I don't see how that could possibly work... Don't pickups work by reading the vibrations of a metal string above them?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

*pee-wee voice* SCREAM REAL LOUD!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by SteveHouse
I don't see how that could possibly work... Don't pickups work by reading the vibrations of a metal string above them?

Thats true but its the vibration air that cause the disturbance in the magnetic feild
My Gear:

Fender 2008 American Series Standard Stratocaster
Hand Made Acoustic Guitar (made by my uncle)
Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 with maestro trem
BOSS DS-1
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Peavey Bandit
i have tried this, but it doesn't work with most pickups...the only ones i've known it to work with are SD hot rails for a strat...but it does sound pretty crazy...i don't know how it works, but it does...
You can do it with pretty much any guitar...

Just turn up the volume on your amp very loud, spack on some delay or echo, shout, and listen.
I've tried it, but couldn't get it to work too well. However, I have seen a friend do it with a crappy school guitar that's 20 years old in semi-functional condition. He had to turn the amp to full power, though. Gain definetely helps, but mute the strings to avoid killing your neighbours
poor mans talk-box =)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
maybe he has a piercing or something that transfers vibrations
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
First off...Coheed and Cambria f'ing rocks...

Secondly, to do it, you need mega high gain and volume, dont just talk into the pickups...SCREAM YOUR ASS OFF into the pick ups. Then you'll get it.

By the way Claudio (the lead singer) is using EMG's 85 and 81. I have those and use them for that little trick. The trick never works on my Ibanez with stock pick ups.
The pickups have to have mega high output. My dad described doing this with a Les Paul back in the 70's, but he must have had the volume way up and the guy who owned the LP must have done something weird with the pickups, cos high gain pickups in those days simply didn't exist.
is that why hendrix played with teeth?
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
Quote by Freddy_Walker
Thats true but its the vibration air that cause the disturbance in the magnetic feild

No its not, electric guitar pickups are electro magnets hence its the vibration of the steel string which causes a signal air does sweet FA on its own,,,,I think
You can also put the strings up against your throat. I've done that before.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I wanna try this when im home alone.
My family will think im mentally insane if they heard me screaming into my pickups ;P
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Last edited by Woogles at Mar 9, 2007,
It's easy to do. Make sure you have a lot of gain then put your lip to the string and speak. I figured I should be able to do it because I have the same guitar as Gilbert but you can do it with anything, I've done it with a MiM Strat ffs.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by sajuuk
No its not, electric guitar pickups are electro magnets hence its the vibration of the steel string which causes a signal air does sweet FA on its own,,,,I think

maybe its your voice vibrating the strings which the pickups can then pickup...

doubt it though but it would make sense considering that you really have to scream into the pickups for it to work
Quote by SteveHouse

if your voice is vibrating the strings then it could, in a similar way that a mic works.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
yeah just turn the distortion way up and put your throat on the strings and just talk
To do this you need shit loads of gain.
Trust in me and fall aswell.