Page 1 of 23
Title says it all. Write stories about stupid things you have asked, said, did, played, bought, anything. Ill start..

I once started playing electric drums and thought it was in the head phones when it was coming out the amp, everyone could hear it. Then my father came out and hes like, " Its plugged into the amp you know.." ..

And I went to a shop to buy a foot pedal once, thinking it was to switch effects on your amp with the flick of the foot pedal. Then later found out before buying one, it was a pedal with a specific effect or multiaple effects on it. This was a while ago, when i knew nothing. UG taught me alot haha.. And I don't regret buying a Zoom pedal

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Quote by guitarkid7
Title says it all. Write stories about stupid things you have asked, said, did, played, bought, anything. Ill start..

I once started playing electric drums and thought it was in the head phones when it was coming out the amp, everyone could hear it. Then my father came out and hes like, " Its plugged into the amp you know.." ..

And I went to a shop to buy a foot pedal once, thinking it was to switch effects on your amp with the flick of the foot pedal. Then later found out before buying one, it was a pedal with a specific effect or multiaple effects on it. This was a while ago, when i knew nothing. UG taught me alot haha.. And I don't regret buying a Zoom pedal

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

The stupidest thing I've ever done is forgetting to use the search bar.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I bought a Squier Bullet. Also I asked the differance between P-90s and dogeared P-90s like 30 seconds apart.
A long time ago i saw a dean v used at guitar center for $200 and I thought it was sooo cool. it wasnt. I sold it later for about $150

only other stupid thing really is that somtimes i turn on an amp without looking at the settings and some bastard has rolled everything to 10's. thats embarrassing even though its not your fault
Trendiness!
ESP Eclipse II
Gibson Explorer
Ibanez RG2610e
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Walked into a store, sat down, went to play a guitar, plugged it in, turned on the amp. started to play... nothing. Fiddled with the amp... nothing. Got a new chord... Nothing. Finally went to a person for some assistance, he plugged the amp into an outlet and laughed.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
I didn't know how to turn on and off a Fender Super Reverb. I wasn't familiar with the switches being on the back and I just about dropped a 1972 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe that cost $1950. The thing was in shitty condition and I almost laughed at the price.
Once when i was a total newb i went and my dad told me to try out this Fender Cybertwin.

I turned it on disregarding standby of course and i was there like "shit, this thing sucks it doesnt work" and then it warmed up.

And i played Metallica with that and a Strat...
i was in a music store, and see the guys there are the biggest assholes you'de ever meet. so im playing some high end les paul and this big guy who sells things comes up to me and starts trying to pressuring me to buy it. im like, dude its 3000$, and he literally wouldnt shut up, so i told him to **** off in the nicest way possible, like seriously it was nicest ive ever said **** off, and he kicked me out of the store for saying it...
i was looking at the used guitars and my cousin who's 10, had just bought a guitar, it was one of those little tiny ones that look like they're for two year olds with the amp built into the guitar and he had the strap up really really high, anyway so he tried to plug it into an amp and he didnt know how to plug the cable in and he made the amp squeal, when he finally did plug it in right he just strummed the guitar open, and he had the amp up really loud and so everyone in the store could hear him, then after he does that for a while, he decides to come over and see what im doing so while he's walking over the girl who stands by the door says sarcastically to him "nice guitar bud" and he didnt pick up on the sarcasm and he said "yeah thanks i know" in a kind of bragging voice

needless to say funniest trip to guitar center i ever had
HAHA. Just to be stupid. I pluged a les Paul Custom into a 65 Twin REverb. Turned it up LOUD, and played Stairway to Heaven( very well to be honest). The looks I revieved from others inside the store were priceless.
I'm pretty sure this thread will simply be dominated by the following:
- I didn't plug the amp in
- I didn't know how standby worked
- I didn't check the amp settings and it was crazy loud and people looked at me funny
- I didn't know how the pedal worked
- I didn't know Barbara Streisand had such a big nose (those she was pretty in her day)
- I broke a string/dropped a guitar/pedal/knocked over something/broke a string/did some sort of damage to something
- I bought something that sucked..

And I didn't really read the previous threads, but it looks like this has already happened actually. Anything new happen to anybody?
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Rush Fan 06
i was in a music store, and see the guys there are the biggest assholes you'de ever meet. so im playing some high end les paul and this big guy who sells things comes up to me and starts trying to pressuring me to buy it. im like, dude its 3000$, and he literally wouldnt shut up, so i told him to **** off in the nicest way possible, like seriously it was nicest ive ever said **** off, and he kicked me out of the store for saying it...

