Listen, i love metal, you love metal, we all love metal. There is a genre for everyone. But recently I've been heering ppl talk about genres that don't exist, battle, war, troll, vampire etc. Metal is not that hard to seperate into different groups, and there are not alot. There is thrash, speed, power, heavy, traditional, symphonic, doom, black, death, metalcore, folk, viking, gothic, progressive, industrial,and melodic. There are no other genres!!! Nu, and alt. are not forms of metal as most of you will agree with me. They are overrated commercial sellouts popularized by mtv, along with the simplicity of their riffs. Genres such as "battle" "war" "gore" "troll" and others, are not genres. All the bands in the "troll" are variations of folk/viking, not an entire new genre. Also as for the others, just because they sing about wars, trolls, and violence doesnt make it a new genre. It also doesnt make it a new genre if it sound only a bit different, it must have a large impact on the sound. Just because dragon force sings about dragons, that doesnt make it "dragon metal" and just because GWAR sings about sex, that doesnt make it "sex metal" And if you have something to say to me, leave post ill repsond wenever, but all i said is true, and if you're infuriated about my logic on this about metal core and all, or how i know all this, try the biggest metal archives any wher!! www.metal-archives.com 40000+ bands, we all know what we are talking about down there. If its not on that site, its not metal, if it is, we have it and if not, tell us and well add it.
Last edited by sparky303 at Mar 9, 2007,
my favorite metal genre is straight up death metal(also melodic), I also like thrash alot and (plz don't kill me for this but) deathcore
Last edited by Rything Shred at Mar 9, 2007,
Love metal? lol HIM sucks and that's not a real genre.

Currently, my favorite style of metal is melodic death (as it has been for a number of years).

I'm getting pretty into grind lately too.
yea death is straight up metal, although i dont like it because once youve listened to 15000+ you realize they all sound the same , but thrash owns.lol i wont kill you but deathcore is deathmetal
Well, sometimes people just describe it as they hear it.

Sure, it may not be "official" (then again, what is?), but if someone hears a band and it sounds like one genre, but has a hint of another, but it's not a clear mix, and has a unique sound, they just name it as they hear it.

So, all of these "fake" genres you speak of may not be well known or well used, but that doesn't make them fake, they are just mixes that can't be properly described, which can either be a bad or good thing.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Have you ever heard of paragraphs?

Industrial IS a valid genre, Red Harvest, Fear Factory, Godflesh etc are plainly respectable Metal acts. just to say. But I agree that rubbish like Viking Metal and Battle Metal are just 'Pish-Posh' terminologies.

And we all know about metal-archives, we don't need informing.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
i didnt say nething about HIM what are you talking about?? they arent even close to being metal.melodic death is under melodic though, all bands in the "genre" can be put into either death or melodic
There are more. Drone, sludge, gore. Plus sub-sub-genres, like melo death, tech death, blackened death, brutal death, old black, new black, folkened black, trad doom, funeral doom, deathened blacl, blackened folk etc. etc.

Metalcore is not a sub-genre of metal, either. It is a sub-genre of hardcore, as is grindcore. Anything with CORE in it is not metal.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by sparky303
lol i wont kill you but deathcore is deathmetal

yeah, rarely is there a deathcore band that isn't just flat out melodic death metal + breakdowns.
woops i did forget progressive!!! grrrrrrrrr thanks, but sludge??? wtf no....just no.....
Progressive metal is argueable. Any genre can be progressive, and is often too vague a term. Death and Dream Thatre are both progressive, but neither band sounds similar.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
Quote by Plus_the_Bear
Metalcore is not a sub-genre of metal, either. It is a sub-genre of hardcore, as is grindcore. Anything with CORE in it is not metal.

You could've just summed this up with, "Hey, look at me! I'm extremely ignorant."

Metalcore is usually hardcore influenced metal, sorry to burst your bubble. Grindcore is much much closer to metal than it is to hardcore, regardless of its roots. Saying grind isn't metal is like saying thrash isn't metal.
Quote by sparky303
woops i did forget progressive!!! grrrrrrrrr thanks, but sludge??? wtf no....just no.....

