does anyone know whether a spider II 30w will be loud enough to compete with drums and bass in a gig? and before anyone says "get a different amp cos that one sucks", dont because i like it and that's not what im asking.
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - 3 tone Sunburst
Fender Soronan - Lake Placid Blue
Fender FM210
Boss DS-2
Boss CE-5
Boss OD-3
Dunlop Cry Baby
Fender PT100
Probably only if your bassist and drummer are kind to you. That's the absolute upper limit for a 30W amp, and no solid state amp sounds very good dimed.

Good luck.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
"get a different amp cos that one sucks"

You said it all right there...but seriously...like the guy above stated, if the drummer doesn't play too hard then maybe. Now, a 30W tube amp would be powerful enough...
tell your drummer and bass to play quietly. you'll be able to hear the 30W but it will struggle to compete with the drum and bass. does your venue have a PA?
It's going to sound like total crap cranked, but if your bassist and drummer can actually control their playing dynamics (which might be asking too much) you should be ok.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
if your bassist and drummer can actually control their playing dynamics (which might be asking too much)

I hear ya......all the drummers I've known can't play softer to save their life.
I know what you mean, the old drummer in my band could not play softer if you payed him money to do it, he broke five drumsticks it one practice session that was only one hour long! FIVE! Anyway, just tell them to play softer, because 30W solid state first off will not go as loud as 30W tube, and turned up all the way a solid stae will sound crappy, and feedback unpleasantly.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
All drummers have A.D.D. it's why they become drummers in the first place. They don't know how to play soft.
Whatever you do, keep your mids up. If you scoop them your sound will not cut through at all with an amp of that size and power.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
if u guys play metal...then u r doomed my man...
u may crank it up, then that sound'll suck...but the insane on line 6 should work to dominate bass and drums...i think
Quote by mr_hankey
I hear ya......all the drummers I've known can't play softer to save their life.

I told one drummer that he should play quiet, like this other drummer, and he said that the latter party "had no emotion," when in fact he is rather involved in the band he's in. Just not the guitar-ing part.

But to answer the question, I have never had trouble competing, because my drummer is dynamically sensitive. Not like a compressor pedal. I think that if a FM15 can do it than you can too.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by free-style-man
does anyone know whether a spider II 30w will be loud enough to compete with drums and bass in a gig? and before anyone says "get a different amp cos that one sucks", dont because i like it and that's not what im asking.

Not even close...theres no way...
I myself have actually sucessfully concluded a gig with only 30 watts SS.

Depends on your gig size, its gonna have to be small.

You're gonna have to crank your amp, you're going to sound like absolute shit (especially with a spider) and actually if your drummer hits hard you're gonna get drowned out.

If you're planning on playing clean you're also ****ed.

Good Luck.
ive used my spide II 30W for small gigs but now im saving up for something louder cause i got the biggest gig of my life (so far) coming up in june and a 30w wont cut it
my vox AC30 is loud enough for gigs. I rarely have the master over half and I still have headroom. But as it has been stated, SS and tube are different kettles of fish altogether.

My answer would be no. A SS 30watt is not loud enough for a standard middle sized gig. I'm thinking 50watts SS at least, 100 would be best.

btw tube amps are not louder than SS amps. They just SOUND louder to the human ear because of how the tubes compress the sound. However if you want to hear yourself on stage, then even just sounding louder is a big deal.

I believe DaveMC wrote a good little thread about this thats stickied.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278232
Ibanez Talman (w/ P-90s) & Fender Jaguar (w/Phat Cats)>Tu-2>RAT2>GE7>Phase 90>Volume>RE-20 Space Echo>Behringer A/B box>Vox AC30 CCH>Marshall 1960 cab

http://profile.myspace.com/secondtempo
Last edited by JayJayE at Mar 12, 2007,
It won't cut through the mix at all.

Even worse, once you dime it to try to cut through, it will just sound like high gain fizz.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
i ahvent had probs but only in small settings. suprisingly the sound does start to break up for ages on the spiders, and this is a 15 watter,a nd an un miked drum kit. I'd say go for it. They quite loud little amps when they need to be.