What the **** were you going playing it if you weren't intending to buy it? See, it's that "asshole"'s job to sell things ok...
Well I don't know if this is stupid, but when I was at my local music store, I was playing the Stairway solo. As I was looking up, I saw this beautiful(I mean BEAUTIFUL) girl in the store. I actually forgot what I was doing and stopped playing. She was kinda looking at me.(probably becasuse I was playing, not because of my super good looks:P She hen laughed and turned around. My father and the salesman were laughing also.
Quote by Rush Fan 06

You Dumbass. Doesnt matter who it is. If you give someone attitude, and act like a dick, you're going to get kicked out. I would have done the same thing to you.
Never really done anything that stupid.

I accidentally plugged the inputs and outputs the wrong way in a wah pedal I tried, I realised after a second, but wow, you can get some crazy sounds that way.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Never really done anything that stupid.

I accidentally plugged the inputs and outputs the wrong way in a wah pedal I tried, I realised after a second, but wow, you can get some crazy sounds that way.
I don't think you should be getting any sound from that, other then some amp buzz, and maybe wah-wah'd amp buzz... Maybe I'm wrong.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Revalk
And I didn't really read the previous threads, but it looks like this has already happened actually. Anything new happen to anybody?

My girlfriend was behind me when I was testing a guitar and walked up and like grabbed my dick and the salesman came up.
Quote by Revalk
I'm pretty sure this thread will simply be dominated by the following:
- I didn't plug the amp in
- I didn't know how standby worked
- I didn't check the amp settings and it was crazy loud and people looked at me funny
- I didn't know how the pedal worked
- I didn't know Barbara Streisand had such a big nose (those she was pretty in her day)
- I broke a string/dropped a guitar/pedal/knocked over something/broke a string/did some sort of damage to something
- I bought something that sucked..

Broke 2 strings? :p

Most stupid thing I did......getting into guitar playing :p

Nah j/k ...uhm probably ..when i got my first electric , walked into the store , picked up a guitar , " Ok i want this one" ...looked at an amp " Ok i want that one"

i had no clue ......what i was doing.......but eh i guess we're all like that in the beginning WITH or WITHOUT trying , all guitars sound and feel the same when you've never played guitar :P and everybody thinks his/her guitar sounds OH SO FAWKING AWESUM when they get their first electric/amp :p
Quote by Revalk
I don't think you should be getting any sound from that, other then some amp buzz, and maybe wah-wah'd amp buzz... Maybe I'm wrong.

Yup, you're wrong.
It works, I have NO idea how, but it does, you don't get any guitar sound, but just some wierd wah sound, not the full sweep, it's wierd.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Tripped over a vintage Stratocaster worth around $15,000. One of the employees looked at me and said "How could you NOT see that there?"
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Stupidist thing I asked was ask if I could pick up the guitars in a Guitar Center(Even though I saw about 6 other people holdong and playing them lol.)
wouldnt call it stupid, but here it goes.

i walk into GC with my band, and we hit the synth section, the guitarist sat in front of a keyboards, he started palying something, then i sat in front of some weird synth, and did a bass line, then our drummer found a big drum pad and put a beat to it.

that was a fun 30 minutes. we had a crowd.

and anther time, we had a pratice in GC, it was fun
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
wouldnt call it stupid, but here it goes.

i walk into GC with my band, and we hit the synth section, the guitarist sat in front of a keyboards, he started palying something, then i sat in front of some weird synth, and did a bass line, then our drummer found a big drum pad and put a beat to it.

that was a fun 30 minutes. we had a crowd.

and anther time, we had a pratice in GC, it was fun

Yeah, thats not stupid, but that would be wicked haha, a little crowd and everything.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Quote by R_H_C_P
Yup, you're wrong.
It works, I have NO idea how, but it does, you don't get any guitar sound, but just some wierd wah sound, not the full sweep, it's wierd.
Huh. Cool. I've been using a wah for a while, and never had that happen to me, and I'm SURE I've mixed up the inputs. Could have been the certain guitar/wah/amp combo I guess. I was using a Crybaby.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by Revalk
Huh. Cool. I've been using a wah for a while, and never had that happen to me, and I'm SURE I've mixed up the inputs. Could have been the certain guitar/wah/amp combo I guess. I was using a Crybaby.

