so i practice with a metronome and have this rutine of workin my fingers out by "boxing" it across the strings and back while doing quarter notes, 8th notes, and then 16th notes. and when i fell warmed up in that bpm i do 16th notes up the neck chromatically. my question is....is this a practical way to play faster? i also increase it by 10bpm. say i start of on 100bpm when i do what i described up their then i move on to 110bpm and so on and so forth. is this a good way to work out the fingers and play faster?
Yup, not bad. Really the only thing you can do to increase your speed it to play a variety of things and increase the speed slowly using the metronome. What I mean by this is don't practice scales and only scales. Rarely in an actual solo do you play a pile of notes in order like that other then the occasional quick shred section, so try out some random patterns you've made up (Starting note > Up 2 notes > Down 1 > Up 2 > Down 1 > and so on, for example).
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
alright thanks bro, i do that cause i'm kind of a late starter on guitar(21) and didn't take it to seriously until bout a year back. so i'm not fast enough yet. and just did the 4 chromatic box across and back to start up. any other scales, i know minor and major and the minor and major pentonic, i should look up? and i don't quite understand the last part you were talkin about?
'eh, it's never too late to start. As far as other scales, I'm not too sure. I've been lazy with mine lately, and have forgotten the few interesting ones I had going.

As far as that last bit, I'll try to explain a little bit. Normally, for example, you'd probably practice the minor pentatonic (lets say in the key of A) like this:

E|-------------------------------5-8-5------------------------------
B|-------------------------5-8----------8-5-------------------------
G|-------------------5-7---------------------7-5--------------------
D|-------------5-7---------------------------------7-5--------------
A|--------5-7--------------------------------------------7-5--------
E|---5-8------------------------------------------------------8-5---

Now, in an actual solo, you'd rarely play them in order like that. So, to prepare for some more realistic combinations of notes, try different patterns. For example, here's a common on. Start on your bass note, play the next 2 notes that are higher, 1 lower, 2 higher, 1 lower, 2 higher, etc. etc. and just keep going until you hit the top. Here's that tabbed out:

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------5----5-8-5-8---
B|----------------------------------------------------5---5-8-5-8----8-------------
G|-------------------------------------5---5-7-5-7---7-----------------------------
D|-----------------------5--5-7-5-7---7--------------------------------------------
A|--------5---5-7-5-7---7----------------------------------------------------------
E|---5-8---8-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the first 5 is your starting note. Play the next two notes higher then that (the 8, and 5 on the 5th string). Then go down one (back to the 8). Now we repeat (2 Higher: 5 and 7 on 5th string, 1 Lower: 5 on 5th string). You'll notice they start feeling like triplets (3 notes grouped together). Try playing this all the way up to a metronome and getting faster. Also, try doing it backward (write it out at first if you need to). Then eventually, you can make up your own little patterns. The whole purpose of this is that instead of learning all the scales in perfect order really really fast (which you should do anyways ) this method also shows you other patterns that are probably used more realistically in solos.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
No problem. Pay it forward, lol.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass