are alot more complex ones that go from 3 different channels, add a boost, and turn on/off your effects loop, so basically it just allows you to switch things from your foot instead of having to change it all from you amp itself

Or it switches effects on and off. A footswitch is just that.. a switch that is able to be activated/deactivated with your foot!
Quote by Fired_Scape
so what exctly would a BOSS FS-5U would be able to do with a ROland Cube 20x?

depending on what you plug it into. can change between...
clean and lead (channels)
fx on or off
delay/reverb on or off.

for example, if you have it on clean channel and you press the FS-5U the amp will change to lead channel, then when you release the pedal it switches back to clean.
there is an FS-5L that does not have to be held down but it needs pressed down twice to change back again. its crap.
if you want a footswitch i would suggest a 'momentary push to break' switch. this was recommended to me after i asked what alternatives there were for the FS-5U and L. EDIT: this is a lot cheaper and imo most probably better than the BOSS footswitches for the cube