It's happened to me before, made a really weird squealing noise that you could manipulate with the pedal. I thought it was because the batteries were dying before I figured out I reversed the inputs.

I've got two funny guitar center stories, not anything dumb that I did, but funny nonetheless. I was sitting around playing the blues on a tube combo I was thinking about getting, and a few people stopped to listen (one was another kid's girlfriend that stopped listening to him, ) After I stopped playing for a minute an old black woman asked me to play some rap... asked me to play Nelly I think. So I played some more improv blues and asked if that was right.

Next, I went to GC in the weeks leading up to christmas, figured I could get a good deal on an acoustic. Since it was close to xmas there were tons of parents getting beginner packages for their children... some of the parents were there with young children. I watched one girl who must've been 4 or 5 wander up to the wall of gibson's, ranging in price from 1500 to 4000. She stared at them for a few minutes, then started punching one. I gasped, ran over and directed her to the cheap squier's.
I haven't had very many interesting visits to any guitar stores...the best I can think of is one time, I was testing out amps, and I started playing Since I've Been Loving You, and the guys at the front counter were like "Whoa, I heard that song on the radio this morning."

...>.>
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Some kid and his mom were looking at cheap ass guitars next to the stack section. I bide my time until he's looking at a guitar. I procede to crank that master and rip a dimesqueal. kid falls.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Years ago when I didn't know much about gear I went into a shop to try out an Epi SG.
The assistant hooked me up to an amp, which I knew nothing about channels, gain, etc.
After playing around for a while trying to get a good sound the guy came back and asked "what do you think of the amp?" and he was grinning and leering.
I said "it's a bit twangy" because I hadn't been able to get a fat humbucker sound out of it, just a country twang.
The guy looked disgusted and said "but that's the new Fender Tweed series!".
I gather it was supposed to be a good amp?
Regardless, I was there to check out the guitar.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Me and my friend pwnd all the little nubs and got thrown out.

Well, we were there from about 10 am, and they threw us out at like 3pm. We played all the amps they had and had volume wars with the local shred goth fools. My friend kept putting the guitars we ere playing in drop C and such. I was beginning to like a LP I was playing and some woman came and told us we'd better call it a day

Although I had quite an intersting jam with a guy who was trying an Oange amp. I was playing I Believe In a Thing Called Love and the dude near me on an Oange Tiny Terror filled in the solos. We proceeded to have a nice 12 bar blues jam. Was sweet
played stairway to heaven
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
I have done nothing surprisingly. I dont plug in unless Im thinking of buying something, otherwise I just dream.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I feel like a douche for this but here goes...

In GC there was a 15 y/o on a Marshall MG (Ewww...) attempting Master of Puppets. I let him drag through it once, then I played it slightly faster that it was recorded for the album, just to be mean. Then after a little of tag there, he started playing, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, so I did the same there. He then attempted Triumph's Fight the Good Fight so the same dickheaded tag followed here too. He eventually leaned over to his friend and goes, "**** this!!!" shoots me a look and walks to the accesories section.

It was fun, but should I really be picking on new guitarists? No. Someone punish me.
I messed up playing Whole Lotta Love hahaa.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
My friend walked into guitar center for the first time a couple years ago to get a cable. He had only had his guitar a couple days. So he walked up to the desk and asked for a "wire".

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Last edited by Jackson523 at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by Jackson523
My friend walked into guitar center for the first time a couple years ago to get a chord. He had only had his guitar a couple days. So he walked up to the desk and asked for a "wire".

Since when have guitarrists had the ability to buy musical notes?
Quote by wonder725
Since when have guitarrists had the ability to buy musical notes?

Ba-dum-psshhh!!!!
I've have a C chord, extra sharp, hold the minor. A side of D's w/ extra flats too.

(insert Vermitide's comment)
I pwned my friend at a guitar shop once.
He was like "dude! i can play the intro to enter sandman so fast u cant even tell what it is!"
So he plays it (not even right)
I play it twice as fast.
And hes like "nah man its not as fast as me"

So later he trys to play Sweet Child O'mine.
I come up and play it super fast and laugh.

He still says everything i play sounds wrong. (when he cant even play Smells like Teen Spirit right).
Yes he is a uber n00b.

Another time me and my friend were at the same shop and i was playing bass on this stack.
So im bored and i keep slaping and poping mute notes to make all the drums shake and this lady walks up to me and says "your really good"
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.