I just bought EMG pickups: the KFK set. And after paying for installation it would come to almost $300. I have an Ibanez RG5ex1, are these pickups too nice for my guitar? Should i sell the guitar for a better one and put the pickups in it? what should i do.
what amp do you use? and i'm assuming you play metal?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I don't think you really need the KFK set. It just comes with a switch that increases the distortion power, but EMGs get so much distortion most likely you'll end up cranking down your gain rather than wanting to raise it more.
hm, i'm assuming that's like a $300-$400 guitar, so i dunno. if you upgraded from a solid state crate to something tube, you'll see better results for sure.

Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
I don't think you really need the KFK set. It just comes with a switch that increases the distortion power, but EMGs get so much distortion most likely you'll end up cranking down your gain rather than wanting to raise it more.

i find that emg's don't really add get a whopping load of distortion, but it's just clearer and more defined than with stock pickups. but to each his own i suppose.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by UnsignedRecords

i find that emg's don't really add get a whopping load of distortion, but it's just clearer and more defined than with stock pickups. but to each his own i suppose.

I keep the gain on my amp at 4, and I play death metal. My EMGs get so much distortion just on their own that there's no way I can turn it up without making it sound like mush.
Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
I keep the gain on my amp at 4, and I play death metal. My EMGs get so much distortion just on their own that there's no way I can turn it up without making it sound like mush.

well have you compared it to any other guitars? could be the amp.
and mush... ah that sucks.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
well have you compared it to any other guitars? could be the amp.
and mush... ah that sucks.

I use EMGs on all my guitars and thats pretty much the sound I get. I've heard similar stories from other people with EMGs. But I don't know, it can depend on a lot of different things.
Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
I use EMGs on all my guitars and thats pretty much the sound I get. I've heard similar stories from other people with EMGs. But I don't know, it can depend on a lot of different things.

true. the possibilities are endless

... so whatever happened to the threadstarter?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I'm here, i'm not really getting my questioned answered though, haha. My guitar was around $400 and the pickups will almost be around $300 i just want to know if my Ibanez Rg isn't nice enough for KFK EMGs
If you want the pick-up, get it.

I'm not sure about pickups, but I'm pretty sure.

If you get this, and then decide to get the new guitar, you can always take it out of the Ibanez and put it in your new guitar.
in my opinion... uh no, not worth it. unless if you get a nicer guitar in the future and swap them out. also invest in a new amp.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

What does it stand for? And arent there like battery powered pups some where out there?
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by emgpickups.com
EMG stands for Electro-Magnetic Generator!

and yeah, active pickups are battery powered.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
and yeah, active pickups are battery powered.

THANKS DUDE!
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
... welcome.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I say get them. Just get normal ones though not the KFK set. You can always change them to another guitar or sell them or whatever later.

And about the mush guy.. I noticed the EMG 81 in my plywood guitar is a lot clearer and cuts through the distortion better compared to my XXXplorer. My explorer sounds pretty muddy in the upper gain levels.
Quote by UnsignedRecords
hm, i'm assuming that's like a $300-$400 guitar, so i dunno. if you upgraded from a solid state crate to something tube, you'll see better results for sure.

???

So you say that EMGs make your tone clearer and defined, but if you turn the gain up on your amp it turns to mush? Wouldn't EMG pickups make it easier to turn the gain up if they're clearer than the others (theoretically speaking) ?

I've never had any problems with that. The high output EMGs are pretty much the hottest pickups on the market. I've heard of some others being a bit higher output, but those were custom winds.

Also, the reason the KFK set has a booster is because its actually what kerry uses. So you know, they took Kerry King's idea and started selling it pre-packaged with a booster. He uses a relatively mid-gain amp, so the extra gain he gets from his gain boost is rather helpful.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
???

So you say that EMGs make your tone clearer and defined, but if you turn the gain up on your amp it turns to mush? Wouldn't EMG pickups make it easier to turn the gain up if they're clearer than the others (theoretically speaking) ?

ha, i believe that's true, as i don't have a "mush" problem. the only problem i have is that crate head which turns to shit past 2 or 3 o'clock. on any guitar for that matter.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

An EMG 81 costs about $80 USD. So, one would assume all EMG Actives cost about $80. An EMG Afterburner is about $40. Let's do some math children. $80x2+$40+Odds 'N Ends=$200-$230. If you're spending $300 dollars to buy the pickups and get them installed you are getting ripped off. A lot.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
^ oh yeah, forgot to mention that. i got mine installed for like $75-$100.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

I just wired a KFK set into my Jackson Dinky(cheap guitar) and I really like it. It will scream for ever and plays great. If you like the guitar to start with, Playabilty wise. You will probably like it more with the KFK set in it. Mine came with the passive EMGs but, I wanted more balls out of it and it definitely has it now. You can always put the stock parts back if you don't like it in that guitar. The only thing is the hole you have to route and drill for the PA2.