I think they have specific bass wah's, but that doesn't necessarily mean a guitar one wont work on a bass.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by Revalk
I think they have specific bass wah's, but that doesn't necessarily mean a guitar one wont work on a bass.

im wondering this cos i wanna sell my wah and big muff for like $100 to him.
In my experience the dunlop crybaby (guitar) sucked all my tone and sounded like wank.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
In my experience the dunlop crybaby (guitar) sucked all my tone and sounded like wank.

well with him he doesnt care as long as it gets wah :|
Guitar wahs really kills the lows, especially when pushed all the way forward (but that didn't stop Cliff from using one).

I would recommend against it totally. Back in '86 when there was no such thing as a bass wah it may have cut it, but in this day and age, there's no excuse to have your bottom cut out like that would.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Guitar wahs really kills the lows, especially when pushed all the way forward (but that didn't stop Cliff from using one).

I would recommend against it totally. Back in '86 when there was no such thing as a bass wah it may have cut it, but in this day and age, there's no excuse to have your bottom cut out like that would.

he's flat broke. its either save up for a new bass wah, or buy a cheap, 50 dollar one.
I had the cheap one (I'm assuming a dunlop Crybaby Original Bass?), and it was shite, too! It retained the lows well enough, but the volume just dropped. The only Dunlop Wah I think is worth it is the white one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've used my guitarists crybaby a few times and it really does kill the lows, if he is desperate for wah then i suppose he should go for it but it might be worth him saving up a bit more to get a proper bass wah like the morley
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
You can use normal wahs yes.

The Ibanez WD7 has guitar & bass modes, and I prefer playing with guitar mode on, myself.
haha
I've played through a Morley Power Wah, Weeping Demon, Crybaby Bass Wah, the original black Crybaby and a Bad Horsey (no I haven't owned all of them I have the first three in my possession at the moment but not for long) and in my experience the Crybaby Bass Wah kept the lows the best BUT its because it has a low pass filter to keep them. When you sweep low (at least for me) the lowpassed lows sound conflicted with the sweep. Also it sounds funky all the time. This is good if you play funk or funk influenced rock if you don't in my opinion it won't work. The Weeping Demon sounded boomy on low, better on high but the tone sounded kinda "sterile" to me (would be good for metal though I think). Both the original Crybaby and the Bad Horsey sucked lows badly in my experience but I was at Guitar Center so who knows what that amp had been through so it could have been that also. The Power Wah is my favorite (and the only one I'm keeping) it doesn't low pass the lows but it retains them well enough. Your clean signal will definitely have more full bodied lows but not by much. Also its the most touch sensitive wah I've used you can get rock sounds and funk sounds without twisting any knobs. Hope that helped.
Last edited by Silver Hammer at Mar 10, 2007,