Im looking to get a smaller combo amp for when i go to college. Right now i have a Vox 100 watt hybrid combo. These are the specks im looking for in my future purchase...

1.) 500-750

2.) All Tube Combo

3.) Style Music - Hard Rock, Grunge, Modern Rock, Funk-Rock

thanks
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Quote by Guitarjunkie18
Fender Deville!!! or the Blues Junior (save some $$$)

so true!
around what wattage? 15 or less?

I'd say traynor ycv20, perhaps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
People are suggesting 40-watt valve combos, but that's gonna be just as loud, if not louder than your 100-watt hybrid.

Like Dave said, you wanna be looking at <15watts. If you're just playing on your own in your room and make the most of a tube amp you realistically wanna be looking at 0.5 watts.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Honestly any amp is probably going to be pretty loud if you're staying on campus in a dorm (walls are usually pretty thin). Get an Epiphone Valve Junior Combo and pray for an RA who isn't a jerk

Or just bring an acoustic.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
^^ +1

the traynor at 15 watts is too loud to be cranked, but it has a master volume.

I'd say the VJ is a bad idea, with no master volume, you have to crank that. and that's way too loud for a dorm...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You don't really have to crank it to use it. Just get an OD pedal and play quiet, that's what I do.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
You don't really have to crank it to use it. Just get an OD pedal and play quiet, that's what I do.

+1
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
^ aye, but then you're kind of defeating the purpose... but yeah, that'd work.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Eh...RA's. Just gotta pray for a music major RA (yeah right!).

Unless you practice in a gym or auditorium or something you'll probably never get to crank it up
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
What's an RA? (had to ask sooner or later)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks for replying everybody!

I dont want to lose "loudness" becuase im planning on selling my vox to make some moeny for the amp, plus, if i ever started giging i would need something.

I was looking at the Peavey Valveking series...what are your guys opinions on thoughs?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
tiny terror or a valve king, or a windsor or something
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
Quote by Dave_Mc

That's what I thought when I read that. If youre not gonna use poweramp distortion, you might as well buy a bigger tube combo it won't make a big difference. In fact, when I had a VJ combo and put an OD through the thing it sounded farty coz of the small speaker.

Zvex Nanohead is like 0.5W or something and is supposed to do plexi-like tones. Other than that, Matamp Minimat is 2 watts and is £299.
Gear:
Gibson SG '61 RI
Fender MIJ 62RI Tele
PRS Singlecut SE
Epiphone Sheraton II
Ibanez AEG10NT
Orange Rocker 30
Blackstar HT5C
Last edited by KazVH100R at Apr 3, 2007,
valveking 112 or 212
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Quote by Dave_Mc
What's an RA? (had to ask sooner or later)

A student with a badge.

The kid who enforces the rules of the dorm on his floor, usually based entirely on who he likes and/or dislikes. Tough to get the job without having a pole already up your ass.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
A student with a badge.

The kid who enforces the rules of the dorm on his floor, usually based entirely on who he likes and/or dislikes. Tough to get the job without having a pole already up your ass.

hahaha, cool.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by VLVTRVOLVR13
thanks for replying everybody!

I dont want to lose "loudness" becuase im planning on selling my vox to make some moeny for the amp, plus, if i ever started giging i would need something.

I was looking at the Peavey Valveking series...what are your guys opinions on thoughs?

Don't know much about the Valveking series, but I do know a little about loudness. To make your amp sound louder without cranking the volume just set your mids to the max.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
1. Not all RAs are douchebags. (No, I'm not an RA)
2. If you have a music major RA (as someone mentioned above) they'll never be around because they'll be too busy practicing anyway.
3. I've found that you can be just about as loud as you want during the day and nobody gives a damn. The only time I can see it being a problem is when people are trying to sleep (which is generally not during the middle of the day). Now, I don't mean like "sweet, I can crank my 50 watt tube amp" as loud as you want, but within reason. And I mean, personally, I don't like playing that loud when I'm just practicing anyway because I'm rather self conscious, and if I'm trying to play along with something, it overpowers it.

Now, from what I know about tube amps (which isn't much)- you have to crank it to get the best sound from it. Meaning, if you want to crank it in a dorm room, you will need a very small amp or an attenuator. With your style of music, I think you should look at a Traynor YCV20 (as Dave suggested) or a YCV40 with an attenuator. I'm not really sure how many tube watts are needed to get above drums/another guitar/bass/etc. and gig, but I hear people can do it with 15, and I'm pretty positive it can be done with 30.
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Apr 3, 2007,
I can get a decent bedroom level (don't know about a dorm, thin walls, etc.) out of my Peavey Valveking 112 50 watt combo. Turn all the way to class A, pop out the resonance button, dime the bass and mids, treble at about 5 or 6. Tweak the gain to taste and use the volume for level (obviously.) Try it that way in the music store first. You can probably set the vol to 1 or 2 in the dorm. As someone else said the Valve Junior doesn't have a master volume and would probably be too loud.
thanks for all the replys

to give u guys maybe a better idea of what im looking for, im really looking to buy a tube amp that is smaller than my vox, so probably a 1x12, but i could still use to play with friends and maybe a small show. I dont want to spen more than 750, so that Traynor blue 50 is probably the highest ill go.

I really like the look of the Peavey Valveking 112 becuase it is cheap and 50 watts, but i was wondering if i could find some more people to vouch for it it first

im still open to any and all suggestions, and thanks again!
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
i haven't tried the ycv50, but the ycv40 and 20 smoke the valveking.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by VLVTRVOLVR13
I really like the look of the Peavey Valveking 112 becuase it is cheap and 50 watts, but i was wondering if i could find some more people to vouch for it it first

I won't. It's cheap for a reason. The quality control is spotty, and the tone is lacking.

And I don't think you need 50W. That's a lot of tube power. That amp is going to be insanely loud. You can gig comfortably with half that, and some people gig with 15W. There's a variety of 30-40W all tube amps of better quality than that Valveking under your budget.

Peavey's Classic 30 or Delta Blues
Fender Blues or Hot Rod Deluxe
Crate V30 or V32
Ampeg Reverberocket (also 50W)

Plenty more. Traynor, Laney. You gotta get out there and try some stuff.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by VLVTRVOLVR13
thanks for all the replys

to give u guys maybe a better idea of what im looking for, im really looking to buy a tube amp that is smaller than my vox, so probably a 1x12, but i could still use to play with friends and maybe a small show. I dont want to spen more than 750, so that Traynor blue 50 is probably the highest ill go.

im still open to any and all suggestions, and thanks again!

50 watts is a lot of tube power. If you want great clean tone, go for it. But if you want to crank your amp you should probably go for something in the 15-30w range.

Remember kids: your amp's EQ is your friend. If you are having trouble being heard over the rest of the instruments, try tweaking your EQ before you crank the volume or buy a bigger amp.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
ok, thanks againm i deffinately do need to get to guitar center or something but im on vacation right now staying with family so ill have to wait untill after spring break.

thanks slatsmania for that little list u gave, i have never owned a tube amp so i didnt realize it was possible to gig with something less than 50 watts of tube power, but knowing that will deffinately change my search.
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic

Good luck!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^ +1

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?