Sludge is very much a genre. It is not some silly genre coined by a band's lyrics, it is a genre all of it's own. Neurosis is a good example of a sludge band. At least their old stuff was sludge.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
true it is a very vauge term, but so is metal as it includes everything from elvenking to A.x.C.x and i gtgc yall later \,,/0.0\,,/
You're a member at MA and you don't acknowledge Sludge Metal as a Sub-Genre?

Again, plently of respectable 'Sludge Metal' acts, Crowbar, Eyehategod, Iron Monkey, Corrosion of Conformity, Down, Buried at Sea etc.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see this closed soon.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Plus_the_Bear

Quote by i am the robots
Eyehategod is sludge, right? And Dystopia?
I dont know much about sludge. I just know it is a genre and that it cannot be argued as otherwise.

Dyers Eve knows what he is talking about. Sludge IS a genre.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
right but sludge is sub genre of doom, if it is under any other category thn it is not its own genre, it is the above, so all these "sludge" bands, they are just doom bands with minor changes
Sub-genres=genres, smart one. If you are saying that they aren't, that just nullifys your main arguement because all of the genres you claim to BE genres are sub-genres themselves. Stop talking now, you look like an idiot.
Quote by Everybody

My rig:

Dunlops Picks
Quote by sparky303
right but sludge is sub genre of doom, if it is under any other category thn it is not its own genre, it is the above, so all these "sludge" bands, they are just doom bands with minor changes

No, they are different. Of course there are bands that cross both genres like Electric Wizard, but they are separate.
Just because something is slow doesn't mean it is doom.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Alright. I just wanna say: MA has way too many dumb shits about metal who cant accept genres with other things thrown in, or that arent flat out thrash, etc. Too many dumb shits about bands like Opeth, Agalloch, and other bands like that.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Who cares? Just listen and label how you like. As long as you're happy with the labels you give and feel like you know enough about the bands you label, then it's fine.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Plus_the_Bear
There are more. Drone, sludge, gore. Plus sub-sub-genres, like melo death, tech death, blackened death, brutal death, old black, new black, folkened black, trad doom, funeral doom, deathened blacl, blackened folk etc. etc.

blackened death and deathend black? lol that's ****ing gay. They shouldn't exist. Period. Folkened black? you mean FOLK METAL? Blackened folk... you mean FOLK METAL?

You sir, have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote by Burning_Angel
Alright. I just wanna say: MA has way too many dumb shits about metal who cant accept genres with other things thrown in, or that arent flat out thrash, etc. Too many dumb shits about bands like Opeth, Agalloch, and other bands like that.

That's simple. Opeth = Prog metal, Agalloch = Folk/Doom

Quote by sparky303
Listen, i love metal, you love metal, we all love metal. There is a genre for everyone. But recently I've been heering ppl talk about genres that don't exist, battle, war, troll, vampire etc.

I don't think many people recognize those as legitimate genres, just descriptions.

Metal is not that hard to seperate into different groups, and there are not alot. There is thrash, speed, power, heavy, traditional, symphonic, doom, black, death, metalcore, folk, viking, gothic, progressive, industrial,and melodic. There are no other genres!!!

heavy, traditional? aren't they the same thing?

Viking metal isn't a genre. You can't have a genre based on lyrics alone. Any bands that are XXXXX metal because of their lyrics should be in a different sub-genre based on their actual sound rather than their lyrical content. Lots of bands sing about vikings. Are they all viking metal? Obviously not.

Nu, and alt. are not forms of metal as most of you will agree with me. They are overrated commercial sellouts popularized by mtv, along with the simplicity of their riffs.

Old ****ing news, move on.

Genres such as "battle" "war" "gore" "troll" and others, are not genres. All the bands in the "troll" are variations of folk/viking, not an entire new genre. Also as for the others, just because they sing about wars, trolls, and violence doesnt make it a new genre. It also doesnt make it a new genre if it sound only a bit different, it must have a large impact on the sound.

No ****ing shit. Viking metal isn't a genre either, its probably either Folk, Black, or Melodic Death. 99% true. See my first two points.

Just because dragon force sings about dragons, that doesnt make it "dragon metal" and just because GWAR sings about sex, that doesnt make it "sex metal" And if you have something to say to me, leave post ill repsond wenever, but all i said is true, and if you're infuriated about my logic on this about metal core and all, or how i know all this, try the biggest metal archives any wher!! www.metal-archives.com 40000+ bands, we all know what we are talking about down there. If its not on that site, its not metal, if it is, we have it and if not, tell us and well add it.

