Hi all, im trying to play this song by soad and im having difficult playing it at speed. The problem is ive developed a very bad habit of not strumming up and down, i normally just use downstrokes but im trying to change everything to up and down.

Now part A is ok but i get very stuck with park B. I cant seem to play it without any kind of speed, am i right in saying i need to go down-up, down-up, down-up down-up.

Ive seen some live vids and im not sure if i should be playing this in any different way, is there another technique to this? Is there any way to move quickly to another string or is it just practice?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question

A
1:------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
2:------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
3:------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
4:-7-7-10-7-7-7-10-7-7-7-10-7-7-7-10-7|-6-6-9-6-6-6-9-6-6-6-9-6-6-6-9-6|
5:------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
6:------------------------------------|--------------------------------|

B
1:--------------------------------|--------------------------------|
2:---------6-6-5-5---------6-6-5-5|---------6-6-5-5---------6-6-5-5|
3:-----5-5-------------5-5--------|-----4-4-------------4-4--------|
4:-7-7-------------7-7------------|-6-6-------------6-6------------|
5:--------------------------------|--------------------------------|
6:--------------------------------|--------------------------------|
If i recall correctly, Daron did say somewhere along the line that Masturbation helps the right hand speed a lot.

try it and see
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
lol i tried it but it doesnt seem to be working

im finding doing the downstroke-upstroke then changing strings very difficult

im gussing its just going to come down to practice
Quote by yam
try it all downstroke?

all downstrokes works much faster for me but if i was to work on downstroke-upstroke wouldnt that result in fast play?
Alternate picking (i.e. up and down) is faster than playing repeated down strokes for obvious reasons, so yeah getting in to playing like that is good. You seem to be trying to run before you can walk - trying to learn fast guitar parts before learning the basics of playing. What I will say though, is practicing it slowly and correctly with a metronome and then increasing the speed is a good way of learning fast parts.

If you're wanting to improve your speed and playing, check out the lessons on the site and the Guitar and Bass Basics forum, this forum is more for questions about the website.
« »
I wouldnt recommend all down picking for this..Now for rhythm stuff in metal, its better to downpick i think..But for soloing, it just dosnt work that well...Just try it...I would just keep practicing it..Good Luck
Quote by captainjackass
YES i now own 11.4 sqaue feet of the rainforest.... could a tree fit on that?

LoL
Quote by civildp1
that was way to long to read so I'm just gonna assume it was about cake. and I agree, cake is delicious

Just practise tbh.

Are you suing a pick? If so then use it to pick up and down on each string opposed to strumming them, it will sound better and make you look cooler too... maybe...
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
A good song to practice for alternating picking is smoke on the water. Working well for me.
Quote by Funcoot
A good song to practice for alternating picking is smoke on the water. Working well for me.

....No?...Oh, and btw to the person that posted this thread, if you just started playing, dont expect yourself to get speed and accuracy just like *snaps* that!
Takes lotsa practice...I dont like playing SOAD songs though..No fun..But good luck
Quote by captainjackass
YES i now own 11.4 sqaue feet of the rainforest.... could a tree fit on that?

LoL
Quote by civildp1
that was way to long to read so I'm just gonna assume it was about cake. and I agree, cake is delicious