Just wondering, what are some good, easy songs to play in the music store while you are trying out a new guitar. Most of the songs I have learned are either too easy, or a bit hard and I will probably screw up when playing. So far, I have learned Johnny B.Goode(needs work), Stairway, Teen Spirit, and some of Iron Man. I mostly sight read so I haven't memorized Iron Man solo, or Stairway except intro/solo. What do you guys play? Bits of songs, short and sweet licks etc. Because I don't want to seem like a complete n00b(even though I am), or screw up a song and look silly. When I go in, I will probably play intro/solo to stairway, some random power chords, and maybe some clean stuff. Any suggestions? Tips? It can't be hard because every time I play in front of others I screw up.
No!! Never Play Stairway In A Music Store!!! Its Against The Law!!!
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~

"Idiot"
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. I need to learn more licks or even learn to improvise
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Why do you care what people in music stores think of your ability. you're just in there to buy stuff, just play your stuff and see if the guitar or amp or pedal suits your needs.

"Idiot"
Sweet Child Of mine impresses people, its pretty easy actually. Iron man wont impress people. People shouldnt judge.

"Idiot"
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd

Yeah yeah yeah.....I've seen Wayne's World. Even if it is the most overly used guitar store song in history, it still has is a good one to play. In response to the other guy, its not that I care what people think about mt ability(well, actually it is ), its just I don't want to look like a complete idiot. I at least want to look somewhat decent.
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd
Sweet Child Of mine impresses people, its pretty easy actually. Iron man wont impress people. People shouldnt judge.

Yeah, i know the whole intro to that song. So I should try that. I also know some scales, so some improv solos with a few power chords might work well. So here is my "list" of what I will play. Corny as it seems...

1. Few power chords(maybe similar to "Rockin' in the Freeworld) with a major scale improv solo.
2.A bit of Johnny B. Goode.
3.Easy 12 bar blues with A major blues scale played up and down.
4. Sweet Child and other miscellaneous stuff.
5.Stairway intro/solo.
i always have aproblem with playing a really famous guitar riff, because i can't stand it when the staff or some-one else hears me play, lets say teen spirit and thinks that all i can play is easy popular stuff or i'm trying to impress someone who isn't obviously impressed.
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Quote by grunge geek al
i always have aproblem with playing a really famous guitar riff, because i can't stand it when the staff or some-one else hears me play, lets say teen spirit and thinks that all i can play is easy popular stuff or i'm trying to impress someone who isn't obviously impressed.

Well, thats why I want to mix it up a bit. Maybe play a few easy power chords with an improv solo.
I ALWAYS play the outro thing in floods by pantera. Sweetest 45 seconds of my life. Then i usually do the clean parts of metallica songs like the middle of MoP and Sanitarium w/ intro solo. Next usually comes a 1-4-5 style chord progression, and ending of with a nice bluesy solo that fits the previous progression.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Haha I go into the music shop, grab a guitar, tune it to drop B. Plug it into a Dual rectifier or JCM 2000 and hammer out some black dahlia murder or Parkway drive. Drop tuned metalcore riffs are so piss easy to make up. Everything sounds good.

For clean stuff I usually play arpeggio songs like house of the rising sun, colorblind by counting crows, street spirit by radiohead.
Learn the chord pregression for In This River by BLS. That's always a fun song to play in the middle range, clean with a bit of overdrive.

That usually tests all the sounds I use and gives me a good feel for if I like something or not.

Just don't play Smoke on the water. or Back in Black.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Haha I go into the music shop, grab a guitar, tune it to drop B. Plug it into a Dual rectifier or JCM 2000 and hammer out some black dahlia murder or Parkway drive. Drop tuned metalcore riffs are so piss easy to make up. Everything sounds good.

For clean stuff I usually play arpeggio songs like house of the rising sun, colorblind by counting crows, street spirit by radiohead.
Learn the chord pregression for In This River by BLS. That's always a fun song to play in the middle range, clean with a bit of overdrive.

That usually tests all the sounds I use and gives me a good feel for if I like something or not.

Just don't play Smoke on the water. or Back in Black.

Lol, I can guarantee you I definitely won't be playing those. Ultimate n00b songs.
Be cool.
Really, no one would dog you, or if someone did the employee's would stop them, after all they don't want customers running off other customers.

Honestly, I would go in and play the Smoke on the Water riff and show no shame. It gets the job done.
Its not really the songs I'm worried about as much as it is my playing ability. I can play fine by myself, but even if someone walks in to watch, (parents etc.) or even if I am alone playing and I put myself in the mind set that I am playing in front of others, I will mess up. I have to work this out first. I think its just nervousness, and maybe some instability with my playing. I can't always play a song perfectly even if I have it perfectly memorized, I still might mess up here and there time to time.
Be cool.
Well, even Jack Black says it is impossible to rock infront of your parents.

Also, if your having problems playing infront of people, don't many will be supporting and give you hints and tips. If you still have problems, go to your local arcade and play Dance Dance Revolution, after that you could run around naked in public and not feel embarrassed.
You do not need to prepare a set list for a trip to the shops

Just play a few chords, play a few simple lead licks, improvise stuff. The important thing is get a feel for the guitar. Nobody else in the shop's going to care what you play or be impressed by it, they've got their own stuff to buy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I agree with steven seagull, just play whatever comes to your head and see if you like whatever you are testing out.

I guess if you really want to play some songs, don't play anything they would hear 10 times a day.
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd

add to that list Smoke on the Water, Eruption, Enter Sandman, and just all punk, pop, poppunk, emo etc.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Why do people always worry about what other ppl think about their playing when they're in a music store? Just play and get a feel for the guitar or what ever your buying!!! Play stairway, play iron man, play back in black, play anything that sounds shit. It's about finding gear you like, not impressing ppl. You dont need to practice and learn a bunch of songs to have a gig in a music store.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Play the major scale all the way up and down the neck.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Honestly just play what you want or whatever comes to you, the best thing to do is just play naturally. Don't worry about mistakes or what others think, I went through the same thing and still do when I play in public. However it really is best to just do your thing, if you do, your also less likely to think too much and make mistakes.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows