I got my new EVH Flanger yesterday. It sounds really great but I got this problem; when I switch it on I got this "popping" sound in time with the speed knob. And this only occurs when plugged in the Effect loop of my amp. I want back to the store with it and the guy told me that it's normal with effects with true bypass(seems like the EVH is...), and that the "pop" sound will disappears. Is that true?
((( KoskineN )))

-ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe VHB
-Fender Telecaster Lite Ash
-Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo
-Fulltone Clyde Dlx, OCD, '69
-Boss BD-2, CE-5, DD-20, TU-2, RC-2
-MXR Phase 90 & EVH Flanger
-EHX Little Big Muff - Holy Grail - Micro POG
I'm pretty sure that pedal isn't true bypass; and good true bypass pedals don't pop.
I don't know whether any of this is true or not really, but it seems extremely odd to me that the pop sound would just "go away" like the store guy said.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Revalk
I don't know whether any of this is true or not really, but it seems extremely odd to me that the pop sound would just "go away" like the store guy said.

Exactly. Either there's a pop, or there's no pop.

It possible though that the pop only happens sometimes: like when you switch it on after being off a long time.
some pedals do that when they are new, it usually does go away after awhile.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah....but just to make myself clear, the popping sound is not happening on the moment I switch it on, it's happening during the effect is activated...pop!.........pop!.........pop! And it,s seems to be linked with the speed knob! But this popping is not happening when plugged in the input of the amp....only in the effect loop.
((( KoskineN )))

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
some pedals do that when they are new, it usually does go away after awhile.
Hm... I've never heard of/seen that before. I suppose it could make sense if a few of the moving components need a little bit to round themselves off a little bit. Still seems a little odd though.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by KoskineN
yeah....but just to make myself clear, the popping sound is not happening on the moment I switch it on, it's happening during the effect is activated...pop!.........pop!.........pop! And it,s seems to be linked with the speed knob! But this popping is not happening when plugged in the input of the amp....only in the effect loop.

ahhh, the pedal could be overloaded from the preamp signal, or it could just be noise from the circuit thats amplified more when its in the effects loop.

Last.fm
Quote by Revalk
Hm... I've never heard of/seen that before. I suppose it could make sense if a few of the moving components need a little bit to round themselves off a little bit. Still seems a little odd though.

In that case it would have to be a mechnical pop: with the sound coming from the switch, not the speaker.
what do you mean by "overloaded"? Too much effects in the loop? I try with only the EVH in the loop and the noise was there too...
((( KoskineN )))

Quote by mr_hankey
In that case it would have to be a mechnical pop: with the sound coming from the switch, not the speaker.
Yeah, that's what I meant by physical parts. Should have been a little more clear, but I could see that happening.

ahhh, the pedal could be overloaded from the preamp signal, or it could just be noise from the circuit thats amplified more when its in the effects loop.
Could you suggest a solution here? I don't know much about this, but it's caught my interest.

Edit: Nevermind, hankey got it.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

Quote by KoskineN
what do you mean by "overloaded"? Too much effects in the loop? I try with only the EVH in the loop and the noise was there too...

The signal coming out of the preamp is very loud compared to a normal, unamplified signal; so you're essentially overdriving the pedal a bit.
Is there a way to fix this? Cause I would like to know!
((( KoskineN )))

Quote by KoskineN
Is there a way to fix this? Cause I would like to know!

...don't run it in the effects loop?
yeah that's obvious!

But is the effect broken in some kind of way, or could it be my amp?

That's sucks!

Anyway my friend got one too and I will try his with my amp....then will see!

hey thanks guys!!!!
((( KoskineN )))

If your amp doesn't do it with any other pedals, then it's quite obvious where the problem is.

How's the Holy Grail, by the way?
i doubt the pedals broken, just overloaded, that happens a bit with analog pedals.

Last.fm
Quote by KoskineN
I got my new EVH Flanger yesterday. It sounds really great but I got this problem; when I switch it on I got this "popping" sound in time with the speed knob. And this only occurs when plugged in the Effect loop of my amp. I want back to the store with it and the guy told me that it's normal with effects with true bypass(seems like the EVH is...), and that the "pop" sound will disappears. Is that true?

to see if its TB and not buffer, unplug it and bypass it and see if you can play though it.
if its a TB youll hear the guitar, if its buffered you wont get any sound though it
if you mean by unplugging the power....I guess it's not.....
((( KoskineN )))

Yeah sorry!

The holy Grail is great! I haven't played a whole lot of different reverb but this one sounded way better and natural than the Boss one. They only downside of it is that you lose volume as you turning the knob to add reverb....but otherwise I really recommend it.
((( KoskineN )))

The EVH isn't true bypass, I checked it on Musician's Friend.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator