OK, so I'm trying to assign my computer to a static ip address but when I go to click on my Local Area Connection properties (located in Control Panel>Network Connections) the folder closes and the toolbar dissapears and I cant access it. Does anyone know how I can eradicate this problem or find an alternative method of making a static ip? Thanks.
Microsoft doesn't want you to have a static IP. They make $20,000/year per dynamic IP address.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Microsoft doesn't want you to have a static IP. They make $20,000/year per dynamic IP address.

Jeez.. How does this work?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

contact your isp, they should be able to help. back in the day, ntl helped me out and i have 2 seperate computers each with their own static ip
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
I'm sure they don't, but that surely can't stop me from obtaining a static ip?

Microsoft can do anything they want...
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Firstly, Sean I am disgraced and deeply saddened by the fact you did not ask me first. I really. really. am.

Ok, firstly, your ISP usually does assign you a static IP, it only tends to be special services or dial-up connections that are assigned a dynamic IP.

The problem you're describing however, sounds like a problem with Windows itself (with the window closing and all) so you have 2 options.

1. Try doing it in "Safe Mode" (F8 at boot and choosing safe mode from special boot-up modes.
2. Completely re-installing Windows.
3. Just not doing it all.

..That's three options.

Why do you need a static IP anyways?

Mofo.
Last edited by Softmod at Mar 10, 2007,
Quote by mister389
Microsoft can do anything they want...

Can they beat their rival Apple at delivering music services?

Unfortunately, no. :sad
Use Portforward.com and follow the steps.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
PortForward is good if you have a router and are trying to forward it for a specific application but if windows is failing him to even allow him to assign himself an IP then there's something gone wrong with the installed Windows.
Quote by Softmod
PortForward is good if you have a router and are trying to forward it for a specific application but if windows is failing him to even allow him to assign himself an IP then there's something gone wrong with the installed Windows.

He should be able to override it. I'm also pretty sure he's doing this for torrents, so the specific application selection is perfect for him.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Softmod
Firstly, Sean I am disgraced and deeply saddened by the fact you did not ask me first. I really. really. am.

I told you about the window crashing thing in History and was gonna continue with the Static IP thing once I got that sorted.

Quote by Softmod

1. Try doing it in "Safe Mode" (F8 at boot and choosing safe mode from special boot-up modes.
2. Completely re-installing Windows.
3. Just not doing it all.

..That's three options.

1. Tried that and it didn't work; was still crashing.
2. awwww.... you know how lazy I am
3. Well, I may not have too now, but we'll see.

Quote by Softmod

Why do you need a static IP anyways?

Torrents. Azureus keeps getting firewalled, though I was messing around with the router settings and managed to get it working; just need to wait and see if it'll keep that way from now on.

Quote by Softmod

Mofo.

Ho.

And Smokey I did but one of the steps requires looking at the Local Area Connection properties and for some reason WIndows won't allow me to access them.