i was looking at dimarzios and there was an f-spaced pickup and a reg. space pickup. wats the difference?
F spaced are for guitars with trem systems as the string spacing is slightly different to those without trems.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
so if i got a trem (any trem) installed, and i had orignally a stop tail,fixed, etc... bridge, i would need to buy an f-spaaced pickup?
Quote by init24
so if i got a trem (any trem) installed, and i had orignally a stop tail,fixed, etc... bridge, i would need to buy an f-spaaced pickup?

Ideally.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
You can still get away with regular spacing. F-spaced pickups have better alignment with the poles than regular spaced. I think the total difference is something like two milimetres, and they don't usually bother with f-spaced pickups for the neck pickup.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
The whole "trem" thing is bullshit.. As is the "f-spaced is for the bridge position only"..

Measure the distance between the outside of the low e to the high e.. If it's 52mm or greater get an F spaced, if it's around 50-51mm get a regular bucker. Simple as that.

(Not that you need the specific spacings, it makes no difference tonally)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ there's a reason for that.

the strings get a little closer, going toward the neck. the alignment to a standard spaced isn't that far off at the neck, so why even bother?

spacing isn't all that critical anyway. look at a standard strat SSS. the neck pickup's poles are practically outside of the E and e strings.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
^ there's a reason for that.

the strings get a little closer, going toward the neck. the alignment to a standard spaced isn't that far off at the neck, so why even bother?

Yes there is some reason to it.. But in no way is the "F-spaced is only for the bridge" a fact (like most people seem to think it is.)

And why bother? Why not.. It doesn't cost anything and it looks better having the pole pieces line up.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
f-spaced means fender spaced then trembucker is the SD version of dimarzio's f-spaced

theyre different because tune-o-matic bridges ie gisbons etc are spaced differently then strat/tele spaced bridges.

f-spaced also includes floydrose and locking tuner bridges because they are spaced as strats and teles are at the bridge.

you can put a non-f-spaced pickup on the guitar youd just have to lean it like the stock single coil is.(eddy did you can!.....)
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
so basically you guys are saying 'if you have the choice, choose the f-spaced for your floyd rose, if you dont, it doesnt matter much'?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
choose f-spaced for anything, really. but it'll work without just as well.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I dont have the choice; Im considering buying a second hand Evo bridge (dimarzio) for my Ibanez rg 350 but it turns out it isnt f-spaced so Im wondering if I should go ahead with the deal or back out.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
you should be fine.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!