Poll: The option which best describes my views is...
Poll Options
View poll results: The option which best describes my views is...
96 18%
93 17%
59 11%
28 5%
59 11%
159 29%
51 9%
Voters: 545.
Page 1 of 11
I've just finished reading Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion, and within it he presents a set of 7 levels of belief in the probability of God. I simply wondered what the general trend is for those who use Ultimate-Guitar's forums. Read which best describes your views and vote on the poll. These are taken directly from The God Delusion.

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, "I do not believe, I know."

2. Very high probability but short of 100 percent. De facto theist. "I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."

3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."

4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."

5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. "I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."

6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. "I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."

7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one."

Personally, I'm at number 6. I've gone progressively further down the list as I've aged, though I think I'll remain at 6.

The reason this hasn't been posted in the religion thread is because as far as I'm aware, there's no option to include a poll in posts. This is purely to determine the levels of those who hold particular views.
Gotta go with two in your options.

Although I would like to explain myself. I think it's highly improbable that there is a God but I, obviously, do not know. I live religiously and attend church but think that there is a higher chance that there is no God than there is.

Edit: Anyone who says 1 or 7 is either a moron or God.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
6. like a year ago i porbly would have been a 1 though.

EDIT:wow seems like everyones a 6.
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
One, personally, but I can't bear organized religion.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'm a 5.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Six.

I disbelieve Religions and their Gods, but I can't say I know there is no other... something
« »
Last edited by Burpin'Worm at Mar 9, 2007,
3-4. God could exist, but there is no way to prove it in my opinion, and short of an epiphany, I don't really have a reason to start believing.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by walkinbazooka
Anyone who says 1 or 7 is either a moron or God.

um, why? aren't i allowed to believe in God?

I'm either a 1 or a 2
Some Guy?
6. I don't believe in a mainstream God, but sometimes I think that when certain emotions are evoked that it can't just be a chemical reaction. Maybe thats just the feeling making me think that..
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Friends its not too late for you. You may think that the Lord will not take you back, that is untrue. Come back to the arms of God. The forces of "liberalism" have taken hold of UG. Its time to spread the word of light and truth.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
I'm Buddhist, so I don't dwell.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Quote by rich_sg
6. I don't believe in a mainstream God, but sometimes I think that when certain emotions are evoked that it can't just be a chemical reaction. Maybe thats just the feeling making me think that..

Sounds like you believe in a soul, sir... Is that what you're getting at? Kinda confusing.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by some_guy
um, why? aren't i allowed to believe in God?

I'm either a 1 or a 2

You certainly are but there is no way to say that there definitely is or is not one, without any room for doubt.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
*joins ranks of the 6s*
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I suppose I'm technically a 5, I mean, I'm not nearly so arrogant as to go the theist route and assume I know anything about the possibility of hypothetical arbitrarily defined god. But I put 6, because for all the proposed ideas of personal gods, I find them almost certainly false, for all the sort of impersonal "deist" gods, I think it's impossible to know and not all that relevant, and either way, I obviously can't say for sure. So 6.

Edit: The God Delusion's a damn good book. Dawkins is great, and an interesting writer too. But not God.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Last edited by jammoe at Mar 9, 2007,
1 - certain stuff and people who have passed on that i knew, where to good to simply fade out of exsistance. and it may seem stupid to some, but when listening to certain brilliant music, like mozarts requiem and the terrifying beautiful he tries to communicate for what he sees on the other side of deaths door, just before his passing, it seems evidence enough.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by SteveHouse
Sounds like you believe in a soul, sir... Is that what you're getting at? Kinda confusing.

I think so. It's confusing because I'm confused probably. Maybe I need to go on one of those "finding yourself spiritual journeys documented by Disney animators with a few songs, a hero defeating villain and getting the damsel in distress, with a moral at the end, film."

Yeah. I think soul is the right thing to say.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
To think that their is a possiblity that God exists but not follow his teachings is the most unitelligent thing ever. Do you think that "thinking" God might be real is going to spare you on judgement day? I certaintly hope you dont.

I'm a 2
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by y2james2007 :p
FOUR definatly. No one knows at all.

Religions by their very nature contradict one another. No two can be exactly right if they are taken literally. So, although you can't be sure which one is true (if any), you can be certain that the majority aren't.
Quote by Mynabull
I'm Buddhist, so I don't dwell.

Buddhism is cool because it isn't like "STFU ATHIEST GTFO MY INTERNETS JEW"

It's just peace and calm.

I'm a hair short of 7.

Everything I know and believe tells me that God doesn't exist. But then again...maybe...
Quote by cubedeathk
To think that their is a possiblity that God exists but not follow his teachings is the most unitelligent thing ever. Do you think that "thinking" God might be real is going to spare you on judgement day? I certaintly hope you dont.

If you think a God might exist, how are you to know which is which, let alone follow any of their teachings?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

i put a 5 but there really inst an option for what i believe since i believe in god(s) but in an occult sense which is quite different than the traditional judeo-christian belief in god.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by SteveHouse
If you think a God might exist, how are you to know which is which, let alone follow any of their teachings?

There is not such thing as "a" god their is only God. And we all know where his teachings are.