Hello,

Do I really need to invest lots of $ in speaker and guitar cables?

I have average cables at best now. Will I notice a significant improvement?

I play with and ENGL Powerball, 2 Carvin Legacy 4 x 12s and some effects.

Do you have recommendations for cables?

As always, thank you very much
I spent $50 on a cardas crosslink speaker cable from www.lavacable.com
if you are using high level gear, as you are, its best to use high quality cables. going from good or medium quality to high quality cables won't make a huge difference but you wil be able to tell the differnce between low and high. with instrument cables the same applies but its more important to get higher quality cables if you are using lots of pedals since each chain in the effects link will have some effect on your tone.

for you, get the crosslink or one of the other top rated speaker cables. as for instrument cables either the lava cable or if you want to spend less look into building your own with canare cables.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Cables dont make a Huge difference, but bad cables will eat your tone. I personally buy Planet Waves cables. Theyre top notch in quality, and they have a Lifetime warranty, meaning, if one breaks, I just have to bring it back to the store, and they give me a new one, free of charge.
Fender Tele > Line 6 Verbzilla > Line 6 DL4 > Line 6 Podxt (With Model Packs and FBV Shortboard) > Yorkville 300-watt Poweramp > Marshall 1960BV
It's not the biggest factor in your tone, obviously, but cables can make a difference. Plus, many high quality expensive ones have lifetime warranties, so if you spend a good chunk of change on one now, you may never have to buy one again. If you keep buying low quality cables b/c they're cheap, you'll spend more in the long run when they mess up.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
yea, they don't make a big difference in tone but good cables will last forever and not harm your tone. Planet waves are good mainstream cables. I get all my cables from www.bayoucables.com , they are all custom made by hand to your specs with high quality material. I couldn't picture using anything else
Yea, +2 to Planet Waves. They are the best for the $$$ IMO.

As well as though your current cable may sound ok, in comparison to a higher quality, like they said above they are not nearly as durable and cannot take as much. I've accidentally crushed my planet waves cable with my amp at a near 90 degree angle and the cable still sounds fine. I was worried that it may have damaged the fibers inside, but i've tried to bend it in the same spot all different ways and it still works like it came out of the box.

Plus Planet Waves gold plates all your jack tips insuring great connection! If you have a good quality guitar and amp, there is no reason for the weakest link in your chain to be your cable!!
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
IMO speaker cables make a pretty big difference. A good quality, short, 12 gauge speaker cables WILL make your amp sound much more powerful/ballsy
Quote by Gutch220
IMO speaker cables make a pretty big difference. A good quality, short, 12 gauge speaker cables WILL make your amp sound much more powerful/ballsy

What he said
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.