Old ****ing news. Metal-Archives sucks pretty hard anyway. I like BNR metal more. Come back when you've passed through preschool, can form paragraphs and actually spend time in the forum and get to know the population before you come spam our board about how much we don't know. We're probably deeper into metal than half the nitwits over there at faggot-archives.com anyway.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 9, 2007,
Thanks for wasting my life trying to prove your idiotic opinions are right. Gore is a genre, it's called goregrind. See Reek Of Putrefaction.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
blackened death and deathend black? lol that's ****ing gay. They shouldn't exist. Period. Folkened black? you mean FOLK METAL? Blackened folk... you mean FOLK METAL?

You sir, have no idea what you're talking about.

It's just blackened death metal which is a combination of black and death metal. Blackened folk metal is folk metal with BM influences. What's so difficult to grasp? These genre names are given mainly because some bands don't fit into either genre, so they're just in between.
Last edited by Embodiment at Mar 9, 2007,
Lol @ threadstarter saying sludge wasn't a genre.

As someone else pointed out earlier, most genres are simple amalgamations of other genre names to try and describe the band. For example.
Opeth are a progressive death metal band.
Now that describes them perfectly. They are a death metal band that also has progressive elements.
Death is a technical progressive death metal band. Because they are a technical death metal band with progressive elements.
Turisas call themselves "Battle metal". Because it sounds like the music you could expect to hear in something like Lord of the Rings or Braveheart. I've heard people describe bands so randomly, that no one else would think of, because it helps convey an image to someone else. If you say "_____ is a gothic metal band" then the other person might simply think of lacuna coil. If you say "_____ is like...a vampire gothic metal band" then all of a sudden, the other person's first impression is so much more clear. That doesn't mean that "vampire gothic metal" is actually a real, recognised genre, it just helps other people get a general idea. Same with H.I.M.. I hate them, but the term "Love Metal" is a decent way of describing them. Because thats their main lyrical topic. Well, thats my opinion on the subject anyway. Feel free to disagree.

/end rant
Quote by xxgenocide98xx

That's simple. Opeth = Prog metal, Agalloch = Folk/Doom

I know that. I mean people dont accept those types of bands. It's just music. I dont care if you dont like it and think they band isn't metal, get over it, they're still metal if they're widely accepted as such.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Quote by Embodiment
Thanks for wasting my life trying to prove your idiotic opinions are right. Gore is a genre, it's called goregrind. See Reek Of Putrefaction.

It's just blackened death metal which is a combination of black and death metal. Blackened folk metal is folk metal with BM influences. What's so difficult to grasp? These genre names are given mainly because some bands don't fit into either genre, so they're just in between.

Blackened death doesn't need a genre. Its either black, or its death. All the cases and examples I can think of people using "blackened death" is for a black metal band that went death metal like Behemoth or something.

Blackened folk is folk with black metal influences? Most folk metal bands (that I hear) are predominantly black metal anyway, so why should we restate the obvious?

Oh, and don't forget about folkened black, which is black metal with folk influences.. oh wait.. its the SAME ****ING THING YOU JUST SAID.

Lets start calling some Metal-Core Core-Metal because its slightly less metal than other metalcore bands. Great idea.

Quote by Burning_Angel
I know that. I mean people dont accept those types of bands. It's just music. I dont care if you dont like it and think they band isn't metal, get over it, they're still metal if they're widely accepted as such.

there isn't anything un-metal about opeth or agalloch.

if gayer bands can be considered metal, why shouldn't they? I agree with you. I just gave up a classification of the two (to my best knowledge). I can't blame you for them being idiots, that's their problem, haha.

EDIT:

Since we all like genres, how about my band??

I call it Nu-Black-Christ Raping-Necro-Chuck Berry-Jesus-Core.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Mar 9, 2007,
Would you call Nile... Egyptian Death metal ?

its completely egyptian based cmon
As far as I'm concerned, subgenres are just something you'd use to describe a band's sound to someone. Arguing which genres "exist" or not seems pointless. Metal is such a diverse genre that subgenres are more or less needed to keep everything straight, but people take some of it way too seriously.
Quote by sparky303

YESSSSS!!!!! Sludge metal! you dont even know....