Hey i was considering starting up the violin

mostly i wanna play classical pieces.

prob: cash.

i was considering getting an electric. Will it work to the same extent? Could i use my current amp (Marshal tsl602)?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
yeah you can use an electric with a guitar amp, and it will work fine, actually im pretty sure guitar amps are the preferred method for amplifying those.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
nice job w/ getting into violin! i play and it's pretty fun... it actually helps w/ guitar alot
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
I've been wanting to pick up violin for quite some time now... I think now that I know I can but an electric and use my amp, I just might...
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps
i dont really know what is good so maybe you guys could give me some suggestions of a good practice amp with some a effects between 70 and 100pound. cheers

your buying an amp based on weight??
hmm i just ransacked youtube and couldn't find any classical pieces being played on an electric. I play metal on guitar, but i really want to play classical/baroque/we you wanna call them pieces, like Paganini, Vivaldi and Mozart pieces. So can it be done? will it sound like crap?

I also considered getting one of those $100 imports to see if i could be any good at it. The prob is i don't wanna waste money. Any first time buying advice?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
if you want an electric get an electric, and you can usually get a pretty high quality electric cheaper than a high quality acoustic. Just like guitar theres nothing you can do on an acoustic that you cant do on an electric, although the timbre will obviously be a bit different.

Last.fm
If you want to play paganini you'll need to practise like hell i've got friends that play violin and they say his stuff is crazy hard
Paganini and Vivaldi where both virtuoso violinists, and their stuff is generally pretty difficult, with Paganini's regarded as being very difficult.

Last.fm
Quote by sillybuuger12
If you want to play paganini you'll need to practise like hell i've got friends that play violin and they say his stuff is crazy hard

well obviously i'm gonna take it slow, maybe not starting with hot cross buns, but i'm not planning to dive into Paganini.

however that IS my ultimate goal, and i don't wanna mess around owning hundreds of violins, i want one that will last a while, but i can't afford a decent one. i was expecting to pay as much as a classical guitar... damn was i wrong. but i'm thinking around 300 is as much as i can put aside for this. (Canadian Dollars)

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
ive always been interested in learning violin as well but for a decent one it seems like thier as much if not more than some guitars...
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Electric Viola is so much better. You don't have to deal with it being as small as a violin. Violas can go to any size but violins stop at 14 in, not even a full viola. I play a 16 in viola and it pwns.
yeah but i love the sleekness, and i love high pitched instruments. i hate middle instruments a la viola Either bass clef low, like bass guitar or high like flutes and violins. But guitar i like

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build